Site Sponsors

Thread: GAS madness

Post Thanks / Like

GAS madness

As most here, I am afflicted with the GAS issue.

I sometimes dream of paring it all back to one body and a compact and be done. I think after my DP2M I'm hopping off the "bleeding edge". I see the GH2 has now hit US$499 and really that is a lot of camera for the $$. I paid more than twice that for my OM-D and the differences are there but subtle. I think many photogs keep up by going for last years tech - saving some bucks along the way. Does it really affect our images that much having the latest? Could we be better image makers becoming more familiar with our tools - keep them longer to know them better? Maybe miss each upgrade doing alternate versions? I dunno.

What do you think? Do you love your collection of aging technology? How many M8 buyers didn't upgrade to a M9 and still use their M8?

I am now dividing the loss on each used digital camera sold between the images made with it, and it could be a figure in excess of Kodachrome processing per frame from film days.

GAS. I know its been discussed before but I need some input here people!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: GAS madness

I am not probably the best person to give an answer because I really don't like shopping. The first rule of not buying something is to stop looking. Those point-of-purchase displays work because people simply are impulsive.

This is my "philosophy" for cameras and in no particular order. Buy quality simply because it lasts longer. Buy something that is not simply a duplicate--I never understood photographers that had a whole bunch of 35mm SLRs. And know thyself. if I buy or try something that I really never use, then I don't make the same mistake again. It sounds obvious, but after sometime on forums like this, lots of folks are selling something because it is, for example, too big, then go and buy a big camera a few years later because they think they are missing something only to sell it again. And I am always looking for ways to simplify or streamline my gear: do I really need that much gear?

It is funny. The less stuff I have, the more photography I do and the more satisfying it is.

However, some people really like buying cameras. If you are simply addicted to the gear, admit it and stop torturing yourself. As long as your not staving your kids and dog and stealing from little old ladies to fund your addiction, then just enjoy it. If you are thinking this is some logical economic pursuit, you are crazy. You save the most money by not spending it. If you want to "invest," then stocks and bonds are better than consumer goods. Just come clean and say you like to waste your money on cameras in that case and forget the guilt. Repeat after me: my name is Tim and I buy cameras...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I programmed my Mac to give me a serious electrical shock when I hit "add to cart""

That fixed my GAS quick. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hardly ever buy the latest model. Last week, I bought almost unused GH1 and GH2 bodies for very nice prices. Why? Because I'm very happy with the performance of my GH1, but if I'm going to use this for work related stuff, I need more than one body. I know an OM-D and/or a GH3 would offer additional features and even better image quality, but would that really increase my enjoyment of taking photos, and would my clients notice? Hardly.

Most of my Nikon gear was bought the same way; the 80-200 AF-S after the 70-200 was launched, the D2Xs (like new, with 5,000 clicks) for 10% of its original new price, and they both work excellently. I have way too much gear, but most of it have come at very reasonable prices
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I programmed my Mac to give me a serious electrical shock when I hit "add to cart""

Your wife has not electrified your credit cards yet? Kind of like an invisible fence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Repeat after me: my name is Tim and I buy cameras...
    Hi, my name is Tim and I... I buy cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Now there is an idea... where do I buy that now??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Your wife has not electrified your credit cards yet? Kind of like an invisible fence.
    Guy needs one of those shock collars they use to train dogs. A horrible thing to do to a dog, but still....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hi, my name is Tim and I... I buy cameras

Now there is an idea... where do I buy that now??
    Just move to Thailand. At the house where I'm sitting now, I get small electric shocks whenever I touch a metal part of my MacBook if it's connected to the charger.

This happens even if I haven't bought any new gear in days!
    Guess it must be punishment for sins accumulated throughout the years

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For the past two years, I've been experimenting and acquiring a ton of gear in the process. I've discovered a lot of things about what I want, what I like, and what will produce the work I want to do next. They're not always the same.

I'm now at the end of that. I have what I will work with, and I have ideas about what to pursue with it. The next year, I'll be letting go of the extra.

I won't be down to "one body, one lens" or anything like that. But my kit is going to become much smaller in another year.

