Site Sponsors

Thread: Hiroshima: The Lost Photographs

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hiroshima: The Lost Photographs

Twice lost and twice found:

Hiroshima: The Lost Photographs

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hiroshima: The Lost Photographs

That is a very interesting article.

I have had personal experience with images of Hiroshima. I traveled to Japan regularly for business and accidentally stumbled across an memorial for the 40th anniversary while looking for entertainment. Not reading much Japanese, I thought it was an art exhibit. It didn't take long to realize the truth. It was one of the most uncomfortable events I have ever attended.

Oxide Blu

What a wonderful article. Thanks for posting the link.

Like John, not sure I would be comfortable going to Hiroshima, tho I want to, in Aug when they 'remember'. I just tell myself it wasn't my war, wasn't my time, but I know it was necessary. It is strange, the overwhelming portion of the J population knows too but it is politically incorrect to say so. This year a ranking cabinet member in the PM's admin had to resign for saying the dropping of the A-bombs was justified and necessary.

Many folks don't know it but there are buildings in Hiroshima in which the rooms are filled with nothing but folded paper (origami) 'peace' cranes. People from all over the world send them to Japan, because of the bombs, supposedly never a one has been discarded (so the story goes). They are stored in the buildings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do business with JSW and have been there. Beautiful city, the people are very gracious and hospitable. They made sure I had a day to see all the sites after business.
    Mike

website under construction