The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the point?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I've read this thread with real interest. Lots of good opinions. And I've contemplated several replies. One of which was to make a comparison between fly fishing and photography since there are at least as many books, gear heads, and opinions regarding the "art" of fly fishing as there are concerning photography. And it's another endeavor that seems to beg the question "why?" Also, since I'm all about catch and release, "what's the point?" is frequently asked.

But the heck with that. It's New Years Eve and right this minute photography feels like a ride on a fast horse in the moonlit desert. Or the smell of hot tar and gasoline as you ride past the beach on your Triumph motorcycle. A handful of your lover's hair as you approach the entrance to the Magic Kingdom. The wonderful taste of fine whisky or the salty surprise of a fresh Oyster. Beethoven, Etta James, Def Leppard. For some it's a single note in a grand symphony--for the more gifted, maybe a full measure or even an entire movement. Whatever it means to you needs no justification or defense. It's another fantastic element in a universe of life experience. Why? What's the point? I say, why the hell not.

Happy New Year everyone!
Tim

helenhill

I've read this thread with real interest. Lots of good opinions. And I've contemplated several replies. One of which was to make a comparison between fly fishing and photography since there are at least as many books, gear heads, and opinions regarding the "art" of fly fishing as there are concerning photography. And it's another endeavor that seems to beg the question "why?" Also, since I'm all about catch and release, "what's the point?" is frequently asked.

But the heck with that. It's New Years Eve and right this minute photography feels like a ride on a fast horse in the moonlit desert. Or the smell of hot tar and gasoline as you ride past the beach on your Triumph motorcycle. A handful of your lover's hair as you approach the entrance to the Magic Kingdom. The wonderful taste of fine whisky or the salty surprise of a freshOyster. Beethoven, Etta James, Def Leppard. For some it's a single note in a grand symphony--for the more gifted, maybe a full measure or even an entire movement. Whatever it means to you needs no justification or defense. It's another fantastic element in a universe of life experience. Why? What's the point? I say, why the hell not.

Happy New Year everyone!
Tim
Wonderful Thread & Insightful Posts
BUT At Last some Poetry....
Eric Hill brought in the Magic aspect to this Thread & You the Sublime

May we All be Blessed with Wonder & Good Cheer in 2009 :clap:

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

But the heck with that. It's New Years Eve and right this minute photography feels like a ride on a fast horse in the moonlit desert. Or the smell of hot tar and gasoline as you ride past the beach on your Triumph motorcycle. A handful of your lover's hair as you approach the entrance to the Magic Kingdom. The wonderful taste of fine whisky or the salty surprise of a fresh Oyster. Beethoven, Etta James, Def Leppard. For some it's a single note in a grand symphony--for the more gifted, maybe a full measure or even an entire movement. Whatever it means to you needs no justification or defense. It's another fantastic element in a universe of life experience. Why? What's the point? I say, why the hell not.

Happy New Year everyone!
Tim

Started celebrating the new year a little bit early, did you, Tim? :D

Hey, happy new years to you, too, and to everyone. :thumbs:

jonoslack

The only way you can satisfy your own internal 'artist' is to work for that 'artist', and only that 'artist', without regard for the consequences of critics or the bias of seeking someone else's approval that precedes any expectation or anticipation of showing your work. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with anyone's "duty".
I wasn't for a second talking about 'approval' or any expectation of it, simply that if it's designed to communicate, then it needs to - even if it really bugs people.

Still, I know your argument and obviously we'll have to agree to differ . . a good thing to do on the first day of a new year, and in the light of Tim's excellent post!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

And no, I still haven't touched oils. :D
Quite right too.

N

nei1

Happy new year to everyone,how lucky we are to be able to talk and disagree without fear,......whatever youre on Tim send it out ,express;blanket coverage!......Neil.
p.s.Id like a small file of the antidote though please.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree, I love the different opinions we all have and still can buy each other a drink at the pub. You wonder why i love this place and this is it. Happy New Year folks. May we all be happy, healthy and prosper in 09. I know i could use it on all counts.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Agree, I love the different opinions we all have and still can buy each other a drink at the pub. You wonder why i love this place and this is it. Happy New Year folks. May we all be happy, healthy and prosper in 09. I know i could use it on all counts.
I'll join you on that count, happy new year Ladies and Gents!

