The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just a note for all you in the NE US

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks jack

I live on the border of zone A (mandatory evacuation in NYC) and zone B (surge warning)
and my shop is in Brooklyn zone A
fortunately, I have nothing on the ground floors, but expect power outages and stuff blowing around

will be taking measures.

Shashin

Thanks.

I don't know why they are calling her Sandy? She is really Windy and Rainy.

We are kind of used to weather in Maine--one of the few place you can have a blizzard in a heat wave. The water is stored and the wood piled. We even were given a power outage this morning by the power company just to put us into the spirit of the occasion, and no, it has not reached Maine yet.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm painting a wall in the house which happens to be the big TV wall and watching CNN and this storm is looking worse by the minute. Folks seek shelter and get inside . Just about to slam into Cape May, Atlantic City and towns North. About 60 k without power right now. So I would be seriously ducking for cover. Good luck all are prayers are with you.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
It has been raining on and off all day , and the wind is really picking up now . I am just outside of Philadelphia.

I have some friends riding out the storm just outside Atlantic City, NJ and it is bad. High tide comes at 8:00pm EST and it is a full moon. The water is already high.

Lance

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just left Fort Lauderdale/Boca Raton at the weekend and thankfully it was only stormy and on & off gusty vs what you folks in the NE are getting today. I'm grateful for the boost my plane got going west but I feel for you all having to hunker down today.

Be safe and our thoughts are definitely with you. Let's hope for the best and that the weather guys are over hyping this one.

Looking on the bright side, my buddies are telling me that it's quite the winter wonderland in places inland.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, Bill, that's further proof of the superiority of C1 v7. I used Aperture. Look at the difference! :ROTFL:

--Matt

MGrayson

Magic it is! Not to get too :OT:, but I'm moving everything over to C1 as soon as the Catalog bugs get worked out.

We still have power, but people a bit south of us have lost it. Fingers crossed...

Matt

Shashin

Everyone in the south, take care. This is a nasty storm. Fortunately, I will miss the brunt of the storm--I hope I did not just ink myself. BTW, the seaside may appear to be the most dramatic place to phtogrraph, but don't underestimate the swells andhow they come into shore. No photograph is worth dying for.

MGrayson

Relatively calm and dry this morning. We're far enough north in the city that we still have power. Folks below 36th street may be out for a week! I hope that's a pessimistic estimate. The storm surge downtown was unprecedented. For those tired of weather information that consists entirely of videos of people standing in high wind babbling, you might like NOAA Tides and Currents - Home.
For example, here's the water level at the southern tip of Manhattan.

View attachment 64964

Anyway, let's hope for rapid restoration of power and transportation. They don't grow a lot of food in the city...

--Matt

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Well it's a sad day for me. The town I spent a lot of my teen age youth ( under the boardwalk) in Seaside Heights NJ is pretty much washed away. I saw some aerials today and the damage is unbelievable. I still have a Aunt and Cousin living there and still awaiting word on how they are doing.

I wish everyone again the best to get there life's back in order. Glad I am NOT a insurance agent in that area.

With that please try and make a donation to the American Red Cross as I am sure it is very needed.

jlm

Workshop Member
i live in the Seaport hood, lower manahattan. we had about a 10' surge and most of the seaport area, shops and residences are at 5' or less, so there was major damage. I am fortunate in that my residence building is at +18' so we had no water damage, thanks for that!

the "surge" was more like an silient, insidiuous creep, the water level slowly rising until it overflowed doorways, breaking down doors and windows from water pressure, filling basements, floating all sorts of debris, and then just as slowly, subsiding. and it crested at about 8:pm, so it was dark. quite a nasty event

no power below 38th st maybe until the weekend, so no hot water, internet, chargers, cell phones are dodgy, texting works, etc.

several cars parked in the hood were completely submerged, windows punched out by floating debris.

my shop in the Navy yard was unaffected, except for lost power until today. about a 5' crest over at the yard, but only the lower areas were affected.

I'll try an put up a few shots later

jm

Guy Mancuso

Glad you came out with no real damage. This was one nasty storm. In that whole area. NY and NJ just got hammered so bad. I have friends and relatives about 6 in total that have no idea yet on how there Jersey shore house faired up. They can't even get on the islands till at least Saturday. There must be thousands of of folks in the same situation. Very very sad to see that kind of damage.

Shashin

Glad folks are all right. I hope we can clean up quickly and then start a real dialog about what action we should take about the changing climate. These are just going to become more frequent and more severe.

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm going to post quite a few images mostly from lower manhattan, the Seaport area where i live
;