The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

Stefan Steib

Lunar and Nex7 side by side

image from dpreview hasselblad stand report

How do you defend this????
I tell you in real it does look even worse. I have never seen so badly made prototypes. This is a really totally unprofessional launch for so much pathetics........

Shashin

That is the point of a mirroles system is that it is small and compact and...

oh, never mind.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The perfect camera for street shooting in bad neighborhoods. No one will hit you over the head for this but they may slap you upside the head for buying it in the first place. Damn that really is ugly and I'm really trying to be nice here.

charlesphoto

These remind me of the really ugly decor of cheap hotels I would stay at when traveling around SE Asia. All brass and glass and cheap/fake leather trying to masquerade as class. "Italian" design is right - but not the good kind, but the cheap fake greco-roman kind that rich oil barons go for.

If I were Hasselblad I would just quietly sweep these under the rug at the end of Photokina and pretend it never happened.

simonclivehughes

These remind me of the really ugly decor of cheap hotels I would stay at when traveling around SE Asia. All brass and glass and cheap/fake leather trying to masquerade as class. "Italian" design is right - but not the good kind, but the cheap fake greco-roman kind that rich oil barons go for.
Exactly! They spend all the money on faux fixtures for the lobby and the beds are plywood with a bit of felt glued on top. :ROTFL:

Cheers,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes, the NEX-5/7 bodies are made of Magnesium alloy but they are moulded (perhaps takes less than 1s to do it). Something machined from a single block of aluminum (better heat conductor than that Magnesium alloy and unbreakable) would take a longer time.

Can we expect a Lunar 5 as well? :watch:
Every single MacBook is machined from one piece of aluminium as well. Probably not as complex as a camera body, but the process is in principle the same. If Apple spent 3 hours to machine each of them, I guess their factory would occupy a major part of Mainland China :facesmack:

With Apple's not so modest profit margins, this process would make the MacBooks insanely expensive, wouldn't it? But no, they start at around $1,000. But then of course, that doesn't include a wooden handle :ROTFL:

A

Anthony N. Chandler

Seems to me that this is the stupidest series of choices Hasselblad could make. Any businessman worth his salt should know that with a brand like this the best way forward is to go backward. If you are going to "re-brand" anything, then re-brand the old horse that worked. Put out a Hasselblad Six Vintage body without a mirror but a simple live view screen where the viewfinder used to be, a sensor in the 10-15 MP range but with a square format, a removable back that can be upgraded to new backs over time, and then simply create a series of "cheap" adapters to fit the V series, Mamiya manual lenses, old Canon lenses, Nikon manuals and design two new 6 series zooms for the masses. Everyone else makes V adapters, except Hasselblad themselves. Heck, Hasselblad could even connect Sony who must own tonnes of old camera companies and sell copies of the old styles of lenses in semi-limited editions. The sense of limited editions would hook an Asian market, and the R&D is minimal...really.

Not built for pros, but can use vintage pieces on a new body.

Hook it into a special version of Instagram, and you have lift off.

No need for hi-res pro quality, but alludes to the old gear. The old gear gets bought off the market, which is eco-friendly, and then Hasselblad becomes cool and edgy again versus a laughing stock. Hell, this just worked for the Fuji X-1 Pro. :banghead:

Who is John Galt?

MikeHlop

Every single MacBook is machined from one piece of aluminium as well. Probably not as complex as a camera body, but the process is in principle the same. If Apple spent 3 hours to machine each of them, I guess their factory would occupy a major part of Mainland China :facesmack:
Exactly. Just few days ago I was replacing an HDD in Mac Mini - even smaller piece of solid aluminum machined down. Still slightly bigger than a camera but closer than MacBook. Very nice and precise work by Apple and for some strange reason they don't complain and don't make it's price around 5K Euro

djonesii

Workshop Member
Like many of us here, I've owned just about every thing with a lens on it at one time or an other:

Speed Graphic
Custom Polaroid with a 4X5 grafmatic
Bronica 645 Rangefinder
2 fuji 645 AF/range finders
a Ziess folder
AFD-II + P30, and an AFD back
4 film Nikons
1 film Leica
4 digital Nikons
Oly Pen, OM-D
Panasonic g1,g3
a suite of canon PNS
A Samsung PNS

As you can see I've clearly missed the TLR and the 6X6 SLR.

Right now, I see NO reason at all to give my hard earned hobby dollar to a Company that is so out of touch with me.

Figure out a way to give me a 5X5 24 mpix waist level finder experience, with AF, slight crop for all your amazing MF glass, and do it for around 5K, I'm all in .....

I've got the 5K to spend on a camera. A 20 something most likely does not.

Dave

tjv

How anyone on the design team can live with themselves for creating this monstrosity is beyond me. It looks like it was designed by a mentally disadvantaged primary school student for a science fair project. It's just un-freaking-believable. I mean, for god sake. They've even killed all sense of ergonomics by repositioning the jogger dials to the front!

Honestly, I was seriously looking at buying a Blad back to use in conjunction with a Linhof Techno, but this fiasco has put an end to that.

Lunar and Nex7 side by side

image from dpreview hasselblad stand report

How do you defend this????

jotloob

Subscriber Member
How anyone on the design team can live with themselves for creating this monstrosity is beyond me. It looks like it was designed by a mentally disadvantaged primary school student for a science fair project. It's just un-freaking-believable. I mean, for god sake. They've even killed all sense of ergonomics by repositioning the jogger dials to the front!

Honestly, I was seriously looking at buying a Blad back to use in conjunction with a Linhof Techno, but this fiasco has put an end to that.
A HASSELBLAD BACK like the CFV-50 , for example , has got nothing to do with the LUNAR .
I am not turning away from HASSELBLAD just because of their LUNAR desaster . But , yes , it is allowed to :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: about it . Very loud .

tjv

Of course, I guess the problem is that when you're paying so much money for a CFV-50 you want to feel confident the company will be around to service it for a reasonable period of time. This lunacy, excuse the pun, only serves to make me think the company is in dire trouble and about to tank.

A HASSELBLAD BACK like the CFV-50 , for example , has got nothing to do with the LUNAR .
I am not turning away from HASSELBLAD just because of their LUNAR desaster . But , yes , it is allowed to :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: about it . Very loud .

fotografz

Yes, they are separate products ... but come from the same company under the same Brand name.

Here is a post I did on a dedicated Hasselblad forum that answers your stead-fast brand loyalty ... which I admire, and to some degree share, but feel is a bit misplaced and naive.

"We may make light of this, but it may come back and bite all of us (i.e., Hasselblad users) ... and then we won't be laughing so much.

I spent my whole advertising career managing Brands. A career that also allowed me to work with some of the best photographers and cinematographers in the world. Creative people who kindled a love of photography to point that I became one.

I have lived through similar instances of greed and avarice that destroyed a brand reputation that took decades to establish. Hasselblad is on the cusp of doing something similar. The lack of humility in the face of universally withering criticism of what has already been nick-named the "Loony" ... the arrogant response from the top dogs, are chief indicators of a Brand about to be milked for short term profit ... minimal investment, inferior third party products branded with a great marquis, initial brief nods to core products which will morph into total abandonment of the core product development ... spiraling into total destruction. This isn't new, it is bad Brand history repeating itself.

I'm not sure that even a united voice from their customer base can alter this path. The corporate world is rife with yes men and cowards who tremble under the thumb of financial tyrants.

Am I over-reacting, am I making to much of it? We'll see ... but mark my words ... I've seen this more than once, and it has never ended well for anyone except the few doing the milking."

-Marc

Like many, I can not type what I feel about these morons.
Convenient, because I happen to be new on this particular forum and don't have any credibility or self-worth to lose, so hang tight.

The Lunar is a stupid fucкing ugly garbage piece of shiт that doesn't fucкing do what it's supposed to. Unique features include being аss-backwards unusable, sucking out the souls of your subjects, and provoking mineral wars in third-world countries. Employing exclusive chinese engineering and European-esque design, a 90% outsourced and pre-designed framework was used for maximum profit while also driving up oil prices! Our intended zombie demographic will line up to waste their cash on this suсking fucкing goddаmn retarded hunk of garbage to allow our executives to drive a new Ferrari or two while everyone tears their fucкing eyeballs out. Be Hasselbling!

Please don't take any of that personally, I usually play nice. :angel:

Michiel Schierbeek

Puh puh, you got that load out of the way, Kolor-Pikker.

I wrote a little about the Hasselblad booth in another thread (Leica/Ricoh)

The Hasselblad booth was all over that new Lunar, which is even a bigger joke in reality. They come in countless versions. It is all about a sort of almost folkloristic craftsmenship read ( Louis Vuitton ) for the rich in which they put the latests electronics. It is a big mistake, I think. The whole booth was for a great deal in the light of their grand history, besides their great prof cameras.
But also a non prof posh atmoshere with a black Ferrarie in the middle.
Hope some sane guy takes over the handles soon.

Michiel

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Convenient, because I happen to be new on this particular forum and don't have any credibility or self-worth to lose, so hang tight.

The Lunar is a stupid fucкing ugly garbage piece of shiт that doesn't fucкing do what it's supposed to. Unique features include being аss-backwards unusable, sucking out the souls of your subjects, and provoking mineral wars in third-world countries. Employing exclusive chinese engineering and European-esque design, a 90% outsourced and pre-designed framework was used for maximum profit while also driving up oil prices! Our intended zombie demographic will line up to waste their cash on this suсking fucкing goddаmn retarded hunk of garbage to allow our executives to drive a new Ferrari or two while everyone tears their fucкing eyeballs out. Be Hasselbling!

Please don't take any of that personally, I usually play nice. :angel:
MODERATOR'S WARNING
:ROTFL: Ok it is funny, but please tone down the language :bugeyes: in the future.
-bob