Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica and Nikon USA warranties are not transferrable

Post Thanks / Like

Leica and Nikon USA warranties are not transferrable

Adhering to the forum guidelines of not posting pricing advice in the forum buy sell ...feel compelled to lay this out there . The Leica M9/M9P warranty is not transferrable for items purchased in the USA . Its a Leica USA policy and I checked it many times directly with Christian Erhardt when he ran Leica s service department . Unless you have original invoice with your name on it from an authorized Leica dealer ...you have no warranty . (this does not mean that Leica will not choose to repair something without proof of warranty ).

My experience is that early in the product life cycle ..Leica didn t ask but generally when the bodies started to go out of warranty ...they start to ask .

This S2 is the exception and the warranty is transferrable . They really want to know who has the S2 and will update the registration if you send it in.

Nikon USA has the same policy .....if you don t have an original invoice with your name on it from an authorized NIKON USA dealer ..you have no USA warranty . This is common knowledge on the Nikon forums and they have plenty of examples of even NPS members being held up for lack of the invoice . .

Just my opinion ..but its dishonest to state that a item has a warranty because its new ..it doesn t unless you can get a dealer to issue a invoice in the buyers name . Never registered does mean anything .

Don t agree please call either Leica or Nikon directly before you refute the accuracy of this post . Statements like my dealer has never had a problem don t cut it . (FYI each country distributor may have different policies but this is how the USA warranties work.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica and Nikon USA warranties are not transferrable

What if the seller is a trusted person and is willing to help you if the need arises? I mean, if the seller is willing to open a claim for you, and you send the package in and have the package return back to your address, then Leica'd be none the wiser?
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica USA warranties are not transferrable as Roger has said in his original post. You can buy an additional year warranty from Leica Camera AG that is transferrable. I bought one before my warranty ran out last year - just in case and thankfully did not have to use it. The link to the site is:
    Leica Camera AG - Service - Warranty Extension

The cost is 290 euros or $363 with todays' exchange rate. So this in effect takes the standard warranty to a transferrable 3 year warranty, but from what I read you can not extend it beyond that period.

I think that Leica is the only camera manufacturer that offers this.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    What if the seller is a trusted person and is willing to help you if the need arises? I mean, if the seller is willing to open a claim for you, and you send the package in and have the package return back to your address, then Leica'd be none the wiser?
    That would be one way of getting around it.

Post Thanks / Like

This works and is somewhat standard practice . Where it gets tricky is when the new buyer sells the camera . Because of this misunderstanding of how warranties work .....unsuspecting buyers send in the camera and then its too late .

What is bothersome and why I posted this .....sellers buying the latest and greatest with an explicit purpose of “flipping” the camera for a profit . Then misrepresenting the item as having a full warranty.

If you know the person is trusted and willing to help with warranty work that is much different .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Misleading Leica about the owner of a camera--so that Leica would be "none the wiser" and would repair it for free--is fraud. (E.g., Cal. Pen. Code § 484, subd. a.)

You can decide for yourself whether you want to offer to commit a crime in order to sell your camera.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been posts in LUF that the Leica worldwide warranty is transferable. If this is the case, shouldn't the Leica warranty be valid (USA bought or not) if a repair is sent directly to Solms?

Would be good for a potential buyer to validate this prior to making a decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn t it be better if the seller did this so that he could properly answer the questions about warranty . We are still seeing buy /sell posts that say..never registered full warranty . I ve bought plenty of Leica gear and never saw a international warranty in an officially imported product . But you are correct the buyer should verify this .

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just sold my D800 but I orginal owner sent it in for repair before I shipped to buyer and I will do that with anything I sold in Nikon for my buyers. A lot of times I will state that in my ads too. Folks should understand these warranty policy of diffrent OEMs but seriously it should be the product itself and not the owner. So yes I totally disagree with Leica and Nikon. If you have a valid receipt for a item in the warranty time period it should be honored regardless of owner. To me it's a bad policy that Nikon and Leica have. It's forcing people to buy new and that to me is not good policy and just flat out greedy. I love buying used gear as many of us do here on GetDPI. This just is not a fair policy. My opinion
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Wouldn t it be better if the seller did this so that he could properly answer the questions about warranty . We are still seeing buy /sell posts that say..never registered full warranty . I ve bought plenty of Leica gear and never saw a international warranty in an officially imported product . But you are correct the buyer should verify this .

