The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Donations needed for photo program

aboudd

I posted a call for equipment donations on the Gear for Sale forum last month. A number of people donated some gear, but the situation really calls for money.

I have been teaching photography at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, D.C. Like every arts program in public schools throughout the country, the programs are underfunded and the program for photography suffers more than most. The students have a serious interest in the craft, they want to learn but they are hobbled be inferior gear. I would like to raise enough money to buy 10 DSLR cameras for the department, something along the line of a Nikon D90 or Canon 60D with a basic zoom lens. Right now we have a mix of models and manufacturers, only one DSLR, you can see the problem.

Donations are tax deductible, I will get you the proper acknowledgement for tax purposes. A donation of $25 or more would be greatly appreciated. If you can give, make a check out to Duke Ellington School of the Arts and in the memo line write "Museum Arts Photo Dept. donation. Send the checks to me and I will hand deliver them to the school and get you the proper receipt.

If you would like to participate in this effort, drop me a note at [email protected]

It's almost Christmas, give a little back.

To learn more about the school go to Duke Ellington School of the Arts

Shashin

You may be doing this the wrong way. Who in the school system can help you look for and write a grant? There is money out there, you just need to look.

BTW, you could almost get two Canon T3s with lenses for one D60 body. And how about insurance? Will the school insurance cover the replacement for loss and damage--I would find out.

I am assuming you have ten students, but that does not mean you need ten cameras. It is easy to setup a check out system where students can check out cameras even without bothering you. We have an online scheduler where the student puts in the time they need a camera and they have card access to an area where the cameras are stored in cubbies. It is very easy and the students learn to pace themselves. And there is nothing wrong with students using "lesser" cameras.

V

Vivek

I would expect the parents of the local school to be spear heading a fund drive for cameras and such. How many of the students own an iPhone or an iPad?

Basic science and maths ought to be the key focus and the money ought to go there as a priority.

It is a matter of focusing on the priorities.

aboudd

I was just suggesting certain cameras, I suppose the Canon T3s would do the job. As far as grants go, that is too long a process with too much paperwork involved, we need a more immediate solution. Yes, I do want ten cameras for ten students. The cameras are used only in an instructor's presence, in the school or on outings and each student needs one.

Vivek, you miss the point. This is a public school with an emphasis on arts like no other in the city. Three hours a day are exclusively arts programs. Your idea of where the money should go is irrelevant in this conversation, and snobbish as far as I am concerned. It is not the academics that are underfunded, it's the arts, more so the photography program as it is younger than the others. You would expect the parents to spearhead the drive? Should we run a bake sale and a car wash? I guess all of these working parents have a lot of free time I'll call them today. Maybe they will answer on their iPhones. Of course all of these inner city kids can use their iPads learn photography - so I guess there is no problem after all.

V

Vivek

Aboudd, It is fine if you think I am being snobbish, blah and blah. I have absolutely no pity when it comes to these things. Do not abuse Christmas and such occasions for these. There are far more deserving causes where you are and where I am.

BlasR

Obama giving free phone, and free cash as well!..what about asking for those the don't have anything to eat?

I will donate for those the don't have clothes for this winter!

Merry Xmas!!!

Shashin

Vivek and BlasR, as usual, thank you for your most helpful advice. While we understand your natural superiority in everything gives you a perfect view of things, sometimes people just need to find clumsy solutions for for undeserving projects.

The poor certainly thank you for your generous donations. Both of you certainly understand the spirit of the season.

V

Vivek

Dumb a$$es have some uncanny ability to characterize anyone as they fit. :mad:

Imagine a school kid from utter poverty coming across a piece paper on cyanotype processing and going and getting a few grams of ferric ammonium citrate in a place not known for wealth and learning a few things in chemistry while having fun on the way. Imagine someone learning photography on a borrowed Canon Electro 35 and re spooled film (expired B&W from movie industry) rated at 640ASA. Do you know how to build a dark room in a card board box?! Anything can be done on a shoe string budget (or even no budget at all).

Get a real life guys!

fotografz

Aboudd, bless you for helping those in need.

The Arts are under attack, and oddly even some involved in the Arts do not seem to support efforts such as this program.

Of course there are those in more immediate need, so what? A thousand charities are on the job. I say give to them AND reach out to those that can shore up the Arts ... without which any life is less, whether poor or wealthy in material possessions.

I went to public school in a rough part of Detroit. Were it not for my dedicated art teacher I may have succumbed to the prevailing mentality to what end I know not. What I do know is that with her encouragement and support as my root cause, I went on to eventually make a very successful creative career. A career BTW that put me into a position to help feed over 200,000 needy families before I retired.

So a small act such as yours, can get played forward in amazing ways.

Keep up the good works.

-Marc

aboudd

Marc,

Thank you. I am really touched by your note. You are a real life example of the role that art instruction may play in the life of a young person. This is what all of us who teach in the arts strive for. Thanks for the encouragement.

Aboud

aboudd

Thanks to Phil R. of Rockville MD for donating a pristine Canon 30D with a 17-85 USM.
This is a most generous donation.

Thanks also to the gentlemen who donated a studio strobe set. The school received it just before the Christmas break. Wow.

Come on gang, I know there are more of you out there.

Happy New Year to all.