The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hitler Goes back to film

V

Vivek

Thanks, Jono (and Quentin)!

Non stop :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Bloody brilliant!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

robmac

The scripting is hilarious - and the timing to the actor's movements and expressions bang on the money.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin Note: Moved this to the Sunset Bar which is where it really belongs, and note there are now three threads here with this link...

Lili

Ok Now I need Oxygen!
The Ken Rockwell lineand the dig at Coolpix finished me off
:ROTFL:

Lars

There you go - another nail in the coffin of that digital fad.
It'll go away as fast as that other fad, the internet.

LJL

Who else had a left-handed SLR?

NR
Achtung! in keeping with the time and tone of this clever clip, one should not overlook the Exakta cameras that were made in Dresden and other places in Germany that did have a left-handed film advance and shutter release.;)

LJ

Yes, it is well done and funny, and yes, every disrespect for that utterly despicable dictator is allowed and even laudable.

But still....

I have some rudimentary understanding of German, so I watched the clip a couple of times, trying to concentrate on the spoken dialog, and was stunned. This level of actorship is very, very rare. Bruno Ganz IS Hitler; the level of understanding and enacting, empathy even, of the sinister end of one of the most evil and mentally disturbed leaders in 20th century history is absolutely incredible.

So, in some way, I feel the clip is somewhat in disrespect of a great artist and actor. Seriously. It´s like drawing a moustache on a character in a Cartier-Bresson shot.

I feel I have to go and try to find the original film. It must be well worth seeing.

charlesphoto

Last Days is one of my favorite films. Ganz is amazing. And be sure to watch the making of on the dvd. Fascinating stuff.

Yeah, the humor doesn't work as well if you are a German speaker (my wife is from Dusseldorf). And/or if you don't know anything about the silly digital wars.

Dale Allyn

This clip was also adapted with sub-titles showing Hitler taking a big hit on his mortgage and stock investments. That's the version I saw first and it's quite funny as well.

I agree, the film was excellent.

HansAlbert

The movie "Der Untergang" (Downfall) is a serious but unavoidably paradox attempt. There has been much discussion in my country, understandably, how to treat the subject responsibly, and all in all the performance is adequate. I don't like a certain didactic trait in it, but that's a minor point. Bruno Ganz' self conquest and self denial in acting H is admirable; he least of all deserves his efforts being lowered to the level of shallow amusement.

Laughing at sb. or sth. is spontaneous and independent of moral aspects, but this means that the opportunity of laughing cannot be the highest criterion for our decisions what to acknowledge as public amusements and what to expect of others to tolerate. There are many occasions to laugh (in some respects) at the Nazis – even Hannah Arendt, observing the Eichmann trial, couldn't help laughing –, but for our decisions not the involuntary laughing but the feelings of the victims should come first. To create H a cult figure of a comedy movie clip is putting the cupidity for fun at first place and belittle other aspects. "Fun is the ultimate." seems to have become the most widespread religion now, and its adherents feel entitled to judge and justify everything by its fun value. The one-dimensional man, already reality? And H, of all people, a figure of fun in this fun orgy? "Hail Fun!"

charlesphoto

Hans,

I seriously doubt anyone is discounting what Hitler did and what it means to many people around the world.

But if we can't all learn to laugh and have fun then we will continue to remain in the same sh*t that goes on despite the legacy of the likes of Hitler. It's a stab at people being too serious (in this case about a freaking camera) and it's the contrast and absurdity of using the likes of Hitler (who was delusional in his own way - he essentially treated the world as his own "hobby") that makes it work.

If all serious subjects were made taboo for comedians it would be a sad world indeed.

Take care,

Charles

kevin

The film is great. The whole thing is worth watching if you're seriously interested in the subject.

But for true black humor, the "into the bunker" mentality of true believers - no matter what their cause - can have no better illustration than the original "Fuhrer in his bunker," can it? I think that's why this clip gets used so often. This is about the fourth of fifth time I've seen it linked to one subject or another. :)

O

Oxide Blu

... There are many occasions to laugh (in some respects) at the Nazis ... but for our decisions not the involuntary laughing but the feelings of the victims should come first.
And what "victims" would those be?

That is one of the funniest videos I have seen on YouTube. Well, that and the guy on the roof that tied himself to the tree and then his brother cuts the tree down...and the cat that gets caught in the ceiling fan...and ... :ROTFL: