The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica and Nikon USA warranties are not transferrable

Brian S

At least the stores that I have bought at will ask if it is a gift and give a gift receipt. Now if the person sells you the D800e "gift" for $4,000 or an M Monochrom for $10,000- let's hope you can get it repaired under warranty. For that kind of money, at least I am going to buy it directly from a reputable dealer and not someone that just wants to flip a camera for a quick profit. I guess some people have way too much money and not much patience. They can afford to just pick up a new one of it breaks. Otherwise, why would anyone pay such a premium to get a new DIGITAL camera.

Brian S

The good news is we have great members overall and I can't tell you how much that makes a difference .
I always use a member's posts in the discussion threads as their reference. Discussion posts give you an idea of the person you are dealing with. Many classified ads are placed by members that have never posted in a discussion thread, their entire post count consists of those in classified ads. In the last 24 hours, there were 30 threads about Leica equipment in the Classified forum- far more than threads in the discussion forum. I'm as "gear-oriented" as it gets... but it seems lop-sided. Price gouging and flipping brand-new cameras for a quick profit- out of place.

Shashin

When I buy something used, I assume no warranty. There are many products that have no transferrable warranties. But there is a secret to warranties--manufacturers don't issue them because they think you will use them. If the products fail in the warranty period, they ain't making money. They would rather send out reliable products. Statistically, your product should work.

OK, now you can post your antidotal stories...

anthonysemone

Indeed, Shashin, I assume with the purchase of a used product that no warranty applies. So I think you're right on about that. FWIW, I ignore offers on new Nikon items (Fuji is also in this camp as well, at least according to their website) where the seller is asserting that it is "never registered; full warranty available; or, similar such language. I also agree that if these posters are ignored, their offering will drop to the bottom of the thread and they'll end up with no sale. It is from my point of view disingenous at least to promise something that cannot be delivered upon

Last edited:

seakayaker

I always use a member's posts in the discussion threads as their reference. Discussion posts give you an idea of the person you are dealing with. Many classified ads are placed by members that have never posted in a discussion thread, their entire post count consists of those in classified ads. In the last 24 hours, there were 30 threads about Leica equipment in the Classified forum- far more than threads in the discussion forum. I'm as "gear-oriented" as it gets... but it seems lop-sided. Price gouging and flipping brand-new cameras for a quick profit- out of place.
+1

I would not purchase an expensive piece of camera equipment from the B&S forum unless I have confidence in the person selling. I may not know them but if I have seen that they have been active on the forum threads and have previous sales with positive comments then I would take the risk.

Definitely not buying from someone with two posts and marking up a camera a couple of thousand dollars.

Ignore them is the best policy that I can practice. I appreciate that Guy and the mods do not want to be the police with hard and fast rules and the members have to be self policing. I also appreciate Roger starting the thread here to start the discussion, once again, when questionable activity is detected on the buy and sell forum.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I can't argue this and would not even try. It's my biggest bitch. Impossible to search each members post and control. It bugs all of us as they are only here to sell and not give anything back. Now your talking to a guy and it's other owner Jack plus our mods. that give all they can to our discussion. Trust me it rubs us the wrong way and I love the members that ARE HERE donating there time and effort to help others. That my friends is the GetDPI way. So my advice IGNORE those posts, they will not sell there stuff and just stop signing up for that purpose only. We have to remember its a free public forum and this will happen. To stop it in total than we would have to go fee based in the buy and sell. Not sure that will sit well with our members. It's a catch 22 folks.

StephenPatterson

I am also not a fan of the way in which Leica warranty their products. Because Leica allows individual distributors on a country by country basis to determine their own warranty policies the customers are left often dazed and confused. Buying in the USA? Well, you get a passport three year warranty of M lenses, almost an insurance policy covering many types of accidental damage, but M bodies are two years and no passport. Buying in the UK? Different warranty policies based on whether or not you reside in Great Britain. And on and on...

Buying in Hong Kong? Don't even bother with Schmidt, just send directly to Leica AG in Solms.

Leica is a premium brand, selling a premium product at a premium price. They need a premium warranty policy to complete the package.

Brian S

"** Commercial posts of any type are not allowed in this forum, use the commercial vendor section instead.

** Please do NOT say an item is "Brand New In Box" or "With Full Warranty" as that can only come from a dealer and they cannot post new gear in this section!"

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/39974-leica-m-monochrom-monochrome.html

As I understand it: the above post insinuates that the camera is brand new, in box, with full warranty. I believe that this does not adhere to the rules for individuals posting in the "Buy and Sell forum". The warranty is not transferable.

The Buy and Sell forum should not be used as a "Black Market" for new equipment. Basically, sellers signing up for new equipment to buy just to flip it for a profit. The rules as stated -if adhered to- would prevent scalpers from using the classified ad section as a black market. Let them find their suckers on Ebay and Amazon- at least they will have to pay for the ad. This is a photography forum, not some dark back alley.

Guy Mancuso

I have got mine... well sort of.
I have received a phone call from my dealer today 8/28/2012 that my order has arrived.
Here it is. USA version. with receipt. not registered of course.

asking for $9950. or make a me a "reasonable" offer.

PayPal only.

As it is written nowhere does it say brand new nor does it say warranty is transferable nor implies it. Brian bottom line I am nor is our mods going to ban everyone that signs up and than post for sale items as the only participation here. We don't have the time to do that AND some of these folks are new and do participate in discussion. Also there is no rule they have to participate either. I'm not defending this guy at all but I am defending. Our stance on our rules and what we can and what we can't do. Your asking for a form of censorship, that we will not do. I totally understand what your saying don't get me wrong it is frustrating but as I said before you IGNORE there posts don't make any comments to keep bumping there ad up the ladder and no one is going to buy it anyway they will just disappear in the night. It's really the best and only solution outside of making it a pay site.

Frankly if someone needs a D800 at over 200 dollars above retail it's there right to spend it. As a Pro myself sometimes it's whatever it takes to get gear in hand. If I'm in a hurry and I need it well than I have the right to consider losing a extra 200 dollars to get it. Dumb yes but sometimes folks have to do things that don't make sense. We can't judge people's needs or wants. Hell I question a lot of sales even at reasonable prices on some gear I think is junk. It is what it is, ones persons junk is another's treasure.

anthonysemone

Guy, FWIW, Fred Miranda requires payment for B&S and the same phenomenon happens over there as well. What really helps on FM is the feedback system which allows an immediate read on the seller's, well, feedback, and which also logs the posts of the selling individual. So, it's really easy to see if the guy has sold 100 batteries to get his/her Great rating, made no contributions to any of the Boards and now shows up with a 10 grand price on the MM.

Guy Mancuso

I know Fred did a nice job on his buy and sell section and one to look at for sure. We have canned software and if we ever wanted to go for pay than we would hire a guy to develop something like that. Believe me I brought it up several times about going for a pay setup. The intent when we started this was for great standing members to sell there gear to other members. I freely admit we are being taken advantage of. The problem is will our 14k members accept a pay buy and sell setup without leaving us on a permenant basis. Obviously we don't want to lose members. This is our wall to go forward. One thing that stops me personally is we have such great members here and maybe bias but we are maybe the best discussion , help, share forums around and I don't want to interfere with. I'm sure almost every member says the same thing GetDPI is like there home and they learn a lot here , have fun in a hassle free environment . Honestly that is our biggest advantage of any other forum. We are moderated to avoid all that crap that goes on. Honestly I give ourselves a lot of credit for that. I have a hard time screwing that up in anyway. Me personally has a great reputation as well as Jack on the forums and we want our site to be the same. This is a place to learn and share, that's what we both believe in and why we started this place.

Guy Mancuso

Okay I need to go trim the trees out front before it hits a 110 degrees. I lost my landscaper because he is afraid to drive here get pulled over and get deported. Don't get me started on this one.

bradhusick

I would gladly pay between $10 and $25 per year for the privilege of posting on the B&S forum here on GetDPI. The other forums on GetDPI could stay free. I think that would dissuade many undesirables.