The end of the day though Roger it's on the buyer regardless what the seller posts. I know it seems not a good thing to post from the seller but it really falls in the buyers lap. I know this is frustrating and don't disagree. I really have no issue of this being brought up but price I do. We just can't give a thumbs up or thumbs down on what someone wants to sell there gear for and honestly Leica products are some of the biggest selling issues on this and other forums.

Believe me it frustrates the hell out of us seeing overpriced sales but it's always a buyers market to decide.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

I agree with both your posts . You may remember I was all over Leica about this when they introduced the M8 . The S2 warranty is the way to do it. You get a year and can buy another (darn expensive $1795 per year) but its transferrable . The depreciation of the available warranty should be reflected in the price ...have 12 months left should be more than the camera with 60 days .

In practice I haven t seen Leica be unreasonable but I would guess that a camera that goes thru more than a few owners ..it might be fair to say enough is enough .

Nikon has been lousy on the D800 ....even NPS members are given a tough time and they have the NPS sale on file .

I think this is different than price discussions ..because it plays off the uninformed ...condition is different than warranty ....so its new condition without original buyer warranty . Maybe thats it .....you could have a rule that states you can not represent the warranty as new unless you can confirm its transferrable .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We went LNIB and unless from a dealer we eliminated the NEW from the buy and sell. This helps some for sure. Honestly I would just like to delete the overprice stuff too but than its censorship which we are very careful about. Seriously I hate rules but people abuse things so we have no choice. It's tough on us too we are smart folks and see right through the veils people create. I know many of our members do too.

Now I know Leica has been good about the warranties on used sales for folks and we should thank them but we can't depend on it either.

Now I will say Nikon surprise surprise did turn my D800 around in less than a week, no NPS but I did put a note of who I am too. You know working pro stuff. They fixed the lock on the drive switch and yes they did adjust the Left AF that I asked them to check. Maybe I got lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger,

FWIW, I completely agree with you. In any event, however, your "head's up" post is likely to make no difference whatsoever on the frequency with which such warranty statements are made in the FS section for Leica and Nikon USA gear. Not unless the Mods are willing to block those posts and require the sellers to omit those statements from their offers. Not everybody here who posts, e.g., Nikon gear, is Mancuso who is willing to support the warranty claims on Nikon gear that he sells - diamond in the rough comes to mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even if you can block it from the post, you can't block the buyer from sneaking it during private messages. So, I rather let people post whatever, at least that way I'll know right away not to deal with these sellers
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by anthonysemone View Post
    Roger,

FWIW, I completely agree with you. In any event, however, your "head's up" post is likely to make no difference whatsoever on the frequency with which such warranty statements are made in the FS section for Leica and Nikon USA gear. Not unless the Mods are willing to block those posts and require the sellers to omit those statements from their offers. Not everybody here who posts, e.g., Nikon gear, is Mancuso who is willing to support the warranty claims on Nikon gear that he sells - diamond in the rough comes to mind
    Problem is we can't guarantee we can do that on a timely and consistent basis. Everyone on our side of the fence has jobs and such. Geez I'm here too much to start with. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even if you can block it from the post, you can't block the buyer from sneaking it during private messages. So, I rather let people post whatever, at least that way I'll know right away not to deal with these sellers
    Honestly that's the key ignore the posts and either one or two things happen. The ad will just slide down naturally in order and seller just won't bother anymore. The age old don't feed the monkeys applies here. Ignore them really is the best solution in many ways. Also biggy don't buy stuff 25 percent or more over retail. If there is no market it goes away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The good news is we have great members overall and I can't tell you how much that makes a difference .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post

. . .
    I think this is different than price discussions ..because it plays off the uninformed ...condition is different than warranty ....so its new condition without original buyer warranty . Maybe thats it .....you could have a rule that states you can not represent the warranty as new unless you can confirm its transferrable .
    In the end it is buyer beware plain and simple. Buyers need to do their due diligence researching the claims of the seller. Likewise, the seller should also be willing to back their claims as to condition and warranty support.

