The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recession

PeterA

Sean Reid has written a terrific article on photography and the current recession, which is the unacknowledged 800 pound gorilla in the room, particularly for this forum.

See http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/

Highly recommended.
What makes you think economic circumstances have been " unacknowledged" in this forum?

btw - your link does not link to an article - just the start page for subscription - no thanks I do my own testing.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually we started a thread on this awhile back, already ahead of the game. Seriously though I have been a Pro for 34 years and i don't need to read about it, it is a daily occurrence with clients canceling , postponing , hiring someone cheaper, out of budget money, stretch the bill to next fiscal year, bad checks , no checks, hide under a rock , shoot there own. You name it I have seen or lived it. Certainly not going to pay to relive it either. Like to forget it if at all possible. ROTFLMAO

BTW good news landed 4 jobs today before the end of the year to get the billing in before hand. Just invoiced the clients and not shot them yet. Bad news like anything else gone before i even cash the check. Forget the 800 pound Gorilla he is a weak link working on the 1600 pound type.

helenhill

Well I do agree with Woody....it was an interesting article
and as usual Sean spins a Poetic edge to the Tale
and some Cool Photos from Frank, Levitt & Others

Had a more Uplifting Spin
than the scare tactics of the News Media

I rather ENJOYED it
in particular fancying & being Mesmerized by the Beauty of Film

Best to All- H

Hauxon

You say recession, but what's happening in th US is a walk in the park compared to little Iceland. On top of the world wide recession we had all of our banks collapsing. The currency (icelandic krona) is now valued less than half of year ago. To put things in perspective think of the Mamiya 28mm for $10.000, the new DL28 kit at $30.000, the Nikon D3x $16.000 USD!!! This simply sucks.

woodyspedden

What makes you think economic circumstances have been " unacknowledged" in this forum?

btw - your link does not link to an article - just the start page for subscription - no thanks I do my own testing.
Peter

Sean Reid is so much more than an equipment reviewer. At least 10 of the essays on his site have little to nothing to do with equipment! He is first and foremost a great photographer and a very thoughtful and erudite person.

Now in addition to that he is an excellent equipment reviewer. What makes his reviews special is that, like you, he bases his evaluations strictly on real world images and compares the equipment he is reviewing with those images to other equipment he has also reviewed. He doesn't try to stuff his opinions down your throat but gives you the data on which to draw your own conclusions.

You may want to take a look sometime just to see how different he is from other "reviewers."

Woody

Chris C

I'm in the Uk, and where I am photography has been in recession for a few years. Recession is not news for me. I don't know of any photographer surviving well, or any remaining photographer not considering whether they could do anything other than photography and get the hell out. Photography in my home city doesn't function as a profession, it is barely a 'trade' which everybody thinks they could do given the 'right' camera and photography economics stopped making sense a long time ago.

Tragically perhaps; I'm still besotted by the medium.

............. Chris

PeterA

Peter

Sean Reid is so much more than an equipment reviewer. At least 10 of the essays on his site have little to nothing to do with equipment! He is first and foremost a great photographer and a very thoughtful and erudite person.

Now in addition to that he is an excellent equipment reviewer. What makes his reviews special is that, like you, he bases his evaluations strictly on real world images and compares the equipment he is reviewing with those images to other equipment he has also reviewed. He doesn't try to stuff his opinions down your throat but gives you the data on which to draw your own conclusions.

You may want to take a look sometime just to see how different he is from other "reviewers."

Woody
Woody - I am sure that Sean does a fantastic job of work - he has a dedicated base of subscribers to prove it. Personally I dont know about his photography or his writing I am sure if you say it is good then it is good.

I was just agitated following a link to an article that is subject to subscription is all - not making a comment on the value or otherwise of Sean's site.

Regarding 'opinion' in general - most stuff I read is self congratulatory and or biased - the worst cases being pre sale rev ups....seen it once too often..

( cynical huh ) :D

Anyway that is why I go through the slow process of testing everything myself. That way I can only blame myself.:ROTFL:

Also I am loathe to offer my opinion about gear - as everyone has a different view of the world and different needs. One persons 'fantastic' lens is another person's 'dog' - I have no interest in MTF charts and all that pseudo science either.

the typical vocabulary of lens review is subjective bias dressed up as empirics - useful in controlled environments - pertinent to a tiny fraction of real world useage.

Cheers
Pete

Terry

Woody - I am sure that Sean does a fantastic job of work - he has a dedicated base of subscribers to prove it. Personally I dont know about his photography or his writing I am sure if you say it is good then it is good.

I was just agitated following a link to an article that is subject to subscription is all - not making a comment on the value or otherwise of Sean's site.

Regarding 'opinion' in general - most stuff I read is self congratulatory and or biased - the worst cases being pre sale rev ups....seen it once too often..

( cynical huh ) :D

Anyway that is why I go through the slow process of testing everything myself. That way I can only blame myself.:ROTFL:

Also I am loathe to offer my opinion about gear - as everyone has a different view of the world and different needs. One persons 'fantastic' lens is another person's 'dog' - I have no interest in MTF charts and all that pseudo science either.

the typical vocabulary of lens review is subjective bias dressed up as empirics - useful in controlled environments - pertinent to a tiny fraction of real world useage.

Cheers
Pete
Actually, the interesting part about Sean's reviews is that he doesn't opine much on equipment. For example, on a lens test his style is to show the results he gets from each lens, discuss the output and then let the reader decide what works best for themselves. For instance when you look at a review of Zeiss, Leica and CV lenses side by side and you see the difference in contrast, corner sharpness, etc. you can then decide for yourself what is best for your style.

Paratom

I am also a subscriber of Seans Site and like to read his reviews.
However I have to say that I do not allways share the opinion regarding the results. IMO its dangerous to shoot some images and make conclusion from the results about the lens in general from so few images.
Even if you do focus bracketting and stuff like that there is allways room for misleading input factors.
However I have to say that I find Seans reviews the most complete, and he does not only show some images to proove sharpness and detail, but also gives an opinion regarding general usabilizy of a lens.
:sleep006: now I have to go and get some sleep.
Cheers, Tom