The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suffering Major G.A.S withdraw

fotografz

I am unemployeed as of Jan. 1 2009. :wtf:

First time since I was 14 years old (except for school). My ad agency is shutting down after our biggest account decided to downsize their ad partners and only use a global wide agency. Nice timing huh?

Am going full time photography (PM from Guy with any advice most welcome.:eek:)

To celebrate, I've secured a Sony A900 and bag full of Zeiss AF optics :D

Restructuring my studio and ramping up marketing: Will keep some Nikon stuff for low light and will be unloading a bunch of most excellent gear in the near future. :thumbs:

Stay tuned to a DPI F/S site near you!!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ah man this is bad news. It REALLY is getting rough out here folks. I am hearing layoffs in every industry, clients are just saying no work. Start booking the weddings Marc, you certainly have the talent and is a little bit recession proof. But still tough, my heart out to you and your family my friend. I know the agency was one of your great passions.

Guy Mancuso

I love the global wide agency talk, so who the hell are they. Don't answer i know some ad agency in NY raping there clients with triple our day rates and we only get 1/3 of it and they make the money. Ah don't get me started, my biggest bitch we look like we are charging huge amounts of money but goes in someone else's pocket , so we are the bad guys to the end client.

A

asabet

hehehehe:ROTFL::ROTFL:
You will be in HEAVEN w/ the Ikon & Planar...TRES FAB combination
Sharp & & smooth oof ...Congrats !!
Let me know about the 35 1.4 CV / ANOTHER GREAT LENS
Best-h
:D. Thanks Helen, the Ikon is due for delivery today. I've added a 90 Elmar-C to the other two, and I'm looking forward to being able to use them!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am unemployeed as of Jan. 1 2009. :wtf:

First time since I was 14 years old (except for school). My ad agency is shutting down after our biggest account decided to downsize their ad partners and only use a global wide agency. Nice timing huh?

Am going full time photography (PM from Guy with any advice most welcome.:eek:)

To celebrate, I've secured a Sony A900 and bag full of Zeiss AF optics :D

Restructuring my studio and ramping up marketing: Will keep some Nikon stuff for low light and will be unloading a bunch of most excellent gear in the near future. :thumbs:

Stay tuned to a DPI F/S site near you!!!!
Holy ****! That is not good news Marc, sorry to hear it. Good news is you are a stellar photographer and should have no trouble making it as a full-time pro.

Best wishes,

A

asabet

Holy ****! That is not good news Marc, sorry to hear it. Good news is you are a stellar photographer and should have no trouble making it as a full-time pro.
Yikes, I completely missed Marc's post. Marc, sorry to hear that news. I hope you will look back on this as a positive turning point for your own business!

fotografz

Best wishes,
Yeah Jack, just what I needed before Christmas ... as I watch my retirement fund also go south.

But with some restructuring, and more determined marketing efforts, we'll see what develops. Fortunately, once I sell off a few things to cover the new Sony, I'll own everything in my studio free and clear. :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Yikes, I completely missed Marc's post. Marc, sorry to hear that news. I hope you will look back on this as a positive turning point for your own business!
Sometimes crap turns to gold. I got laid off about 7 years ago as the chief photog for a Fortune 100 company and it is nice not answering to the man. But it is tough out here and i hate marketing myself. But I would not want it any other way. What i really need is a new website and sales rep. to sell me because i HATE doing it.

Like Marc i do own everything and my overhead is low but business right now needs a major B-12 shot in it.

fotografz

Sometimes crap turns to gold. I got laid off about 7 years ago as the chief photog for a Fortune 100 company and it is nice not answering to the man. But it is tough out here and i hate marketing myself. But I would not want it any other way. What i really need is a new website and sales rep. to sell me because i HATE doing it.

Like Marc i do own everything and my overhead is low but business right now needs a major B-12 shot in it.
Yeah Guy, that's what I meant about the rotten timing.

But, hey, I have something else I love and am equipped to do ... where there are a ton of folks out there that don't.

I'm in the process of starting up a kind of high end pet photography company called "Pampered Pet Photography" and the website should be on-line fairly soon. Plus, I've ramped up the wedding marketing with a premo listing on The Wedding Wire/Martha Steward Weddings.

Now I'm looking hard at how to market direct to corporate clients ... I've done a ton of stuff for American Axel and some for Meiden.
Those big Pano shots of Labs and Tech Centers get rave reviews ... and I love doing them ... so I'm going for that type stuff also.

Now if I could just land a nice table top account ... ;)

Guy Mancuso

Exactly right Marc you are in the position that has the gear already so no need to tap the 401 k like i had to do and the bottom line is you got talent , so in the end you win. That and your drive is all we have brother and we all can't beat that with a stick. Timing does stink but hopefully 6 months from now you will laugh at it and trust me there is a ton of pleasure laughing at it later.

helenhill

Oh I'm so Sorry Marc
my heartfelt BEST goes out to YOU

It sounds like you are moving Fast & Strong
in a Positive Creative way
be it Pampered Pets, MS Wedding Wire/etc
keep the Vision & the Heart & Mind Open

:)xo helen