The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nadav Kander's Yangtze River

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thank you kindly Jono, nice of you to say so. I think that Nadav is one of the finest photographers working today and that Yangtze series is just so, so beautiful. It absolutely has all of the qualities of purely pictorialist landscape work and then a whole lot more besides.

He was very helpful while I was writing the piece, taking time to answer questions and have discussions, which was amazing because he has multiple assignments and projects on the go. For my money he is about the most talented photographer in the fine art genre working in the UK at the moment and pretty damned big on the world stage too: he had White House access to do a piece whereby he shot the whole of Obama's first cabinet. Yet he still takes the time to help a little known critic like me. What a guy!

Plus the stuff he said about the differences between shooting film and digital were real eye-openers; the comments of someone who is predominantly an artist, not a technician, but who has brilliant technical skills. I bet some of the people on the MF forum here would find that stuff interesting, though it doesn't make me want to shoot film again any time soon. His latest project, some studio nudes, was shot on P65+ but his processing makes them look part oil painting and part film - quite ghostly, like a sort of Caravaggio meets Lucian Freud.

Knorp

Thank you both: Jono for the heads up and Tim for his wonderful blog :salute:

All the best.

wattsy

Kander is easily the best photographer currently working in that slightly vague hinterland between advertising/commercial and fine art. His Beauty's Nothing is probably the first/only book I'd grab from my shelves in the event of a fire or flood.

Interesting blog piece too.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys,

Paul, I don't know what the film was but I can probably find out - it may take me a few days though... but I am guessing from the grain structure of the print I have that it was a tad slower than 160

tashley

Subscriber Member
I checked with Nadav's assistant: it was all shot on Kodak 160, though she didn't say in her email exactly which stock.