The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The irony...

Ben Rubinstein

Not sure I get it. Is it still going to be cheaper to make multiple copies onto film, maintain multiple storage sites with optimum temperature, etc, and then wonder if in 100 years there will be anything that can digitalise the film for playback? I'm just not sure that the answer to digital obsolescence is a medium that for all intents and purposes is already obsolete from a company that is barely hanging on.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not sure I get it. Is it still going to be cheaper to make multiple copies onto film, maintain multiple storage sites with optimum temperature, etc, and then wonder if in 100 years there will be anything that can digitalise the film for playback? I'm just not sure that the answer to digital obsolescence is a medium that for all intents and purposes is already obsolete from a company that is barely hanging on.
It's always possible to read an optical device, like film, even if all technology is lost. It's rather easy to decipher. With digital, it's already a challenge to find readers for many formats. To keep data readable, all digital material must be converted to new formats on regular intervals. It's a considerable task and will often not be done.

Several TV companies have deleted countless hours of what they thought was insignificant material, simply because they didn't have the capacity to convert the material from formats that were about to become obsolete.