If you agree, post here!

Brad

Guy Mancuso

Brad start a poll in the sunset bar. It would be nice for us to see what people think. Would you mind doing that . I'm up to my armpits in tree trimming. Im living a freaking nightmare with these trees. My cheapest quote was 900 bucks that's almost a lens why I'm out there doing it. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I know Fred did a nice job on his buy and sell section and one to look at for sure. We have canned software and if we ever wanted to go for pay than we would hire a guy to develop something like that. Believe me I brought it up several times about going for a pay setup. The intent when we started this was for great standing members to sell there gear to other members. I freely admit we are being taken advantage of. The problem is will our 14k members accept a pay buy and sell setup without leaving us on a permenant basis. Obviously we don't want to lose members. This is our wall to go forward. One thing that stops me personally is we have such great members here and maybe bias but we are maybe the best discussion , help, share forums around and I don't want to interfere with. I'm sure almost every member says the same thing GetDPI is like there home and they learn a lot here , have fun in a hassle free environment . Honestly that is our biggest advantage of any other forum. We are moderated to avoid all that crap that goes on. Honestly I give ourselves a lot of credit for that. I have a hard time screwing that up in anyway. Me personally has a great reputation as well as Jack on the forums and we want our site to be the same. This is a place to learn and share, that's what we both believe in and why we started this place.
My own perspective is I'd love to charge users who ONLY participate in the B&S forum the same way eBay charges :ROTFL:

BUT..... I feel like our active, core participant group should get it as a benefit of participating.

The reality is the easiest way to handle it is an annual membership fee for the B&S. First, I believe that most active members would understand that it helps support the overhead for the site. Second, it may (no guarantee) help qualify B&S-only posters. We'd probably do something like a $29.95 annual fee.

Guy Mancuso

I'm in total agreement bud. We did not do it because we wanted it free for members but times have changed and I would hope they understand.

D&A

My own perspective is I'd love to charge users who ONLY participate in the B&S forum the same way eBay charges :ROTFL:

BUT..... I feel like our active, core participant group should get it as a benefit of participating.

The reality is the easiest way to handle it is an annual membership fee for the B&S. First, I believe that most active members would understand that it helps support the overhead for the site. Second, it may (no guarantee) help qualify B&S-only posters. We'd probably do something like a $29.95 annual fee.
I have absolutely no quams about paying an annual fee (I can only speak for myself of course) but am not sure how a $29.95 fee is going to change the dynamics of the B&S board in terms of removing for the most part what may be deemed by some as "undersirable" characteristics it sometimes has. I'm not refering to the "one time" poster who's trying to quickly unload an item for a quick profit. The fee would most certainly help defray the costs of running Getdpi, and thats most certainly understandable, but developing a B&S board that achieves some of the goals thats been talked about here and elsewhere, I believe is going to take something more (or in addition to) than just $29.95...and I'm not refering to simply charging more money (than $29.95). To be honest I don't have the answer but I think it at the very least it will take some sort of initial consensus by members of Getdpi...at least initially to get a start to some changes and then fine tune as things get rolling. Just my 2 MB worth.

As for keeping this "on topic" regarding the way Leica USA handles warrenties for purchasers of used items still under warrenty? I've seen a number of ways they have delt with this and in my experience have been extremely flexable and understanding, almost to the point of being counter to what is sometimes expressed or implied. I take my hat off to them!

Lastly to Guy, I have never seen so many trucks and people going into the tree cutting business as I've seen in the last 3-4 years. It's multiplied by leaps and bounds and at those prices, I can see why! I should seriously consider selling all my photographic stuff and buy myself a big flat bed truck and the biggest chain saw I can find. Trouble is knowing me, I'll cut my shutter "trigger" finger off in the process and who knows what other damage to the surrounding property I'm hired to work on. Tell you what Guy, in trade for one of your current DSLR's, I'm your man. I'll be right over to chop down those trees of yours.... LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: