Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

As a motorcyclist, I remember when the Harley Davidison brand was plonked on the tanks of Italian made Arramachi motorcycles in the mid 1970's.

The strategy did not work then and I doubt it will work for HB - but lets hope HB like Harley Davidson can be brought back from the brink of extinction (unlike Indian Motorcycles which tried the same sort of strategy and failed).

Don't own a Harley and don't want one, but one would find it hard to argue with their success.

Don't own a H5D, (Phase 1 owner) but would like to have a MF camera with that Tru Focus system and lots of the other useful functions on that camera.

Mal
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Just how viable is medium format anyway with Canon rumoured to be about to launch a 46mp dslr. The problem Hasselblad and Phase One both have is their market is small, and probably shrinking. Leica and Hasselblad have both pimped out their brands to some extent attract more of the luxury good market.

And its a sensible move. There is a bigger and more resilient market for high end "designer" products than there is for professional medium format. I bet the Lunar will sell well in emerging markets and I think we should all hope it does - some of the profits can then be used to keep the pro end afloat.
    Understanding luxury markets (as do Porsche and Leica) is NOT the same thing as buying in consumer goods from a mass market company and adding bling (as Hasselblad are doing). It really isn't.

it reminds me of the red leather Hermes Leicas of the early 2000's, but at least that was Leica core products.

The question of the future of MF is a different issue, but Phase seem to be looking good, and Leica seem to be increasingly confident about the S. I'm sure this isn't the way for Hasselblad to protect their excellent MF name.

Incidentally, I think the NEX7 is a fine camera (about to be replaced, but still a fine camera).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In one of my former lives working as a product manager at a fairly prominent high end audio company, we had the distinct misfortune to be acquired by a large audio conglomerate that operated much like a venture capital company. They leveraged their purchase of us, loaded us with debt, immediately used some of our designs in their low end products. It never worked out. Large companies that grow by acquisition, and have a reputation as bottom feeders, tend to fall victim to the myth of economies in scale, consolidating the backroom operations, consolidating engineering, etc. That can be done but it can't consolidate the soul and spirit of a high end brand that has spent years developing the brand, technologies and customer relationships. Such 'marriages' almost always fail.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Understanding luxury markets (as do Porsche and Leica) is NOT the same thing as buying in consumer goods from a mass market company and adding bling (as Hasselblad are doing). It really isn't.

Incidentally, I think the NEX7 is a fine camera (about to be replaced, but still a fine camera).
    You are missing the point, Jono. Really you are. We are not the target market - at least not the primary one. I'm not buying the Lunar (unless it turns out to be surprisingly great, which I doubt). The Lunar will sell in bucketloads in certain markets. Time wil tell, and Hassy need some other new ideas but the concept is sound. But my guess is the Lunar will be a success, leading to better products and more money for Hassy.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just how viable is medium format anyway with Canon rumoured to be about to launch a 46mp dslr. The problem Hasselblad and Phase One both have is their market is small, and probably shrinking. Leica and Hasselblad have both pimped out their brands to some extent attract more of the luxury good market.

And its a sensible move. There is a bigger and more resilient market for high end "designer" products than there is for professional medium format. I bet the Lunar will sell well in emerging markets and I think we should all hope it does - some of the profits can then be used to keep the pro end afloat.
    Just how viable is 35mm DSLRs with the real possibility of a 36 meg NEX in future ? ... which would be pretty unviable since it has already been superseded by a 40 meg cell phone?

What makes anyone think, if successful with the Loony-toons camera, that they'd plow the profits back into MFD? After all, it is such an unviable format.

Hasselblad has never been successful at pimping out their cameras. They made a special edition stainless Steel H4D/40, kept production to 100, and still haven't sold them all. Bet they have a crate full of the gaudy Ferrari 40s also, but would never admit it.

Leica made a Titanium M9 that cost more than a MFD kit, and sold them all before even making them. Big difference. There is a built-in market for one, and none for the other.

We'll see I guess.

-Marc

Shelby Lewis

This whole situation makes me want to go shoot wet-plate, ha!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are missing the point, Jono. Really you are. We are not the target market - at least not the primary one. I'm not buying the Lunar (unless it turns out to be surprisingly great, which I doubt). The Lunar will sell in bucketloads in certain markets. Time wil tell, and Hassy need some other new ideas but the concept is sound. But my guess is the Lunar will be a success, leading to better products and more money for Hassy.
    I'm not missing the point - I completely understand we aren't the target market, and like you, I also suspect that it'll sell in bucket loads in some places (and that the profit margin will be large enough to make it very worthwhile).