Regards whether I like my "old" gear: I still like the Olympus E-1 more than most other DSLRs I've tried. I still love the old Nikon F from 1972. The Voigtländer Perkeo II and Balda Baldix are a joy. And my trusty Rollei 35S ... well, you get the gist. ;-)

Now that I've become settled in what I want to pursue, and what equipment is going to get me there, I'll have much less reason to even look at all the new stuff emerging into the marketplace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple of months ago I discovered a spare Hassy darkslide that has been sitting in my drawer of curiosities for about 15 years.
    Since that investment had already been made, I decided to build the rest of the kit around it.
    -bob
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of the same for me. Had this roll of film and decided to buy an ala carte M7. Then I needed a lens and since the M7 is BP I bought a BP 35 cron asph. Now that I shot that roll I need more film.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    A couple of months ago I discovered a spare Hassy darkslide that has been sitting in my drawer of curiosities for about 15 years.
    Since that investment had already been made, I decided to build the rest of the kit around it.
    -bob
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... which reminds me that I bought a lens hood for a Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 a year or so ago, just in case I should fancy buying a lens for it, and maybe a camera and another lens...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    Kind of the same for me. Had this roll of film and decided to buy an ala carte M7. Then I needed a lens and since the M7 is BP I bought a BP 35 cron asph. Now that I shot that roll I need more film.
    I hope you don't have some engine oil lying about you may end up with a Bugatti Veyron.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some of you may be joking, but I have used that technique quite effectively on myself. I bought some La Marzocco espresso cups and they just looked wrong without a machine to go with them. Unfortunately, a collection of Pentax 645 lenses never produced a 645D, so sometimes the spell doesn't work.

We are one strange species.

--Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a number of friends whose primary hobby is carpentry.

None of them have only one saw, or one chisel, or one...well, you get it.

That's my rationale for three camera systems and I'm sticking to it.

Bil

Oh by the way, I do USE all of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

None of my family or friends really understand my interest in cameras. Yes, I know..."interest" could be a slight understatement.

They would probably be ok with it if I had only three camera systems, but honestly....ONLY three camera systems?

I'm impressed at your self-constraint Bill. Truly impressed.

However, I'm not sure that having three camera systems qualifies as confirmed case of GAS. Perhaps a very mild case?

I don't want to begin counting up my camera "systems". Maybe I can I count film and digital as "one" system, if lenses are interchangeable. That will help to reduce the count.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Often when I consider reducing the number of cameras or systems (I don't have that many... honestly ), I think about people who collect stamps. I mean, tiny pieces of paper that are supposed to be worth lots of monies? I even use my cameras, all of them

Maybe I should have a closer look at one of those brand-new-in-box F-1 bodies the next time I visit Hong Kong

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

F-1? I thought you were a Nikon guy Jorgen.

Let me guess....you're in the market for a real F1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use Nikon out of convenience, not of passion (except maybe the F6 and the D2Xs). My criteria for choosing a camera is that it represented State of the Art within its category at the time of manufacture and that it's good industrial design. Unfortunately, many cameras fall into this category, so what I buy is often a coincience. If what seems to be a good deal comes up while I have some money to spare, I tend to buy. But you are right, I don't have any Canon gear, so buying an F-1 would be a few extra steps. But sooner or later...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I use Nikon out of convenience, not of passion (except maybe the F6 and the D2Xs). My criteria for choosing a camera is that it represented State of the Art within its category at the time of manufacture and that it's good industrial design. Unfortunately, many cameras fall into this category, so what I buy is often a coincience. If what seems to be a good deal comes up while I have some money to spare, I tend to buy. But you are right, I don't have any Canon gear, so buying an F-1 would be a few extra steps. But sooner or later...
    Ok, ok....but I'm still holding out hope that you will be the first one here at GetDPI to buy a F1, not an F-1, but a real, honest to god F1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Ok, ok....but I'm still holding out hope that you will be the first one here at GetDPI to buy a F1, not an F-1, but a real, honest to god F1.
    In 5 minutes, I'm leaving home to spend 4 days at Bang Saen Speed Week. That's as close as I'll get to F1 this week

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

duty madness

4 long days surrounded by colored umbrellas

talk about a man who knows his duty and his responsibility

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: duty madness

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    4 long days surrounded by colored umbrellas
    ... and old Toyotas

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/9 and 1/80s

... and some black, magic Italians

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/14 and 1/100s

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very cool cars! Ok....now we'd like to see the umbrella girls. ;-)