The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

This forum...

Ben Rubinstein

McCallan, -bob

Macallan!

Dear oh dear.

Having two Scottish parents helps. At one time my father had a collection of 70 different single malts. The Macallan 18 year old was always his favorite though. They don't produce the 18 any more.

I'm actually extremely partial to the Aberlour a'bunadh (not available to you colonials) though I like the regular Aberlour 10 year old when I can't afford the better version. I have a brother in law who collects rarer single malts, every now and again he will let me have a 1/2 mm in a glass...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ah, scotch... I have a partial bottle of Macallan 18 hiding behind a Glenfiddich 18, did not know it is no longer produced -- that's a shame. But then there's the Glenmorangie 18 ;) And while I normally eschew blends, I must admit to an occasional few fingers of Johnny Walker Blue...

And re Hendricks gin... Bob introduced it to me just a few days ago, and I must admit it is my current favorite cocktail. My preference is bone dry, very cold and no garnish (though cucumber is the perfect call if one wants it garnished) and curiously in conflict with most other gins, it favors being stirred to shaken.

Cheers,

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Jack,

I've enough bad habits without you adding Hendrick's Gin to the list. Now where in Texas can I find it? :thumbup:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,

I've enough bad habits without you adding Hendrick's Gin to the list. Now where in Texas can I find it? :thumbup:
The good news is it's cheaper than Laphroaig :D Try a BevMo -- it's in a dark-colored, squattish and round bottle -- and grab a fresh cuke if your local grocer has them. Also note IMO it's too delicately flavored for vermouth, an olive or an onion, and I suspect any would kill the finish ;)

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Ah, BevMo and Trader Joe's, two things decadent California has that Texas lacks. Actually, a lot more than two. Would you believe I can't even buy beer in the county where I live.

But I've found Hendrick's just forty miles away, in Granbury.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
John,
It is not in the local drive-thru fer sure.
-bob

It looks like Hendricks might be spreading :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys. It hit about 78 degrees here today and the sun is shining brightly, even though low in the sky. I am headed to the gym for a workout, then home to a very cold, bone dry, ungarnished Hendricks martini. Again.

:D,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
88 here and ready to stick my head in a bucket of cold water if i can find it. Snow is very unlikely anytime soon if ever. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have about 2/3 botle of Macallen 18 on the back shelf, so given its rarity, I thought I would sample some of the Macallen cask strength and provide a short review.
The Cask strength is a bit redder in color. Nose: The Macallan 18 has a more fragrent nose; the cask strength has an almost yeasty aroma. On the tongue: The Cask Strength is sharper on the tongue, the 18 smoother. Finish: The cask strength has a longer and smooth finish, similiar but longer to the 18.
The 18 will stay on the back shelf until special guests arrive, the cask strength will be sipped, but the 12, or the 18 if you have it, is preferred IMO.
The sharper on the tongue is probably explained by the cask strength's 58.3% alcohol content.
-bob

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dude, you're supposed to serve cask strength scotch's with a spritz of water :D

A

Artorius

Sacrilege Jack

This is one of the original sins that didn't make it to the Tablets. Scotch is NOT to be combined with water after it is bottled.
On a lighter side, the Jamaicans make a great Lager, "Red Stripe", and of course Appleton Rum". They also have recently produced a Scotch, although I can't remember the name(it was that good lol)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
We don't have any of that in my bar.
But I ought to report that after liberal use, the Cask Strength led to a distinct reduction in central sharpness, significant softening of the corners, some additional fall-off, reduced DOF and possibly some camera shake.
Focus accuracy also was a bit off.
-bob

Ben Rubinstein

the cask strength should be diluted though you need to use mineral water and Highland mineral water for the true taste!

Personally I like it straight!