But it won't help with sales of MF cameras (absolutely to the contrary), and as Marc suggests, it seems very unlikely that any financial returns will be ploughed back into high end technical products.

it might even be a success (Burberry springs to mind). It feels like the new management has decided to use the name to sell products . . . . rather than the quality of the products.

Mind you, I don't know why I'm arguing, I have no vested interest in Hassleblad, either one way or another, but I certainly hope that they survive and flourish. What I do know is that if I DID have a large investment, then right now I'd be rather worried about it.

Just this guy you know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They won't put a dime back in to MF no matter how much they make. They will milk the cow as much as they can and **** right on the grass that feed them in the process.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    They won't put a dime back in to MF no matter how much they make. They will milk the cow as much as they can and **** right on the grass that feed them in the process.
    Guy, bad analogy.

****ing on the grass will fertilize it and make it grow faster. One of those Circle of Life things.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ROTFLMAO. You get the idea though
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You put it so much more delicately than I can

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not missing the point - I completely understand we aren't the target market, and like you, I also suspect that it'll sell in bucket loads in some places (and that the profit margin will be large enough to make it very worthwhile).

But it won't help with sales of MF cameras (absolutely to the contrary), and as Marc suggests, it seems very unlikely that any financial returns will be ploughed back into high end technical products.
    Well frankly none of us have a clue because its unchartered territory for Hasselblad, and of course it won't help the sale of MF cameras, but if it helps Hasselblad's finances that should be a good thing.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    I hate false markets and its usually a disaster for all! No one gains from this.
    At least 2 or 3 people here are convinced about the existence of such markets (for the fugly Lunar).

Post Thanks / Like

but if it helps Hasselblad's finances that should be a good thing.
    Hasselblad's shareholders finances..... maybe?

Imagine that shareholder meeting....... "we've just made a packet from our over price Looney fashion accessorcam and we're going to pump it all back into building an H6D MF camera that will keep the members of getdpi.com happy!."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For the moment at least, hasselblad will not be burned on the streets in China unlike japanese goods. Ironic considering all the wood on those Lunars.

Post Thanks / Like

No, of course the Chinese are not stupid, but this is (surely) a matter of taste, and they have very different taste and seem to like what we would call 'bling' (as do a number of other cultures).

Seems to me that it will sit nicely on the seat of your long wheelbase BMW 7 series with the wooden dash and blonde leather seats.

Personally, I think the camera is disgusting - but then it's not aimed at me.

I'm sure there will be nobody around here singing it's praises, either now or later, but I'm not so certain that it won't sell!

Good Luck To 'em I say - if Hassleblad make a profit on it there will be more for R&D for new cameras, and that must be a good thing.
    Ha, I may like BMWs with wooden dashes, but I have to agree with you the camera looks disgusting. I think both Eastern and western cultures we can find people with good and bad taste, but I certainly won't rule out that nobody will buy it. If I am not mistaken, it was designed in Sweden, so maybe Swedes like this, at least the designing nation if i am indeed mistaken, even then it won't be everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

None of my old school Hasselblad gear makes pictures any worse or better after this lunatic announcement - funny that - eh?

In their rush to sell units at $50K pa. MF digi back makers never thought that their stoopid customers would wise up - they have and their market is dead and gone.

The Lunatic camera at least won't cost the stoopid buyer tens of thousands of dollars every 18 months....

*Voice of experience talking here

Post Thanks / Like

so maybe Swedes like this
    Noooooooooooooooooo!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well frankly none of us have a clue because its unchartered territory for Hasselblad, and of course it won't help the sale of MF cameras, but if it helps Hasselblad's finances that should be a good thing.
    But they have tried something similar before. After 2 years, they have still not managed to sell the 499 H4D-40 Ferrari Edition cameras, and relatively speaking, at $30,000 those where cheap and only 50% over the list price of a normal H4D. Then there's the stainless steel version for $15,995 body only, also from two years ago, 100 copies that aren't sold either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm ordering mine in snakeskin and swarovski crystal.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Nice!
    Tasteful, I thought
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is an interesting photo essay on the possessions of Chinese families:

BBC News - Chinese families' worldly goods in Huang Qinqjun's pictures

If any official is caught with the Lunatic, they are gonna get sacked immediately (even expensive watches do that there).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If it's not available in rhino horn with command dials made of platinum coated tiger testicles, I'm not buying
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt in the spirit of good taste, Hasselblad will release the "endangered" range especially for those emerging markets........ featuring bespoke beautifully crafted hand grips made from the spinal bone of the Humpback Whale.

Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

forgive them

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    forgive them
    Oh . . alright then, I'll have the grip in onyx and the dials in 18ct gold please (after all, I'll have to visit the bathroom often).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I may like BMWs with wooden dashes, but I have to agree with you the camera looks disgusting. I think both Eastern and western cultures we can find people with good and bad taste, but I certainly won't rule out that nobody will buy it. If I am not mistaken, it was designed in Sweden, so maybe Swedes like this, at least the designing nation if i am indeed mistaken, even then it won't be everyone!
    Lol no! As a swede I object that sir!

The core essence of scandinavian design is minimalistic simplicity and thoughtfulness..

it is not "lets throw on every expensive material we can think of and call it design, and while we are at it lets make it so ugly we make people cry just by standing next to it out of shame for the future of the human race.." or something like that

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that hasn't been addressed is 'Will it blend?'

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    One thing that hasn't been addressed is 'Will it blend?'
    You mean you want to add a blender attachment, so you can mix and blend cocktails with the camera? Great idea!
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want mine designed as is but compleetly flat, so it will fit in my briefcase.
    (not the ones with wooden grips, I have to watch out for my fingers)

(I know somebody who knows somebody who has a friend that uses a steamroller)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Basically, I want mine to look like this, only with less chronograph and more live view.

It's made in Switzerland of the highest quality materials, so it must be tasteful and elegant. I am sure the same will be true of the Swedish made Lunars...

Here's the V series version, by the way: http://alanwatch.homestead.com/explorer.html
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mmmm Stuart, I think Mugabe will like it.

I like mine pure and flat.

Post Thanks / Like

We have wondered what kind of investor Ventizz actually is - I was on PK and seen the "new Hasselblad" and it was clear to me: It's the worst kind, greedy businessmen, shortsighted and stupid - when the first investors of this kind appeared about 20 years ago people couldn't believe that they are THIS stupid and "comic-evil", there must be a deeper meaning that "old-school"-people just don't understand - but after a few hundred companies destroyed (in Germany alone!) with no positive long-term effects whatsoever, people start to understand...

Machining a full-metal body to tight tolerances can take hours and can be very expensive, but this is nothing more than a re-housed NEX-7, period.

Leica just finally came up with the very first mirrorless full-frame digital camera that can be used with nearly all kinds of lenses, they must have invested serious money into R&D with unique electronics to achieve an unique product. The Lunar is more like the X2... Will they use the earned money (given the Lunar will be a success among brand-loving rich people) for R&D and production of a real Hasselblad again? I doubt that but I still hope I'm wrong. A digital, mirrorless MF could be a big success amongst professionals...

Even smaller companies don't have to give up in the digital world, the digital cinematography camera with over 85% market-share in the US-series-market is made by a fairly small company (although with 95 years of experience in this market) leaving huge consumer-electronics manufacturers like Sony, Canon or Panasonic behind. It's not only about size... But it takes some resources that only long-sighted specialists caring about the company are willing to invest - Ventizz doesn't seem to be interested in that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What worries me about this thread is we are giving away great ideas for free. If Hasselblad now produce an updated design that folds flat, incorprates a blender, with elements of Rhino horn, tiger testicles and whale bone, we only have ourseleves to blame for not having cashed in and sold the ideas to Hasselblad.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    I want mine designed as is but compleetly flat, so it will fit in my briefcase.
    (not the ones with wooden grips, I have to watch out for my fingers)

(I know somebody who knows somebody who has a friend that uses a steamroller)
    You clearly want the Hasselblad Lunar Corolla Sports that is under development with a high-end Japanese car manufacturer. The revolutionary new camera body is made from surplus parts from 1969 Toyota Corollas shaped into a revolutionary as well as innovative camera body using water dripping from a broken, Russian tap, to celebrate that Mr. Toyoda and his wife watched the moon landing on the 20th July that year from that very car, on a revolutionary Panasonic portable TV. The platinum Toyota logo is backlighted with electric blue moonstones picked during the Apollo 11 expedition at a city dump on the outskirts of Manila.

The Lunar Corolla Sports will only be 120% more expensive that the ordinary Rhino version.

Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks maybe we should move this now to another forum like the sunset bar since its a real mixture of formats now

Post Thanks / Like

Folks maybe we should move this now to another forum like the sunset bar since its a real mixture of formats now
    Agreed.

Just think about that for a moment though.

A thread on a new Hasselblad. Consigned to the sunset bar.

Fitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its in the bar now and this only leads to one conclusion. We need to drink heavily. LOL

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow I just read the whole thread and that made me wonder why I did.
    I really don't know weather the lunar will sell and I really don't care, I doubt it will sell but then of course I don't know all the markets for such "things". Myself I also struggle to find words to describe how bad I feel about that camera.

so why did I read the whole thread? the lunar is definitely the camera I care the least about. but it is also definitely the camera I'm most disappointed about. I was really hoping for something really new and groundbreaking (well maybe not groundbreaking but at least something that no one else offerst (like a digital xpan for example, with evf)) from Hasselblad and that's why I was so disappointed and I guess many others feel just the same and that disappointment is the reason why everybody seems to hate the lunar.
    lets face it it isn't going to be a bad camera (of course they better improve the build quality and finishing of the final version compared to the prototypes) it is a nex 7 after all. what if louis viutton made that camera? they may even have gotten some credit for at least using a high quality camera as a base. we would have just ignored the camera.
    now to come back to the point I'm trying to make, I think the reaction to the lunar just shows how much Hasselblad has lost and what they could have made with that name. while the digital H system wasn't nearly as successful as the V system back in the film days it was still a good system and didn't harm the brand much. so if hasselblad would have come out with a really professional mirrorless system with a good large sensor (that would have been a smart choice for a collaboration with sony), good liveview and good compatibility with different lens systems and most importantly somewhat competitive prices (with a nikon d800, of course not as low as a d800 but also not 10x more), they probably would have been quite successful. of course such a camera woud have been a serious threat to mfd and thus also to the HXD series but they don't seem to make that much cash anyway so why not kill them...

anyway I think now that chance has been lost. so who will do it? mamiya? sony? leica? panasonic? I wonder why nobody does that.

Post Thanks / Like

Edit

At first sight I was convinced that some alien beings must have influenced the designing process, cause it looks so unearthly.

Let us praise the Lord for this transcendental beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

Why? what on earth has the Lunar got to do with Hasselblad's medium format line
    I'm surprised you are seriously asking the question. The Lunar has everything to do with Hasselblad's medium format line (unless you know something about that line being hived off to another company under different management). Far from being simply a boost to the company's bottom line, the shoddy launch of the Lunar has all the hallmarks of a desperate attempt to stop Hasselblad becoming the next Rollei.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonstucki View Post
    wow I just read the whole thread and that made me wonder why I did.
    I really don't know weather the lunar will sell and I really don't care, I doubt it will sell but then of course I don't know all the markets for such "things". Myself I also struggle to find words to describe how bad I feel about that camera.

so why did I read the whole thread? the lunar is definitely the camera I care the least about. but it is also definitely the camera I'm most disappointed about. I was really hoping for something really new and groundbreaking (well maybe not groundbreaking but at least something that no one else offerst (like a digital xpan for example, with evf)) from Hasselblad and that's why I was so disappointed and I guess many others feel just the same and that disappointment is the reason why everybody seems to hate the lunar.
    lets face it it isn't going to be a bad camera (of course they better improve the build quality and finishing of the final version compared to the prototypes) it is a nex 7 after all. what if louis viutton made that camera? they may even have gotten some credit for at least using a high quality camera as a base. we would have just ignored the camera.
    now to come back to the point I'm trying to make, I think the reaction to the lunar just shows how much Hasselblad has lost and what they could have made with that name. while the digital H system wasn't nearly as successful as the V system back in the film days it was still a good system and didn't harm the brand much. so if hasselblad would have come out with a really professional mirrorless system with a good large sensor (that would have been a smart choice for a collaboration with sony), good liveview and good compatibility with different lens systems and most importantly somewhat competitive prices (with a nikon d800, of course not as low as a d800 but also not 10x more), they probably would have been quite successful. of course such a camera woud have been a serious threat to mfd and thus also to the HXD series but they don't seem to make that much cash anyway so why not kill them...

anyway I think now that chance has been lost. so who will do it? mamiya? sony? leica? panasonic? I wonder why nobody does that.
    Hasselblad stated that they wanted to recapture the 65% enthusiasts market they once had some ten or so years ago. The V camera was the basis of that market share, However, the V camera tanked well before the H became popular with commercial shooters. The 35mm film cameras took a huge chunk of their business first, then the 35mm DSLRs finished the job. Add the fact that anyone could buy a used V for a fraction of the new price, and it is a darned good thing there were those Pros to keep them afloat by buying the H system.

Now, they are attempting to regain the enthusiasts, and using a Luxury strategy to do it. The problem they face is the Price/Value equation. Today's enthusiasts are no different than in past, the V camera was an upgrade in image quality, but the Lunar is not. The V camera defied obsoleteness using a timeless functional industrial design ... the Lunar will become dated looking very quickly.

That leaves those less knowledgable about photography willing to part with $6,500 for yesterdays' technology packaged in a AMC Pacer design = not only a fool, but an embarrassed fool.

Maybe it'll garner counter-culture kitch status and be all the rage. Thus providing Hasselblad with its 15 minutes of fame ... then eternal obscurity except in the history of photography regarding what once was.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find it ironic that the Lunar thread is in the Sunset Bar (on so many levels).

About the market, I don't think there is one for this camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    I can only agree to this .
    I believe VICTOR would roll over in his grave .

"In the end, Hasselblad, with this new initiative, is hoping to attract a larger, younger audience to its range of cameras, says Peter Stig-Nielsen, Hasselblad's director of professional camera products. "I've been longing to talk to a younger audience of potential professionals, and I really believe the Sony name is familiar to this audience. Sony is in the gaming industry, the music industry – things that relate to a young generation. I think the Sony brand and the Lunar product is going to help spread the message about what Hasselblad is."

Young people want fun and shoot with smart phones and P&S cameras .
    They don't have much money anyway , but if , they would surely not spend it for LUNAR .
    Young photographers don't have much money either and would rather buy a second hand MFD or lens instead of LUNAR .

Give us tools , NOT toys .
    I'm another one of those "younger audience of potential photographers", and what's more, one who could (if I really stretched) buy a camera + lenses in the price range that Hasselblad seems to be looking for.

You know what makes me sad? The rebranding thing actually could have worked.

Imagine a (well, 2) Hasselblad Lunar(s) that was an RX-1 with a built in EVF, and the 35mm lens replaced with a 24/2 on version A and a 50/1.4 or a 75/2 on version B, released simultaneously and marked up 50% (to get them the silly margins they seem intent on). While expensive, it at least would offer something new and something useful, AND given them something that was breaking new ground in some way. It'd even preserve their reputation for quality and producing things photographers want.

Then again, that'd require actual intelligence and a desire to innovate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ausemmao View Post
    I'm another one of those "younger audience of potential photographers", and what's more, one who could (if I really stretched) buy a camera + lenses in the price range that Hasselblad seems to be looking for.

You know what makes me sad? The rebranding thing actually could have worked.

Imagine a (well, 2) Hasselblad Lunar(s) that was an RX-1 with a built in EVF, and the 35mm lens replaced with a 24/2 on version A and a 50/1.4 or a 75/2 on version B, released simultaneously and marked up 50% (to get them the silly margins they seem intent on). While expensive, it at least would offer something new and something useful, AND given them something that was breaking new ground in some way. It'd even preserve their reputation for quality and producing things photographers want.

Then again, that'd require actual intelligence and a desire to innovate.
    I am guessing that there are tens of thousands of the apparently desirable "younger audience of potential photographers (customers)" already shooting with Hasselblad cameras. I really wish they could figure out a way to bring a full frame 9 micron sensor to the market at a price non-professionals can afford.
    I would sell every camera I own to buy it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone already has their sketch book out and sharpening the pencil...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I am guessing that there are tens of thousands of the apparently desirable "younger audience of potential photographers (customers)" already shooting with Hasselblad cameras. I really wish they could figure out a way to bring a full frame 9 micron sensor to the market at a price non-professionals can afford.
    I would sell every camera I own to buy it.
    Oh, there'll be plenty who shoot with or have shot with hasselblads. It's the number who own (or want to own) new MF digital bodies that they're interested in. Camera club at my uni has a fair few people who primarily shoot a range of 645, 6x6 and 6x7 film cameras, and even one or 2 who primarily shoot 4x5 and 8x10 film.

There are a bunch (somewhat overlapping with the above) who shoot high end APS-C or 135 digital, and a number have more "specialised" kit.

Noone has their own MF digital or MFDB.
    Quite a few will be in a position where they could own their own MFDB kit.

Every one of them thinks the Lunar is a joke.

None of them care that much about cameras being plastic rather than metal (a lot of us have engineering backgrounds, we know how metals can fail and how good plastics can be), and there is virtually no brand fanaticism. Most do care that their cameras are well supported and not needlessly crippled, and that they have good software interfaces and support.

The RX-1 is the camera almost the entire club was most excited about.

Post Thanks / Like

And here come the reviews...

genotypewritings: Hasselblad Lunar Review

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lunar and Lunatic have the same root.
    -bob