Post Thanks / Like

The non-transferable warranty could be to prevent price-gouging on new cameras. I've seen some price gouging on both the D800e and M Monochrom. Having a non-transferable warranty adds risk to the premium paid. If someone is going to buy a camera just to flip it, you have to wonder if they will handle the repair with the company 23 months later. I'll wait for my Monochrom from Dale rather than pay an extra $2K+ just to get it a month sooner, and have to deal with a third party for repair.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good points, all. Non-transferrability raises for me the question about what would Nikon do if someone were to buy me a D800 as a present, and, then, on the way to work, he/she slips on a banana peel and croaks I've now got a camera with no warranty from Nikon because the person who purchased it is now dead and unable to support warranty work under their name. ARGH. Looks like a great opportunity for Mack or other warranty vendors to make some bucks, assuming that they deliver LOL

Post Thanks / Like

At least the stores that I have bought at will ask if it is a gift and give a gift receipt. Now if the person sells you the D800e "gift" for $4,000 or an M Monochrom for $10,000- let's hope you can get it repaired under warranty. For that kind of money, at least I am going to buy it directly from a reputable dealer and not someone that just wants to flip a camera for a quick profit. I guess some people have way too much money and not much patience. They can afford to just pick up a new one of it breaks. Otherwise, why would anyone pay such a premium to get a new DIGITAL camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The good news is we have great members overall and I can't tell you how much that makes a difference .
    I always use a member's posts in the discussion threads as their reference. Discussion posts give you an idea of the person you are dealing with. Many classified ads are placed by members that have never posted in a discussion thread, their entire post count consists of those in classified ads. In the last 24 hours, there were 30 threads about Leica equipment in the Classified forum- far more than threads in the discussion forum. I'm as "gear-oriented" as it gets... but it seems lop-sided. Price gouging and flipping brand-new cameras for a quick profit- out of place.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I buy something used, I assume no warranty. There are many products that have no transferrable warranties. But there is a secret to warranties--manufacturers don't issue them because they think you will use them. If the products fail in the warranty period, they ain't making money. They would rather send out reliable products. Statistically, your product should work.

OK, now you can post your antidotal stories...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, Shashin, I assume with the purchase of a used product that no warranty applies. So I think you're right on about that. FWIW, I ignore offers on new Nikon items (Fuji is also in this camp as well, at least according to their website) where the seller is asserting that it is "never registered; full warranty available; or, similar such language. I also agree that if these posters are ignored, their offering will drop to the bottom of the thread and they'll end up with no sale. It is from my point of view disingenous at least to promise something that cannot be delivered upon
    Last edited by anthonysemone; 30th August 2012 at 17:52. Reason: spelling

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    I always use a member's posts in the discussion threads as their reference. Discussion posts give you an idea of the person you are dealing with. Many classified ads are placed by members that have never posted in a discussion thread, their entire post count consists of those in classified ads. In the last 24 hours, there were 30 threads about Leica equipment in the Classified forum- far more than threads in the discussion forum. I'm as "gear-oriented" as it gets... but it seems lop-sided. Price gouging and flipping brand-new cameras for a quick profit- out of place.
    +1

I would not purchase an expensive piece of camera equipment from the B&S forum unless I have confidence in the person selling. I may not know them but if I have seen that they have been active on the forum threads and have previous sales with positive comments then I would take the risk.

Definitely not buying from someone with two posts and marking up a camera a couple of thousand dollars.

Ignore them is the best policy that I can practice. I appreciate that Guy and the mods do not want to be the police with hard and fast rules and the members have to be self policing. I also appreciate Roger starting the thread here to start the discussion, once again, when questionable activity is detected on the buy and sell forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Well I can't argue this and would not even try. It's my biggest bitch. Impossible to search each members post and control. It bugs all of us as they are only here to sell and not give anything back. Now your talking to a guy and it's other owner Jack plus our mods. that give all they can to our discussion. Trust me it rubs us the wrong way and I love the members that ARE HERE donating there time and effort to help others. That my friends is the GetDPI way. So my advice IGNORE those posts, they will not sell there stuff and just stop signing up for that purpose only. We have to remember its a free public forum and this will happen. To stop it in total than we would have to go fee based in the buy and sell. Not sure that will sit well with our members. It's a catch 22 folks.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also not a fan of the way in which Leica warranty their products. Because Leica allows individual distributors on a country by country basis to determine their own warranty policies the customers are left often dazed and confused. Buying in the USA? Well, you get a passport three year warranty of M lenses, almost an insurance policy covering many types of accidental damage, but M bodies are two years and no passport. Buying in the UK? Different warranty policies based on whether or not you reside in Great Britain. And on and on...

Buying in Hong Kong? Don't even bother with Schmidt, just send directly to Leica AG in Solms.

Leica is a premium brand, selling a premium product at a premium price. They need a premium warranty policy to complete the package.

Post Thanks / Like

"** Commercial posts of any type are not allowed in this forum, use the commercial vendor section instead.

