The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Color images from late 30's/early 40's America

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I never was a big shooter of Kodachrome but the more I see of it the more it seems like a travesty that it's gone. I love these shots and the early era of colour too.

We'll still be enjoying these long after most of the work produced today has hit the bit bucket. :( Progress?

jlm

Workshop Member
some very nice work, inspiring vision and a gripping view of a time not so long ago. my mother was about 20 then.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That was my initial thought too John -- in 1939 my dad was 22 and enlisted in what was then the "US Army Air Corps," which became the US Air Force shortly thereafter. The woman who would become my mother had just turned 18 and they were married a year later.

Shashin

Soft corners, low DR, bad color, and grain. Makes you think what is really important in photography.

V

Vivek

I watched them yesterday and will be going through them again in the future. Awesome record!

Thanks for the post, Jack! :)

JoelM

Damn, I just read, a week ago or so, a great article about the FSA pics and photographers and that very few color rolls were shot. It's a great article that talked about who shot what and why so little color was shot. I tried to find it, but it isn't online. It might have been in last months Shutterbug magazine. The classic shot of the cowboy on horseback with the dog looking up was in the article.

Joel

D&A

A wonderful collection of historical images of that era and of the men woman and children that often struggled through hard times in order to make the lives of succeding generations better.

A couple of my own lobservations, among many that I have. Interesting when the subject matter and image is so strong, we tend to look past inaccuracies of color and get absorbed in the photograph itelf. In many, the overall color bias, especially in skin tones is heavily warm or they take on an orange hue...believe it or not, not unlike the latest new digital "M" model from Leica, which of course many have complained about it's WB :). Of course I'm just making the point that a great image is just that...it stands on it's own merrits.

For those credited for many of these images, they often most certainly had a critical eye towards good composition and subject matter.

Lastly I'd have to go back and review the dats of images, but there appeared to be a noticable improvement in color accuracy with those images taken in the mid-late 40's when compared to those of a decade earlier.

Great Stuff and very much appreciate the posting!

Dave (D&A)