The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Warning about fake emails from the Better Business Bureau

Don Libby

Long story short - got one today (from NYC). Didn't open any of the attachments (never do when I get something from an unknown). Instead did a Google and found the following: Click here.

What learned is in this paragraph: "If you receive an email claiming to be from our BBB, use your cursor and hover over any link(s) within the email. If the web address that pops up is different or from an entity other than the Better Business Bureau, the email is fraudulent. Also, the BBB doesn’t send out attachments via email when alerting businesses a complaint has been filed against them. Any email purporting to be from the BBB regarding a complaint and containing an attachment is fraudulent; ignore their contents and delete them immediately. If you have already clicked on a link in any of these emails, you should run a full virus scan of your computer."

Be careful!

Don

Don Libby

While we do business worldwide the email purported to come from New York City (along with 2-attachments). I stopped right there and opened a 2-windows did a Google first on the NY BB and found to closed due to the storm. I found the information on the fake email on a second Google. Dodged a huge bullet however spent time I didn't have researching the issue; I'll admit I am better educated on it now so it's a push.

:D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The ugly side of Sandy - exploit the loss of connectivity to verify bogus content.

Good to hear that you folks practice safe Internet! If in doubt, s@@t can it.