The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Magpie Syndrome Again

Godfrey

I've been carefully trying NOT to look at equipment since I obtained the Bessa III. It's just too easy to become infatuated with pretty new shiny objects, I barely have time to use the equipment I've got already.

So of course something has caught my eye. And I'm working hard to rationalize why I would spend the money for it. And working hard to kill that urge. And then get ideas for the unique capabilities of this item ... and think hard about how little time I have to work on those ideas even if I had it ...

Sheesh. More anon ...

bensonga

So of course something has caught my eye.

Sheesh. More anon ...
And not even a HINT as to what this new shiny object might be? Help us out here Godfrey.....the rest of us might be interested in getting one too! :D :eek:

Gary

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Not even cold showers help for me. Just bought a 120mm makro Planar T* for my Hassy kit.:eek:
-bob

V

Vivek

I look at all the M9s goin on sale and the latest, cutest and the greatest from Sony. It ceratinly helps me. :ROTFL:

T.Karma

I've been carefully trying NOT to look at equipment since I obtained the Bessa III. It's just too easy to become infatuated with pretty new shiny objects, I barely have time to use the equipment I've got already.

So of course something has caught my eye. And I'm working hard to rationalize why I would spend the money for it. And working hard to kill that urge. And then get ideas for the unique capabilities of this item ... and think hard about how little time I have to work on those ideas even if I had it ...

Sheesh. More anon ...
There is still hope! Do something stupid so you will get in trouble and forget it for a while.

Godfrey

It is what it is.

I've made a payment.
It will likely arrive next week.
I'm excited and enthusiastic for the possibilities.

I discharged my holiday duties first, all the gifts are purchased and done.
I paid cash, no debt to remind me of my foolishness.

The Wait begins. Stay tuned.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It is what it is.

I've made a payment.
It will likely arrive next week.
I'm excited and enthusiastic for the possibilities.

I discharged my holiday duties first, all the gifts are purchased and done.
I paid cash, no debt to remind me of my foolishness.

The Wait begins. Stay tuned.
:watch:

Godfrey

There are four items in this latest Magpie Syndrome exercise.

Item number 1 in this acquisition happened today. Looks good.

Anticipation is more than half the fun ... ]'-)

Godfrey

There are four items in this latest Magpie Syndrome exercise.

Item number 1 in this acquisition happened today. Looks good.
Item number 2 arrived last evening.
Item number 3 due Monday.
Item number 4 due somewhere between Friday and Monday ...

Smiles. :)

Godfrey

Hmmm ... Item 4 has arrived early and is awaiting pickup at the post office tomorrow morning.

My excitement is building.

fotografz

The trick to defeating the "Magpie Syndrome" is procrastination. :lecture:

I put stuff in a "buy cart" like a Magpie does with its nest, and save it, returning day-after-day ... sometimes deleting an item, then putting it back in the cart the next day. Half the thrill is the promise, not the actual having ... since most of use have more than we need.

In the case of digital gear, procrastination can lead to obsolescence, as one shiny new toy trumps another in the juggernaut of new junk being announced weekly ... or the shiny item that has mesmerized me gets discounted ... for example, like they are already doing with the Canon 5D-III (not that I was considering one).

Become a procrastinator it is profitable and fulfilling :thumbs:

-Marc

P.S., many months before the big financial bubble burst, I had a number of high yield CDs come to maturity. I stuffed it all in a liquid Money Market account, then procrastinated endless rather than reinvest it into the Market like I had been advised. Most profitable procrastination event of my life!

Godfrey

The trick to defeating the "Magpie Syndrome" is procrastination.

I put stuff in a "buy cart" like a Magpie does with its nest, and save it, returning day-after-day ... sometimes deleting an item, then putting it back in the cart the next day. Half the thrill is the promise, not the actual having ... since most of use have more than we need.

In the case of digital gear, procrastination can lead to obsolescence, as one shiny new toy trumps another in the juggernaut of new junk being announced weekly ... or the shiny item that has mesmerized me gets discounted ... for example, like they are already doing with the Canon 5D-III (not that I was considering one).

Become a procrastinator it is profitable and fulfilling

-Marc

P.S., many months before the big financial bubble burst, I had a number of high yield CDs come to maturity. I stuffed it all in a liquid Money Market account, then procrastinated endless rather than reinvest it into the Market like I had been advised. Most profitable procrastination event of my life!
Your strategy is very similar to my own. I have dozens of things in various buy carts, and studiously avoid signing up for any one-click purchase services. I also have a policy that all on-line purchases must be made with a check or Paypal from a specific debit-only account in one bank, and I keep my money in a separate credit union, which means that when I contemplate a biggish expenditure, I have to go to the credit union, withdraw the money, and then to the checking bank and deposit it.

All this stuff slows down the process enough to force me to think about it carefully. I'd say 95% of what I put on my wish list or into a cart is eventually just deleted as no longer of interest.

That did not happen this time ... =8^|

A lucky accident on those CDs! Good on you!

Godfrey

Or your wife hiding your credit cards...
I don't use credit cards. Gave up that madness a few years ago. I have VISA accredited bank debit cards only. I pay cash for everything, essentially, unless I write a contract for a home mortgage or auto loan.

Much saner...

Godfrey

Hmmm ... Item 4 has arrived early and is awaiting pickup at the post office tomorrow morning.

My excitement is building.
The box is on my desk. I don't have time to open it until I arrive home this evening. If item #3 arrives today, it will be time to take some photos and reveal the latest excess ...

Shashin

I don't use credit cards. Gave up that madness a few years ago. I have VISA accredited bank debit cards only. I pay cash for everything, essentially, unless I write a contract for a home mortgage or auto loan.

Much saner...
The problem with debits cards, if they are stolen and used, you lose your money. With credit cards, you refuse the charge. I always pay off the credit cards at the end of the month.