The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re: Testing...Please Ignor this Post

D&A

Yes, you have to copy the URL that has the .jpg extension at the end.

Hold on, another vid coming up :)

Also, what browser are you using?
Without my having the option to "Copy Image Address", I cannot copy a URL that has the .jpg extension in it. Just opening one of my images large in Flickr and looking at (or coping) that pages web address isn't suffcient. It doesn't have the URL with the .jpg extention.

I am using IE as my browser. You know something? I have Safari on my PC. I wonder if I open my Flickr image in Safari, whether the option to "Copy Image Address" will show up. Let me go and try now...then I'll look at your 3rd video.

Dave (D&A)

Dave

monza

If you are on a PC, try the Chrome browser and see if it has the Copy Image URL popup menu. That's far quicker. :)

Or yes, try Safari for Windows.

D&A

Here you go.

bbcode - YouTube

Select the desired size, and copy the code.

Then paste into your post on the forum.

This will give you a clickable image, of course.

You'll need to parse out the actual URL with the .jpg file extension, and put that between the img and /img markers, as outlined earlier.

Easier: Copy said URL, and use the Image Insert icon.
Thats exactly what I've been doing (based on many of your original suggestions). I go to one of my flickr images (in Photostream) and click on "Share" option. From there there is the option to copy either the HTTP code or BB code. Only the BB code works here in GEtdpi. Once I copy the BB code I paste it with the yellow "insert image" here on Getdpi (remebering to 1st get rid of the "http://" that 1st shows up when you click on the little yellow insert option.

Then after pasting the Flickr "BB" code I can either do one of two things:

1. Post the BB code exactly as pasted and the image will come up but will be clickable back to Flickr OR

2. Before posting the BB code, I parse exactly as your described. This will allow the image to come up on Getdpi, but it won't be clickable!

With #2 option, I have to be very precise what I cut out (remove)..or no image will post.

Thats why I would like to find a way to be able to use the "Save Image Address" option which doesn't come up when I right click.

As a side note, when one copies the BB code in the "Share" option on Flickr, the largest sized image offered is 1024!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

If you are on a PC, try the Chrome browser and see if it has the Copy Image URL popup menu. That's far quicker. :)

Or yes, try Safari for Windows.
OK, trying Safari now...I'll let you knwo what happens.

Dave (D&A)

monza

Yes, the max is 1024 with that method, and it's messy since one has to parse the URL.

Try another browser. :)

D&A

This is the result when I use Safari with the Option "Save Image Address", which "IS" available now! Obviously the issue was using IE. The 1st image posted below was the 1600 pixel (on longest side) option. The second image was with the 1024 pixel (on longest side) Maybe the larger one is too big for posting on Getdpi...but its certainly larger than my previously posted image. Maybe I can find a way for one of my images to cover all the postings in an entire thread...LOL (just kidding).

Monza, your ideas worked! I assume the Pro level option in Flickr allows access to even larger sizes, but thats a secondary issue. All my questions have been helped! Can't thank you and everyone else enough for staying with this thread while I worked things out. Very much appreciated!

Monza, I may have to recind my Academy Award to you for your fine video's unless you start dubbing in voice and additionally add romantic soundtrack...LOL!!!

D&A

There you go!
Whoa, what happened??? Monza, I just experienced what you described yesterday. When the images (especially the larger 1600 pixel one) came up on my monitor, the width filled the entire Getdpi webpage. When I reloaded the page, everything shrunk in size. Does that mean to show an image larger than the one you see now (after refreshing the page) I would have to pull up an even larger image in Flickr (like 2200-2600 pixels approx. on the long side) in order for it to post larger than the my largest one seen in my last post? If so, I would probably have to go to a Pro acc't I guess?

Oops, I just re-read a previous post of yours. I'd have to get a Pro acc't so I can link to the original image URL. Makes sense and also will allow unlimited hosting of images. Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

monza

Yes, I have seen the same effect. Apparently the forum is capable of displaying images at full resolution, but some code resizes them. Editing a post does not refresh the entire page and doesn't call that code.

I am using an Asus display, 1920x1080.

D&A

Yes, I have seen the same effect. Apparently the forum is capable of displaying images at full resolution, but some code resizes them. Editing a post does not refresh the entire page and doesn't call that code.

I am using an Asus display, 1920x1080.
Interesting...that probably explains it. The monior I was using at the time was a NEC 26" Multisync. I don't think the effect or shrinking when the page was reloaded had anything to do with the size or resolution of the monitor.

Dave (D&A)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Testing ... Please Ignore This Post

You guys are too much! Where are all of you when I put something up in the FS forum...LOL! (...)

The next time you want to sell something on the B&S board just add to the headline:
" ... please ignore this thread" and it will immediately be invaded :lecture:

And that goes for Vivek's excellent idea too (post # 20):
"Exquisite fun with Leica M240 + Apo-Summicron-M 2/50 Asph ... please ignore this thread" :D

D&A

Re: Testing ... Please Ignore This Post

:ROTFL:

The next time you want to sell something on the B&S board just add to the headline:
" ... please ignore this thread" and it will immediately be invaded :lecture:

And that goes for Vivek's excellent idea too (post # 20):
"Exquisite fun with Leica M240 + Apo-Summicron-M 2/50 Asph ... please ignore this thread" :D

LOL Steen! As I said you guys are too much! Once I had a post with the subject heading that include "help"...received no replies. This one said "Please Ignore" and I had a avalanche of replies. Guess its human nature to go where you're not supposed to go :)

Oh by the way does anyone know how much Vivek wants for his Leica M240 + Apo-Summicron-M 2/50 Asph? I'm ready to purchase today since I desperately need one to capture the all the detail in snowflakes starting to fall at the moment. They won't last long and don't want to miss this golden opportuity. :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Too Tempting ... Please Also Ignore This Post .-)

Steen, the bokeh of that image is worth posting! :)..so while I'm at it, please let us know what lens was used to take your image! (...)

Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF - by the way famous for its horrible bokeh.
(Also specified in the tiny text under the picture you refer to).

Its bokeh is fine with me though I do admit it can sometimes be a bit nervous.
But in my opinion even imperfections like that can often be fascinating.
Here's an illustrative example, wide open.

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/1000 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Lightroom 4.3

OlliL

Re: Too Tempting ... Please Also Ignore This Post .-)

I heard that it helps to stop down a lens, to a lower aperture, to avoid this "bokeh-thing" :poke:

....but please ignore this post :toocool:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

This thread may be stealing the thunder from the slow day here thread.
-bob

D&A

Re: Too Tempting ... Please Also Ignore This Post .-)

Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF - by the way famous for its horrible bokeh.
(Also specified in the tiny text under the picture you refer to).

But in my opinion even imperfections like that can often be fascinating.
Here's an illustrative example, wide open.

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/1000 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Lightroom 4.3
Just when I've gotten back to that relaxed "mission accomplied" feeling, you go ahead and posted this image. It's making me nervous...or should I say it's bokeh is :eek: (LOL!) ....and here I was just getting to the point of admiring the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 . Maybe I was right all along and this thread should have been ignored by most :shocked:

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

I might as well make an appropriate photographic contribution

-bob

Last edited:

D&A

I might as well make an appropriate photographic contribution

-bob
Wow Bob, those mirror-like reflections are just like those seen at Mirror Lake (in Yosemite)! Nicely done! :ROTFL:

...except what's with those pentagon shaped specular highlights above and to the right of the orange-red cup? LOL!

Dave (D&A)