The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Death Valley Tips?

Next week will be in Death Valley for a couple of days. Haven't been there in many many years. Plan to take my D800 and Sony Rx1 along with a couple of tripods. Will use the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and perhaps the 24//1.4. Instead of filters I will probably do a little bracketing and HDR.

Lot of photos ops, but for now will try Zabriske Point sunrise, Badwater and Mesquite Dunes sunrise or sunset and if time permits the Racetrack. Will also try some nightscape photography since the new moon is on February 9.

If you have some tips, recommendations or ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks. Joe

jlm

Workshop Member
i've been there a couple of times and absolutely love the place, stay at he furnace creek inn if it fits your budget..

besides the places you mentioned, there is great "canyon" hike (3 hours0 loop (Golden canyon) that starts off the badwater road, works its way through the hills to right under zabriskie point, then back out a dry river bed to the road, about a 10 minute walk back to your car parallel top the road. can't remember the name right now of the second part of the loop, but is is obvious. some great afternoon lighting in the canyons and a very different experience than the typical drive-by sites

in fact, all of the canyon hikes, and we diid many, are great. carry a couple quarts of water.

Don Libby

Be there the end of Feb around the full moon. No hints or tips and I actually like the areas you're planning on seeing. There's also a slot canyon of sorts near Stovepipe Wells; I'll see if I can find more info for you.

Don

kdphotography

Totally agree with John about staying at Furnace Creek. There are more services there, including food choices and internet. Here's my favorite tip: Stay at Furnace Creek Ranch Inn, which is clean and reasonable----and then have breakfast (after your sunrise shooting) at Furnace Creek Resort (just a stone's throw away). They have great fresh ground french roast coffee and raw sugar. And a good breakfast!

Titus Canyon is another good drive.

ken

kdphotography

Be there the end of Feb around the full moon. No hints or tips and I actually like the areas you're planning on seeing. There's also a slot canyon of sorts near Stovepipe Wells; I'll see if I can find more info for you.

Don
Marble Canyon?

Outstanding Don, Jim, and kdphotography.
Yes, will be staying at Furnace Creek Ranch and looking forward to some post sunrise coffee.
I remember Mosaic Canyon - beautiful and surreal sedimentary rocks!
I will definitely look into the Golden Valley and Titus Canyon - just hoping I have enough time.
Seems like Death Valley photography can be a bit of a marathon with so much to do.