Site Sponsors

Thread: Just a note for all you in the NE US

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a note for all you in the NE US

Wishing you all safety in the face of Sandy!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Just a note for all you in the NE US

thanks jack

I live on the border of zone A (mandatory evacuation in NYC) and zone B (surge warning)
    and my shop is in Brooklyn zone A
    fortunately, I have nothing on the ground floors, but expect power outages and stuff blowing around

will be taking measures.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks.

I don't know why they are calling her Sandy? She is really Windy and Rainy.

We are kind of used to weather in Maine--one of the few place you can have a blizzard in a heat wave. The water is stored and the wood piled. We even were given a power outage this morning by the power company just to put us into the spirit of the occasion, and no, it has not reached Maine yet.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm painting a wall in the house which happens to be the big TV wall and watching CNN and this storm is looking worse by the minute. Folks seek shelter and get inside . Just about to slam into Cape May, Atlantic City and towns North. About 60 k without power right now. So I would be seriously ducking for cover. Good luck all are prayers are with you.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It has been raining on and off all day , and the wind is really picking up now . I am just outside of Philadelphia.

I have some friends riding out the storm just outside Atlantic City, NJ and it is bad. High tide comes at 8:00pm EST and it is a full moon. The water is already high.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just left Fort Lauderdale/Boca Raton at the weekend and thankfully it was only stormy and on & off gusty vs what you folks in the NE are getting today. I'm grateful for the boost my plane got going west but I feel for you all having to hunker down today.

Be safe and our thoughts are definitely with you. Let's hope for the best and that the weather guys are over hyping this one.

Looking on the bright side, my buddies are telling me that it's quite the winter wonderland in places inland.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The view outside. Wind and Rain.

--Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Georgian Bay is on the very edge of the storm but we're getting gale force winds. This from my living room window, a99, C1-7!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Bill, that's further proof of the superiority of C1 v7. I used Aperture. Look at the difference!

--Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kidding aside, I do like Aperture but it's not able to handle a99 files yet - and C1-7 is just magic!

Ride out that storm!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Magic it is! Not to get too , but I'm moving everything over to C1 as soon as the Catalog bugs get worked out.

We still have power, but people a bit south of us have lost it. Fingers crossed...

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep us updated Matt
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Everyone in the south, take care. This is a nasty storm. Fortunately, I will miss the brunt of the storm--I hope I did not just ink myself. BTW, the seaside may appear to be the most dramatic place to phtogrraph, but don't underestimate the swells andhow they come into shore. No photograph is worth dying for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Relatively calm and dry this morning. We're far enough north in the city that we still have power. Folks below 36th street may be out for a week! I hope that's a pessimistic estimate. The storm surge downtown was unprecedented. For those tired of weather information that consists entirely of videos of people standing in high wind babbling, you might like NOAA Tides and Currents - Home.
    For example, here's the water level at the southern tip of Manhattan.

Attachment 64964

Anyway, let's hope for rapid restoration of power and transportation. They don't grow a lot of food in the city...

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 30th October 2012 at 03:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well it's a sad day for me. The town I spent a lot of my teen age youth ( under the boardwalk) in Seaside Heights NJ is pretty much washed away. I saw some aerials today and the damage is unbelievable. I still have a Aunt and Cousin living there and still awaiting word on how they are doing.

I wish everyone again the best to get there life's back in order. Glad I am NOT a insurance agent in that area.

With that please try and make a donation to the American Red Cross as I am sure it is very needed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do hope your relatives are well and safe, Guy. Keep us in the loop.
    Bill

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i live in the Seaport hood, lower manahattan. we had about a 10' surge and most of the seaport area, shops and residences are at 5' or less, so there was major damage. I am fortunate in that my residence building is at +18' so we had no water damage, thanks for that!

the "surge" was more like an silient, insidiuous creep, the water level slowly rising until it overflowed doorways, breaking down doors and windows from water pressure, filling basements, floating all sorts of debris, and then just as slowly, subsiding. and it crested at about 8m, so it was dark. quite a nasty event

no power below 38th st maybe until the weekend, so no hot water, internet, chargers, cell phones are dodgy, texting works, etc.

several cars parked in the hood were completely submerged, windows punched out by floating debris.

my shop in the Navy yard was unaffected, except for lost power until today. about a 5' crest over at the yard, but only the lower areas were affected.