** Please do NOT say an item is "Brand New In Box" or "With Full Warranty" as that can only come from a dealer and they cannot post new gear in this section!"

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-f...onochrome.html

As I understand it: the above post insinuates that the camera is brand new, in box, with full warranty. I believe that this does not adhere to the rules for individuals posting in the "Buy and Sell forum". The warranty is not transferable.

The Buy and Sell forum should not be used as a "Black Market" for new equipment. Basically, sellers signing up for new equipment to buy just to flip it for a profit. The rules as stated -if adhered to- would prevent scalpers from using the classified ad section as a black market. Let them find their suckers on Ebay and Amazon- at least they will have to pay for the ad. This is a photography forum, not some dark back alley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have got mine... well sort of.
    I have received a phone call from my dealer today 8/28/2012 that my order has arrived.
    Here it is. USA version. with receipt. not registered of course.

asking for $9950. or make a me a "reasonable" offer.

PayPal only.

As it is written nowhere does it say brand new nor does it say warranty is transferable nor implies it. Brian bottom line I am nor is our mods going to ban everyone that signs up and than post for sale items as the only participation here. We don't have the time to do that AND some of these folks are new and do participate in discussion. Also there is no rule they have to participate either. I'm not defending this guy at all but I am defending. Our stance on our rules and what we can and what we can't do. Your asking for a form of censorship, that we will not do. I totally understand what your saying don't get me wrong it is frustrating but as I said before you IGNORE there posts don't make any comments to keep bumping there ad up the ladder and no one is going to buy it anyway they will just disappear in the night. It's really the best and only solution outside of making it a pay site.

Frankly if someone needs a D800 at over 200 dollars above retail it's there right to spend it. As a Pro myself sometimes it's whatever it takes to get gear in hand. If I'm in a hurry and I need it well than I have the right to consider losing a extra 200 dollars to get it. Dumb yes but sometimes folks have to do things that don't make sense. We can't judge people's needs or wants. Hell I question a lot of sales even at reasonable prices on some gear I think is junk. It is what it is, ones persons junk is another's treasure.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, FWIW, Fred Miranda requires payment for B&S and the same phenomenon happens over there as well. What really helps on FM is the feedback system which allows an immediate read on the seller's, well, feedback, and which also logs the posts of the selling individual. So, it's really easy to see if the guy has sold 100 batteries to get his/her Great rating, made no contributions to any of the Boards and now shows up with a 10 grand price on the MM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know Fred did a nice job on his buy and sell section and one to look at for sure. We have canned software and if we ever wanted to go for pay than we would hire a guy to develop something like that. Believe me I brought it up several times about going for a pay setup. The intent when we started this was for great standing members to sell there gear to other members. I freely admit we are being taken advantage of. The problem is will our 14k members accept a pay buy and sell setup without leaving us on a permenant basis. Obviously we don't want to lose members. This is our wall to go forward. One thing that stops me personally is we have such great members here and maybe bias but we are maybe the best discussion , help, share forums around and I don't want to interfere with. I'm sure almost every member says the same thing GetDPI is like there home and they learn a lot here , have fun in a hassle free environment . Honestly that is our biggest advantage of any other forum. We are moderated to avoid all that crap that goes on. Honestly I give ourselves a lot of credit for that. I have a hard time screwing that up in anyway. Me personally has a great reputation as well as Jack on the forums and we want our site to be the same. This is a place to learn and share, that's what we both believe in and why we started this place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I need to go trim the trees out front before it hits a 110 degrees. I lost my landscaper because he is afraid to drive here get pulled over and get deported. Don't get me started on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would gladly pay between $10 and $25 per year for the privilege of posting on the B&S forum here on GetDPI. The other forums on GetDPI could stay free. I think that would dissuade many undesirables.

If you agree, post here!

