The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

guys, I could use some friendly advice...

MichaelM6

Hi everyone (I'm sure this is the wrong place to put this, but you guys at least know who I am, and some of you I feel like I actually know!)

some of you know me from my posts in the 'fun with the M' thread...and you've probably noticed that I enjoy photographing pretty girls. Well, see, I'd really love to become a fashion / editorial photographer. A good one. Well, actually, a great one.

Somehow, I've been offered an internship/apprenticeship directly from Jim Jordan (jimjordanphotography). I spoke with him today for a while and got a pretty good idea of what I'd be doing. It would be a couple days a week, 8-10 hour days...retouching, setting up lights and equipment, a little shooting, archiving, meeting with clients, storyboarding shoots...everything.

I'm still sorta young (sorta) and I used to live in San Diego (internship is in Calabasas, north of LA). I have some friends I can crash with for a bit and I guess I can figure the rest out. Question is - should I go for it?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From a admin point of view I really do not want to see comments on Jim Jordan posted on this forum good , bad or ugly. That gets into personal things about a fellow photographer and peoples reputation are on the line just as it would be with me. So folks direct your answers more towards is this a good approach for a young photographer to take.

Now from me personally as i worked as a assistant for about 4 years. Jump all over it as being a assistant is a great learning venue by learning by doing. I learned a lot when I did it and I learned things I was not sure of until I got to the point I was teaching him lighting than it was time for me to leave the nest. But its a great starting place and also if not to get into Jim himself but if you like his work and what type of shooting he does than if that is the direction you want to take than even better. Fare warning your going to work your *** off and thats a great thing. I wish you a ton of luck and have fun.

And yes this should be in the Sunset Bar section. I'll move it in a couple days

MichaelM6

I see what you mean. I don't want this to be a Jim Jordan discussion. This is just about 'what the hell should I do?'. I love his style and so for me, from that perspective, it would be huge. Thank you for pointing that out.

Guy, thank you. That's great advice. I am so passionate about photography - I would love to work my a** off, trust me.

thanks,

Michael

Godfrey

I would say that if Jim Jordan does the kind of photography you want to do, and is a person with whom you can relate regards his ability to teach you, then working for him as an intern or assistant would be a great thing for you.

Most any photographer at all who is worth the title has taken advantage of opportunities like that. Even if the specific assistantship/internship was horrific and stressful, they've learned a lot. (I learned a tremendous lot from studying with a couple of pretty awful professors, as well as with a lot of amazing professors, in my educational career.)

I'd do it.

Note: I know nothing about Jim Jordan, his photography, etc. Totally unbiased. ;-)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds like a good match than. Honestly if you want to learn from someone you should go after people that do the work you want to do and learn all you can. Not that learning from someone whos work you don't want to do is bad thing you'll just be more interested in learning a style you like better. I have done everything school, assistant, worked 16 years as a corporate photographer and freelancer. But you'll most likely learn more as a assistant.

Hosermage

Sounds like a good opportunity, especially if you think that it's not too big of a trade-off to unroot yourself. I, for one, will welcome you to LA, but Calabasas is not a very friendly town if you're a smoker, just so you know :)

ashwinrao1

It sounds like an opportunity to explore a career that you wish to pursue, in a setting that's not too far away. I would ask in converse what you are giving up (social obligations, time with your girlfriend, present employment) in order to do this, and whether the balance of such a career move requires sacrifice that's not compatible with the rest of your life. It's one thing to pursue a dream. It's yet another to ditch everything that's come before to pursue it...it's a tricky balance, but if the piece fall into the right spots, go for it!

MichaelM6

Sounds like a good opportunity, especially if you think that it's not too big of a trade-off to unroot yourself. I, for one, will welcome you to LA, but Calabasas is not a very friendly town if you're a smoker, just so you know :)
haha don't worry, I'm certainly not! I've been to Calabasas a few times...kind of sleepy!

Its good to know you're out there!

MichaelM6

It sounds like an opportunity to explore a career that you wish to pursue, in a setting that's not too far away. I would ask in converse what you are giving up (social obligations, time with your girlfriend, present employment) in order to do this, and whether the balance of such a career move requires sacrifice that's not compatible with the rest of your life. It's one thing to pursue a dream. It's yet another to ditch everything that's come before to pursue it...it's a tricky balance, but if the piece fall into the right spots, go for it!
Excellent points Ashwin. Ultimately I'm in bit of a transition, and I would really welcome a change. My career isn't moving forward the way I'd like it to and photography is such a passion. Its a dream to pursue it as a career. Still, it is quite a move and a risk, that's for sure. Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, my girlfriend and I broke up this weekend (before this opportunity presented itself - perhaps some sort of cosmic sign?).

jlm

Workshop Member
in my opinion, internship/appreticeships should be paid positions, though not all are. surely you will be there learning, but you will also be working your *** off. your boss will benefit and should be paying for that, and your pay rate should reflect your experience and ability. You should also be protected by worker's comp and un-employment insurances, both of which require you get a paycheck. if your boss has a legit business, he will also have a general liability policy, which will cover your actions if you are his employee, so if you drop that crystal vase and are being paid, his insurance will cover, but not if you are not an employee.
I am making an important distinction between "employee", which I am recommending, and "freelancer" the latter being an IRS dodge for the most part with a very specific set of conditions required

MichaelM6

in my opinion, internship/appreticeships should be paid positions, though not all are. surely you will be there learning, but you will also be working your *** off. your boss will benefit and should be paying for that, and your pay rate should reflect your experience and ability. You should also be protected by worker's comp and un-employment insurances, both of which require you get a paycheck. if your boss has a legit business, he will also have a general liability policy, which will cover your actions if you are his employee, so if you drop that crystal vase and are being paid, his insurance will cover, but not if you are not an employee.
I am making an important distinction between "employee", which I am recommending, and "freelancer" the latter being an IRS dodge for the most part with a very specific set of conditions required
good advice - the other side of the equation. Risk / reward.

dude163

You get to move to San Diego :)

and if you are newly single a chance to meet single photogenic models !

Lloyd

I don't think I can add much to the above. They've pretty much covered it. Good luck with the decision.

MichaelM6

update....

Good friends, opportunities, and timing. Life is crazy. My girlfriend and I break up last weekend. I get a job offer Tuesday. Wednesday I call a friend who is actually looking for a roommate, since his girlfriend literally just moved out. And he needs help running his volleyball club (we met in volleyball 15 years ago as kids). In 4 days I go from looking at another winter on the east coast and now I'll be in sunny Southern California working for a world class photographer. Life. Is. Crazy.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going for it.

dude163

Congrats indeed, you owe me the obligatory San Diego sunset over the pacific now........

Cant believe I lived there 10 years and didnt take any shots :(