I'll try an put up a few shots later

jm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad you came out with no real damage. This was one nasty storm. In that whole area. NY and NJ just got hammered so bad. I have friends and relatives about 6 in total that have no idea yet on how there Jersey shore house faired up. They can't even get on the islands till at least Saturday. There must be thousands of of folks in the same situation. Very very sad to see that kind of damage.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad folks are all right. I hope we can clean up quickly and then start a real dialog about what action we should take about the changing climate. These are just going to become more frequent and more severe.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm going to post quite a few images mostly from lower manhattan, the Seaport area where i live
    ;

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another load. water crested, busted doors and windows, what protection you see was trivial. The seaport area varies in height quite a bit, but all you need is a few inches above your threshold

here the crest was +8'
    water level reached the tires of the car with headlights at 9pm Monday
    here the crest was +8'

black car had been submerged
    this suv also subereged and floating around
    flotsam from shops

submerged car
    Last edited by jlm; 31st October 2012 at 10:14.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i'm going to post quite a few images mostly from lower manhattan, the Seaport area where i live
    I suspect that is not a two-tone speckled paint job on the walls. I can only imagine the force of the water, even when moving "slowly."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just amazing that hallway level.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a few shots from the navy yard

Dugall's renovated building; under 5' or water, blasted out glass
    Last edited by jlm; 31st October 2012 at 10:32.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, good thing that CassOne container was tied to the building with an electrical cable or you could have lost it!

What a mess.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ha!

that location is about 50 ft from the edge of the pier, with about a 8" curb keeping it from floating out on the east river good thing the power plant had shut down

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Being a shipyard, are you expecting a lot of storm related repair work? I heard the Navy sent their boats out into the Atlantic before Sandy hit.

I lived in Japan for 16 years and saw the news of the tsunami while living in Maine. The interesting thing was the Maine ship building industry got a boost because they were contracted to make fishing boats--the Japanese boat building industry just couldn't meet the demand. And if you have ever seen a Japanese fishing boat, it must have been an interesting job as no Maine fishing boats resemble them.

Post Thanks / Like

After seeing all that destruction I wish you all fellows being effected by Sandy's devastation a rapid and smooth recovery.

Take care and all the best from the Red Sea,
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like

On Long Island, significant damage. Obviously the low lying south shore was really slammed. We're further north and far from the storm surge. The wind was the issue. Our block had many trees down. Some in the street. Some on houses, and some through houses. My son lives a couple of miles away and they had a tree in the front yard come down, but on the road and luckily not on the house (where the 3 year old sleeps). Power is still out (for more than 700,000 on Long Island), but we had old fashioned wired phones that worked. And we also have a weekend house 85 miles east. It lost power too, but the lines are underground and when they fixed the transmission lines it came back on late Tuesday night, so we packed up our stuff and our dog and headed east. My son's family came later yesterday and at least we are now dry and warm. We feel very lucky. So many others were not so fortunate and lost everything, some even their lives. Makes you feel very humble.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I still have family on the "Island" (South Shore) but haven't heard from them. Spent much of my younger days there too! Sounds like there was quite a lot of storm related distruction as well as the resulting hardships that often follow. As with Dave who just posted in the Nikon thread, who lives on the NJ shore and has apparently suffered considerable hardship, the one blessing is of course is when the loss is only of personal items. As difficult as a situation like that often is, I feel sadness for those who's loss is far greater as when loss of life is involved. Hope in time, all gets back to some degree of normalcy, as soon as possible for you and your family.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 1st November 2012 at 18:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great to see our members checking in and seeing they are safe. If there is anything we can do let us know . We are here to at least keep your spirits up.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a new crisis now is gasoline shortage due to no pumping power on most of Long island and at the storage facilities in NJ. very, very difficult to find a station open in brooklyn and manhattan

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I moved from Financial District (lower manhattan) to Upper West Side on Saturday in a prescheduled move.

What luck. My previous apartment is in the blackout and surrounded by devastation of various degrees. My new apartment was essentially unaffected. We were having beer at the local bar up to a few hours before the peak of the storm and were back at the same bar 24 hours later; no power outages, meaningful damage on the street, or other issues. My worst problem was walking 50 blocks to work (no subway service, bus service was severely congested), and frankly I needed the outdoor time after a few days of staying in from the storm.

Our owner and marketing director both live in long island and are fared far less well. A large tree was kind enough to redecorate the interior one of their living rooms. No loss of life or severe injury though, so compared to many they too were lucky. There are some horrible stories from this storm including a mother who watched her two children literally float away from after having to ditch from a car that was being submerged.

The Digital Transitions office itself never lost power and the surrounding area came through alright. We had to rely on cell phone internet until this morning when our broadband was restored.

The narrative on the late night shows is of two New Yorks - the largely unaffected north and the devastated south and waterfront. I don't see this as much of an exaggeration. My thoughts are with all those who were not as lucky as me.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

latest i heard on the gas crisis on Long Island: gunfights and brawls in the gas lines and now police at what few stations are open. even heard of robbers posing as electric company repairmen

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...e-movies/3786/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    latest i heard on the gas crisis on Long Island: gunfights and brawls in the gas lines and now police at what few stations are open. even heard of robbers posing as electric company repairmen

New York's Gas Crisis Is 'Like Something You See in the Movies' - Commute - The Atlantic Cities
    I don't know which is sadder, the effects of the storms or how we act afterwards. Compare that with hOw the Japanese behaved after the Kobe earthquake and the Tohoku tsunami.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    I moved from Financial District (lower manhattan) to Upper West Side on Saturday in a prescheduled move.

