The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

Swissblad

Yes, they are separate products ... but come from the same company under the same Brand name.

Here is a post I did on a dedicated Hasselblad forum that answers your stead-fast brand loyalty ... which I admire, and to some degree share, but feel is a bit misplaced and naive.

"We may make light of this, but it may come back and bite all of us (i.e., Hasselblad users) ... and then we won't be laughing so much.

I spent my whole advertising career managing Brands. A career that also allowed me to work with some of the best photographers and cinematographers in the world. Creative people who kindled a love of photography to point that I became one.

I have lived through similar instances of greed and avarice that destroyed a brand reputation that took decades to establish. Hasselblad is on the cusp of doing something similar. The lack of humility in the face of universally withering criticism of what has already been nick-named the "Loony" ... the arrogant response from the top dogs, are chief indicators of a Brand about to be milked for short term profit ... minimal investment, inferior third party products branded with a great marquis, initial brief nods to core products which will morph into total abandonment of the core product development ... spiraling into total destruction. This isn't new, it is bad Brand history repeating itself.

I'm not sure that even a united voice from their customer base can alter this path. The corporate world is rife with yes men and cowards who tremble under the thumb of financial tyrants.

Am I over-reacting, am I making to much of it? We'll see ... but mark my words ... I've seen this more than once, and it has never ended well for anyone except the few doing the milking."

-Marc
Thanks Marc!

Swissblad

Of course, I guess the problem is that when you're paying so much money for a CFV-50 you want to feel confident the company will be around to service it for a reasonable period of time. This lunacy, excuse the pun, only serves to make me think the company is in dire trouble and about to tank.
This unfortunately is my view as well.
Instead of investing further in a H system, I'll take a closer look at Alpa or Leica.

My feeling is that the new management will not give a sh*t about their old customers.

Leica has a very different approach to this, as does Linhoff, or Alpa.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . . .
My feeling is that the new management will not give a sh*t about their old customers.
. . . . . . . .
Sinhue
Even , if this would be right , should I throw my CFV-39 and CFV-50 backs away now ? ? ?
These backs give me very good results with my ALPA's and my various V-SYSTEM bodies .
And I do not see any need to go for PHASE or LEAF backs at this time .
I will never go for the LUNAR toy , that is for sure , but I will not replace my digital backs . That is for sure as well .

archivue

if i was hasselblad...

Hasselblad XpanD
24x72 (with a crop 24x28)
50 MP
Design closer to a classic leica or even 500cm
Zeiss lenses

Robust and chic... they went the opposite way ;-(

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is a post I did on a dedicated Hasselblad forum that answers your stead-fast brand loyalty ... which I admire, and to some degree share, but feel is a bit misplaced and naive.

"We may make light of this, but it may come back and bite all of us (i.e., Hasselblad users) ... and then we won't be laughing so much.

I spent my whole advertising career managing Brands. A career that also allowed me to work with some of the best photographers and cinematographers in the world. Creative people who kindled a love of photography to point that I became one.

I have lived through similar instances of greed and avarice that destroyed a brand reputation that took decades to establish. Hasselblad is on the cusp of doing something similar. The lack of humility in the face of universally withering criticism of what has already been nick-named the "Loony" ... the arrogant response from the top dogs, are chief indicators of a Brand about to be milked for short term profit ... minimal investment, inferior third party products branded with a great marquis, initial brief nods to core products which will morph into total abandonment of the core product development ... spiraling into total destruction. This isn't new, it is bad Brand history repeating itself.

I'm not sure that even a united voice from their customer base can alter this path. The corporate world is rife with yes men and cowards who tremble under the thumb of financial tyrants.

Am I over-reacting, am I making to much of it? We'll see ... but mark my words ... I've seen this more than once, and it has never ended well for anyone except the few doing the milking."

-Marc
Very well stated Marc. Especially coming from one of their most stalwart supporters. It should cause the top dogs to rethink, but I suspect you're correct that it won't: Going off the vigor of their defensive reaction, they obviously are clueless as to why the Lunacy was met with so much criticism and outright disappointment in the first place.

It appears that we will be left with one single company, PhaseOne, dedicated to producing MF backs for use on multiple platform bodies. And lack of competition is not going to be good for MF shooters in the long run...

kipling

The strange thing about this is why they picked Sony to partner with and not Fuji. Fuji has been their business partner in the past, and looking at the "X" series, it would seen like the oh so obvious thing to adopt.
The X-pro1 actually even looks a little like the "X"-Pan.

I'm just guessing here, but had Hasselblad produced a multi-format X-Pan with Fuji, with excellent optics, I'm pretty sure we'd all be applauding.
And I don't think anyone would seriously have issue with them doing luxury versions of a unique and heritage oriented digital Hasselblad/Fuji X-Pan.

They could have made a carbon version with black snake leather grip and who cares, as long as it's a serious camera with a unique idea and true to the brand.

Just my 2 cents.

etrigan63

The strange thing about this is why they picked Sony to partner with and not Fuji. Fuji has been their business partner in the past, and looking at the "X" series, it would seen like the oh so obvious thing to adopt.
The X-pro1 actually even looks a little like the "X"-Pan.

I'm just guessing here, but had Hasselblad produced a multi-format X-Pan with Fuji, with excellent optics, I'm pretty sure we'd all be applauding.
And I don't think anyone would seriously have issue with them doing luxury versions of a unique and heritage oriented digital Hasselblad/Fuji X-Pan.

They could have made a carbon version with black snake leather grip and who cares, as long as it's a serious camera with a unique idea and true to the brand.

Just my 2 cents.
For the record, Fuji DID make the film X-Pan for Hasselblad.

gazwas

The writing is on the wall......

Ventizz capital funds purchases Hasselblad and states they want to explore "new markets". Ventizz owned Hasselblad explores the high end luxury toys market by dressing up a consumer grade camera and turning it into a fashion item. Ventizz sells Hasselblad as a high end fashionable brand to the highest bidder and they never make or support another professional camera again.

That is why if I was a HB user I'd be worried. Sure all the current kit is brilliant but who wants to own kit in a dead end system and Hasselblad's photographic future is just the unknown at the moment.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Gareth

Are you saying that Ventizz will run a fine old brand right down the drain ?
Or has the intention to do so ? That would be lunacy indeed .
I agree , there were cases , investors have done so .

gazwas

Gareth

Are you saying that Ventizz will run a fine old brand right down the drain ?
Or has the intention to do so ? That would be lunacy indeed .
I agree , there were cases , investors have done so .
No quite the opposite, IMO Ventizz wants HB to be the Ralph Lauren, Armani, Chanel of the camera world and wants every image obsessed lovie lusting to own their brand. The camera is the least important part of their business plan IMO.

gazwas

Have you not seen how young pop stars are styled currently? Seems to fit the image style very nicely.

Here in the UK recent news stories are that young women no longer aspire to be doctors or scientists and look up to the reality celebrity, footballers wife or pop star for their role models. If I owned HB I would want evey footballer in the land with a camera around their neck.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Before Larry Hansen became CEO and Chairman at Hasselblad, he was CEO for Zeiss Asia Pacific for 16 years, stationed in Japan. Zeiss' biggest customer in Asia was Sony.

Or maybe Fuji is just sick and tired of the whole relationship...

jcr

I found a short youtube clip with Hasselblad DKs area sales manager Jens Anthonsen talking about the Lunacy.

"..and now we have an camera I think that will be nice to have.. for people who let's say just think they want to have the best and don't care what the price is.." "..but also some of them they also when they buy things like that wanted to take fairly good pictures and they need to have a litte help because they are not skilled photographers it's people who normally takes with iphone or ipad or whatever..."

pophoto

I found a short youtube clip with Hasselblad DKs area sales manager Jens Anthonsen talking about the Lunacy.

"..and now we have an camera I think that will be nice to have.. for people who let's say just think they want to have the best and don't care what the price is.." "..but also some of them they also when they buy things like that wanted to take fairly good pictures and they need to have a litte help because they are not skilled photographers it's people who normally takes with iphone or ipad or whatever..."
How's that even a sales pitch, it really sounds like they are beyond help!

Swissblad

Sinhue
Even , if this would be right , should I throw my CFV-39 and CFV-50 backs away now ? ? ?
These backs give me very good results with my ALPA's and my various V-SYSTEM bodies .
And I do not see any need to go for PHASE or LEAF backs at this time .
I will never go for the LUNAR toy , that is for sure , but I will not replace my digital backs . That is for sure as well .
Jürgen - no I wouldn't dump my gear - but I'm definitely not buying any further H equipment, as the writing is on the wall as far as I'm concerned.
see PM

gazwas

I bet Phase are really kicking themselves for such a wasted opportunity. Photokina glory was just handed to them on a plate.

Had they released a credible upgrade to the DF I'm sure many HB shooters would be considering a switch in the light of the Looney announcement.

Dustbak

Maybe Ventizz should sell the Hasselblad brand to LVMH, they are in a much better position to launch the brand name Hasselblad as a fashion item.

Hopefully after that they will sell the camera technology for the H system to P1.....