The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod Policies, your thoughts!

pophoto

Hey guys,

I always wanted to know if you are NOT allowed a tripod, are you allowed a Monopod? I feel if I were an organization, I might have mixed feelings about this:
Examples are like in Museums:

1) Allow: Because it's NOT a tripod.

or

2) Disallow: You're pushing it sonny! (You know what I mean!)

What's your experience?

Thanks
Po

V

Vivek

If there is no tripod allowed policy anywhere then do not push it. ;)

Get a RX-1. Problem solved. :)

V

Vivek

Well, i see the problem is more complicated. How about using the RX-1? :D

Come on , you have answered your own question.

Novoflex made a tetrapod which is not a tripod..

Semantics won't help your cause.

Shashin

It really is not a simple answer. I have been in situations, events and such that tripod were not allowed, but used a monopod. Sometimes I feel it is not appropriate when there is only a tripod warning. One thing is sure, if they don't like it, they will ask you to put it away, and then smile and comply--I would not argue. There are belt pockets you can put a collapsed monopod in to steady the camera, and that might be a less conspicuous solution. I guess if I think the warning is there to prevent obstructions to people walking, then I might use it, it I feel it is to limit photography, then I don't use a monopod. It is purely a gut reaction.

D&A

I agree that these sorts of rules are often for the protection of other individual or patrons of the venue, where tripods might cause injury due to unsuspecting indivudals tripping over one of the legs. Depending on location, if tripods were allowed, they'd be scattered all over the place by others.

With that said, I've been in situations where although it's specifically stated that monopods are allowed but not monopods, I've gotten away with using the Bogen (Manfretto) monopod that has the those three tiny tripod like supports that project out of it's base for stability. I forgot for the moment the name of the model but this monopod has made all the difference with regards to shooting with both long focal length lenses as well as macro's.

Lastly, years ago there was a Gitzo model of a monopod that converted t a form of chect pod which worked reasonably well with lenses that weren't too large or heavy in physical size.

Of course one could always call over one of the security people working at the venue and ask to borrow their shoulder! :ROTFL:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Tripod Policies, your thoughts !

I think the simple solution is to actually ask for permission to use a monopod or a tabletop tripod, in that way I get a clear answer.
Otherwise, I put my left hand on my right shoulder and place the camera on top of my left shoulder / upper arm, it works much more solid than just trying to stabilize the camera with both hands.
Or if you have a not inconsiderable belly, you can use the belly to support the tabletop tripod. I shall respectfully refrain from illustrating this .-)

©lick for native size

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 1/60 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.4