What luck. My previous apartment is in the blackout and surrounded by devastation of various degrees. My new apartment was essentially unaffected. We were having beer at the local bar up to a few hours before the peak of the storm and were back at the same bar 24 hours later; no power outages, meaningful damage on the street, or other issues. My worst problem was walking 50 blocks to work (no subway service, bus service was severely congested), and frankly I needed the outdoor time after a few days of staying in from the storm.

Our owner and marketing director both live in long island and are fared far less well. A large tree was kind enough to redecorate the interior one of their living rooms. No loss of life or severe injury though, so compared to many they too were lucky. There are some horrible stories from this storm including a mother who watched her two children literally float away from after having to ditch from a car that was being submerged.

The Digital Transitions office itself never lost power and the surrounding area came through alright. We had to rely on cell phone internet until this morning when our broadband was restored.

The narrative on the late night shows is of two New Yorks - the largely unaffected north and the devastated south and waterfront. I don't see this as much of an exaggeration. My thoughts are with all those who were not as lucky as me.
    Glad to hear you and DT office are ok, Doug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

iTunes Store . Go donate takes a grand total of 60 seconds.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I don't know which is sadder, the effects of the storms or how we act afterwards. Compare that with hOw the Japanese behaved after the Kobe earthquake and the Tohoku tsunami.
    How a small minority of us act afterwards. Our media is also very good about finding those small numbers and reporting the crap out of them. Whether this accounts for a small part of any such discrepancy or all of it I have no idea - never lived in Japan.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    How a small minority of us act afterwards. Our media is also very good about finding those small numbers and reporting the crap out of them. Whether this accounts for a small part of any such discrepancy or all of it I have no idea - never lived in Japan.
    Actually, in the video said this problem was easy to find--they did not have to look hard. This kind of behavior would not been seen at all in Japan--I lived there for 16 years and was there for the Kobe earthquake and the Saron (sp?) gas attacks as well as many powerful typhoons. They know there is a disaster and everyone is in the same boat--getting angry or frustrated is not going to solve the problem and they realize that everyone in that line is in the same situation. Empathy and thinking of others is important. It is sad to see my fellow Americans act this way when so many of our neighbors and friends lost so much--shouldn't they feel a little gratitude that they weathered the storm with little if any loss and couldn't they show a little patience toward all the other suffering through the same situation? And this is not limited to NYC, the same kind of reaction seems to be reported after every disaster. Sure, this is not a majority, but it is enough. And it is still sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Actually, in the video said this problem was easy to find--they did not have to look hard. This kind of behavior would not been seen at all in Japan--I lived there for 16 years and was there for the Kobe earthquake and the Saron (sp?) gas attacks as well as many powerful typhoons. They know there is a disaster and everyone is in the same boat--getting angry or frustrated is not going to solve the problem and they realize that everyone in that line is in the same situation. Empathy and thinking of others is important. It is sad to see my fellow Americans act this way when so many of our neighbors and friends lost so much--shouldn't they feel a little gratitude that they weathered the storm with little if any loss and couldn't they show a little patience toward all the other suffering through the same situation? And this is not limited to NYC, the same kind of reaction seems to be reported after every disaster. Sure, this is not a majority, but it is enough. And it is still sad.
    I don't disagree it is sad to see now on the other side of the coin when it comes to media reporting it instead of many worthwhile stories to report like helping others which rarely gets reported and there are thousands of unsung heros in this crisis helping out there community it's simply not worthy enough because of the rating the media gets. This part is even worse because its about money and advertising dollars. I would love to watch many more stories on the guy that walks up 40 flights of stairs to bring water to the elderly. But no ding bats get the air time and good folks do not. Not that they care but we as Americans care about seeing the hero's in all this. It's the inspiration and caring that I want my kids to see not someone pull a gun for a gallon of gas. **** don't get me started I'm frustrated by a lot of this media crap. I want to see news that counts. Maybe I'm crazy

What's even worse is reading and hearing political bullshit over this election during a major crisis. I'm sickened by this even more.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope you folks are getting the support you need ahead of the forthcoming cold season. So sorry to hear and see the devastation, particularly since its so random.

I also have faith in the common goodness of folks - hopefully we can ignore the sensationalist media and get along as we normally do.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

We are still without power after 9 days. However, we have another place to stay so we consider ourselves very very lucky. The devastation in the low lying areas in New Jersey and New York is just awful, but people here are pulling together, volunteering, donating and supporting. Gasoline has been a problem due to interrupted supply chain and stations without power. But New York in crisis can be a very large small town. Now there is a Nor'easter coming tomorrow so things are not looking up yet, and some areas may have to evacuate again.

We were also able to vote this morning even though we are 85 miles away because the NY Governor issued an order allowing "affidavit" voting for people displaced by the storm.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com