Brad
    Brad Husick
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brad start a poll in the sunset bar. It would be nice for us to see what people think. Would you mind doing that . I'm up to my armpits in tree trimming. Im living a freaking nightmare with these trees. My cheapest quote was 900 bucks that's almost a lens why I'm out there doing it. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I know Fred did a nice job on his buy and sell section and one to look at for sure. We have canned software and if we ever wanted to go for pay than we would hire a guy to develop something like that. Believe me I brought it up several times about going for a pay setup. The intent when we started this was for great standing members to sell there gear to other members. I freely admit we are being taken advantage of. The problem is will our 14k members accept a pay buy and sell setup without leaving us on a permenant basis. Obviously we don't want to lose members. This is our wall to go forward. One thing that stops me personally is we have such great members here and maybe bias but we are maybe the best discussion , help, share forums around and I don't want to interfere with. I'm sure almost every member says the same thing GetDPI is like there home and they learn a lot here , have fun in a hassle free environment . Honestly that is our biggest advantage of any other forum. We are moderated to avoid all that crap that goes on. Honestly I give ourselves a lot of credit for that. I have a hard time screwing that up in anyway. Me personally has a great reputation as well as Jack on the forums and we want our site to be the same. This is a place to learn and share, that's what we both believe in and why we started this place.
    My own perspective is I'd love to charge users who ONLY participate in the B&S forum the same way eBay charges

BUT..... I feel like our active, core participant group should get it as a benefit of participating.

The reality is the easiest way to handle it is an annual membership fee for the B&S. First, I believe that most active members would understand that it helps support the overhead for the site. Second, it may (no guarantee) help qualify B&S-only posters. We'd probably do something like a $29.95 annual fee.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MODERATOR's COMMENT
    my oh my this has drifted off topic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm in total agreement bud. We did not do it because we wanted it free for members but times have changed and I would hope they understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    MODERATOR's COMMENT
    my oh my this has drifted off topic
    LOL **** what else is new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously we been bouncing this around for awhile now.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    My own perspective is I'd love to charge users who ONLY participate in the B&S forum the same way eBay charges

BUT..... I feel like our active, core participant group should get it as a benefit of participating.

The reality is the easiest way to handle it is an annual membership fee for the B&S. First, I believe that most active members would understand that it helps support the overhead for the site. Second, it may (no guarantee) help qualify B&S-only posters. We'd probably do something like a $29.95 annual fee.
    I have absolutely no quams about paying an annual fee (I can only speak for myself of course) but am not sure how a $29.95 fee is going to change the dynamics of the B&S board in terms of removing for the most part what may be deemed by some as "undersirable" characteristics it sometimes has. I'm not refering to the "one time" poster who's trying to quickly unload an item for a quick profit. The fee would most certainly help defray the costs of running Getdpi, and thats most certainly understandable, but developing a B&S board that achieves some of the goals thats been talked about here and elsewhere, I believe is going to take something more (or in addition to) than just $29.95...and I'm not refering to simply charging more money (than $29.95). To be honest I don't have the answer but I think it at the very least it will take some sort of initial consensus by members of Getdpi...at least initially to get a start to some changes and then fine tune as things get rolling. Just my 2 MB worth.

As for keeping this "on topic" regarding the way Leica USA handles warrenties for purchasers of used items still under warrenty? I've seen a number of ways they have delt with this and in my experience have been extremely flexable and understanding, almost to the point of being counter to what is sometimes expressed or implied. I take my hat off to them!

Lastly to Guy, I have never seen so many trucks and people going into the tree cutting business as I've seen in the last 3-4 years. It's multiplied by leaps and bounds and at those prices, I can see why! I should seriously consider selling all my photographic stuff and buy myself a big flat bed truck and the biggest chain saw I can find. Trouble is knowing me, I'll cut my shutter "trigger" finger off in the process and who knows what other damage to the surrounding property I'm hired to work on. Tell you what Guy, in trade for one of your current DSLR's, I'm your man. I'll be right over to chop down those trees of yours.... LOL!

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 31st August 2012 at 18:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cutting Palo Verde trees which are like rose bushes. My arms are shredded. I look tough though. No one will try and steal my gear. Looks like I took razors to my. Arm s looks cool. As hell. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe my wife. Will pay attention. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly, something like 3/4 of all moderation work is in the B&S forum. Reducing that would be welcome.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Moderators: Should we perhaps move this discussion outside of the Leica forum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is now a poll. Everybody please vote.
    Brad Husick

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as the packaging is sealed and the product unused. It IS perfectly reasonable to buy gifts, or to buy for someone and get reimbursed, or even get paid to go shopping for someone.

Also, if I sell a used Nikon camera then I still have the warranty from Nikon that they sold me a non-defective product. Whether the new buyer who bought used from me sends it directly to Nikon, or sends it to me and I send it to Nikon, is of pretty marginal importance. Nikon ends up repairing their defective product under warranty any which way you look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    .... Nikon ends up repairing their defective product under warranty any which way you look at it.
    And your evidence for that assertion would be where?