Site Sponsors

Thread: 7200rpm usb powered 2TB HD?

Post Thanks / Like

7200rpm usb powered 2TB HD?

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, so MODs feel free to move it.

I was looking into buying a western digital 2tb HD but then Ive read theyre 5400rpm. Is there a 7200rpm usb powered 2TB HD out there that you guys may suggest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 7200rpm usb powered 2TB HD?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont mind using small laptop HDs as long as theyre not 5400rpm. I have a USB 3 port available and I would really prefer if the Hd could be powered by the laptop instead of adding more cables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What will you be using it for? For, say storing image files on the go, most writing and reading would be sequential anyway, and for this the difference in rpm would be less important. For the system files, the LR database, or PS scratch file, it would be critical.

Cant recall seeing any USB powered 7200 drives; they usually require extra power units. Dont think the juice from the USB is enough.

With my Mac Mini, I have all images and all videos on external USB3 drives, 5400 USB powered ones. Never any problems with speed (system, apps, and LR database and previews are on an internal SSD).