The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple updates coming

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Today will be some major announcements at the WWDC 2012 conference on a lot of Apple hardware and looks like a new IOS 6 coming as well. Looks to be 10 am California time zone. I usually keep a eye on Mac Rumors: Apple Mac iOS Rumors and News You Care About during these events. Im sure there is some live streaming video somewhere on the net. From rumors floating new MP,MBP,MBA in all flavors. Hopefully these updates will be very photo friendly.

f8orbust

Just looked at the Apple website - specs look great. Shame they've gone back to using an air cleaner (oops, I mean fan), but no bother - a MBP is definitely top of my wish list.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm happy with 512. I have a Promise pegsus sitting here 4TBs running Raid 0. I don't need working space. LOL

I do eventually need to replace my drobo though with another Tbolt or USB 3 device. I'm over the Firewire 800 stuff. What we all really need is a USB 3 CF card reader. My Firewire 800 unit is about to die soon.

Ben Rubinstein

I have the Lexar USB3 CF reader, very very happy. crazy fast compared to regular card readers (USB2). Oh and it's almost pocket change.

fultonpics

gotta keep supporting my old employer. ordered one and if they show in store before it gets here, will probably buy another one.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I checked out the new retina MBP in the Apple Store today, and dang that screen is nice!
The smaller size and lighter weight will be nice too if you lug it around.

I´m on the verge of ordering one, with 16 GB and 500GB (my ´07 MacPro feels old, and new technique makes it less mandatory with 4 internal disk bays...).

But there are a couple of questions that have to get an answer before pushing the ´buy now´ button. all related to how the graphics will cooperate. First a couple of prerequisites: I use Lightroom 4, and I just plain will NOT, under any circumstances, go through converting my entire library to Aperture, so it will have to work with Lightroom. Also, I intend to keep and use my 30" Cinema Display for stationary use; I know it can indeed be hooked up, but....

So, my questions are

1) will the graphics of the retina MBP render Lightroom at full resolution on the Cinema Display right away, or is there some retina-related gotcha that prevents it? (I´m not talking about dual display, just mirroring)

2) Just how awful will the Lightroom rendering on the built-in retina screen look before Adobe updates it (and it´s useless to ask if anybody knows when they´ll do that...:eek:). I´ll need it when traveling, and want to actually see what I´ve got.

3) Is it possible to calibrate the retina display fully, and is the gamut good enough?

The reason I ask here and not in an Apple forum is, of course that this is a place for real, discerning pro photogs (flattering is good...:thumbs:), and many with the resources to actually get and try this new toy right away. So I´d be very grateful for answers from people who have actually tried it; the spec sheets I can read myself....;)

(And, moderators, feel free to move this wherever you feel is more apt...)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I thought the main benefit would be previewing prints at the 220ppi of the retina screen - but it was IMMEDIATELY obvious how much more readable text is. It has the definition of systems fonts on Windows with the type facing of OS X. I was able to shrink it to minuscule sizes and still read it. So it's not just the higher density, it also has better micro-contrast.

Don't know about Lightroom, but I'd be surprised if it didn't just work right. Adobe has done some weird stuff in the past, but these days it seems their software is all Cocoa/AppKit, Quartz 2D and 64-bit. (LR is as far as I can tell.)