The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

War Photography

GaryAyala

The LA Times, (April 21), has a rather extensive article on War Photography. Much different than I expected, more of War Photography 101, an intelectual examination, comparisons and contrasts between art (paintings) and photography. Some interesting quotes:

"George Bernard Shaw said he would willingly exchange every painting of the crucified Christ for a single snapshop of him on the cross."

Something to ponder ...

James Salter, at the beginning of his new novel, "All That Is", writes "Everything, writes Salter, was happening at two speeds, 'the desperate haste of action and also at a lesser speed, that of fate.'"

This is so true, in combat everything, but you, is moving in fast motion and your heart is pounding out of your chest in a destrate attempt to catch up.

The article is titled "The shutter speed of fate".

Interesting reading.

Gary

Shashin

Gary, do you have a link?

I was just listening to an interview about the making of this documentary of a war photographer last Friday:

HBO: Documentaries | Which Way Is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington | Home

I have an admiration for the folks that do this kind of stuff. But it is not something I could do. I think I would have a hard time living with the experience. But the director described that during combat there is almost a real disconnect of the event; afterwards though, the whole thing comes back including the physical response.

Abnilo

Is it really a true thing???????? i just can't believe and either i never listen about it ever.