The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

birthday presents to self

Godfrey

The Leica CL body I bought from a person in The Netherlands arrived yesterday. Early ... I wasn't expecting it to get here until September.

It's beautiful—just as described, clean and smooth operating, very little wear. Supposedly very recently serviced, and it looks it. The meter seems right on the money. I fitted its standard lens (M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 from the CLE) and it is just as I remembered it: one of my favorite M-mount cameras from the past. Got to load it up today and go make some pixtures.

And then ... In another moment's lapse to Magpie Syndrome, chatting with a friend on another forum about compact medium format cameras, looking at the pretty but pricey Fuji GF670 and Voigtländer Bessa II cameras, I spied a very nice looking condition Balda Baldix 6x6 folder with Baltar lens. One of the smallest 6x6 folders ever, and beautiful...

I caved when I saw it. I doubt I'll shoot with it too much, but it's just such a pretty, compact camera for a 6x6 ... It may end up a working shelf queen, but as long as I put a roll of film through it and get a picture or two, it will meet my expectations.

Happy Birthday to me! ;-)

D&A

Happy Birthday Godfrey! What great little presents to yourself but thats what Birthday's are for! Funny, I just posted on the other Thread regarding Photokina rumors (prior to seeing your post here) and suggested a Leica CL type digital camera from Lecia as a excellent entry level camera Leica could introduce as a lower priced alternative to an M9 and it's implications. The details are in my other post. Have fun on your special day!

Dave (D&A)

Godfrey

Thanks!

I've got film in the CL now, and the Baldix shipment notification has fired off. Now I just need to find the time and do some shooting!

(PS: the X2 continues to delight me. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks nice :)

Happy Birthday, Godfrey!

Now, what do I have to do to deserve getting something like that for my birthday, I wonder...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks!

Deserve? Who said anything about deserve? :)
Ah... so it's ok then? They do have a slightly used GF670 at my local pusher's for $1,300.

I'm going over there this afternoon to have a look.

Ah... but there's a Baldix on the Great Big Auction Site also. Much cheaper. Think, think....

bensonga

Happy birthday Godfrey.....great choices for your B'Day gift to self!

My birthday is coming up soon (Sept).....hmmm, what to get, what to get.

My wife will probably be shopping for me at REI. I'm thinking something from KEH could be more fun. ;-)

Gary

Godfrey

Ah... so it's ok then? They do have a slightly used GF670 at my local pusher's for $1,300.

I'm going over there this afternoon to have a look.

Ah... but there's a Baldix on the Great Big Auction Site also. Much cheaper. Think, think....
I'd buy a Fuji GF670 in a heartbeat if I thought I'd use it enough. But $1300 for something I might use once in a rare while is just too much. The Baldix cost me less than $200, which I can accept as a price for a happy lark with a pretty old camera. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Went to have a look at the GF670 today. Like new in box. Would I use it? Yes, a lot. Smaller than I thought and a perfect travel companion together with some digital wonder. We'll see next week :)