....Hoping that human rights and peace may prevail, long over due.... may be that's the point!

Best wishes from Ireland
Georg

O

Oxide Blu

I wasn't for a second talking about 'approval' or any expectation of it, simply that if it's designed to communicate, then it needs to - even if it really bugs people.

You missed my point; irrespective of any "design to communicate", nothing needs to be displayed, and any anticipation of display comes with the unavoidable bias from the weight of expected criticism.

Except for her first published poem, the only stuff that Emily Dickinson "displayed" (published) was what she was coerced into putting out there. The overwhelming bulk of her poetry was discovered in a drawer after she died. She wrote nearly 2000 poems, and the number of those that were published could be counted on both or your hands. In her time there was a demand for her poetry, but she felt no need to publish it.

If you (anyone) feels the need to display their works, then by all means, display it. But don't lose sight of the communicator's obligation to communicate clearly. And in that regard, art (photography) is probably not the best way to 'communicate' anything. (Hint: this thread is using text, not pictures, to communicate.)

I think most displayed art is about either the pursuit of financial gains or the inner need for external approval. Any claim of "communication" is BS frosting to encourage the opening of wallets or an attempt to influence a more positive critique.

Do we still disagree?

jonoslack

You missed my point; irrespective of any "design to communicate", nothing needs to be displayed, and any anticipation of display comes with the unavoidable bias from the weight of expected criticism.

Except for her first published poem, the only stuff that Emily Dickinson "displayed" (published) was what she was coerced into putting out there. The overwhelming bulk of her poetry was discovered in a drawer after she died. She wrote nearly 2000 poems, and the number of those that were published could be counted on both or your hands. In her time there was a demand for her poetry, but she felt no need to publish it.

If you (anyone) feels the need to display their works, then by all means, display it. But don't lose sight of the communicator's obligation to communicate clearly. And in that regard, art (photography) is probably not the best way to 'communicate' anything. (Hint: this thread is using text, not pictures, to communicate.)

I think most displayed art is about either the pursuit of financial gains or the inner need for external approval. Any claim of "communication" is BS frosting to encourage the opening of wallets or an attempt to influence a more positive critique.

Do we still disagree?
Absolutely!
I think I disagree with every word of this.

As for the Emily Dickinson reference, the point, surely is that until they were found, the poems may as well have stayed in her head (as per the picasso quote from Marc:)
"A picture kept in the closet, might as well be kept in the head.".
Mind you, I suppose there is a sense in which it refutes the statement in that the picture in the closet may, at least, be found by someone later!

I would never pretend to being an artist myself, but I grew up amongst a community of artists in StIves (Hepworth, Heron, Wallis (died before I arrived), Nicholson, Wynter). They were friends of my parents, and with reference to the above I think:

1. the crux of visual art is that you cannot communicate 'clearly' (i.e. as text), it's about communicating sensation, ambiguity, little edgy feelings, references to previous work etc. all of which couldn't be put into words. (If a picture is only worth 1000 words then use the bloody words!).

2. the 'BS frosting' argument you suggest has been used for years by the 'emperor's new clothes' brigade, it's either a complete refutation of visual art, or else it's not even worth discussing!

Interesting discussion though!
:salute:

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

Yeah, I have so many things to discuss, and so little thing-ability available to me. :D

Let's start bu putting this quote in context, presuming Picasso actually said it:

Picasso as very much about seeking approval of his paintings, and very very much about marketing his product. In his last years he was doing everything he could to exploit his celebrity.

Keep in mind someone that is posturing to expand his audience, then re-visit that quote:

Wouldn't you like to know the context of this Picasso quote:

There are only two types of women - goddesses and doormats.

Oops!

Last edited:
D

ddk

Yeah, I have so many things to discuss, and so little thing-ability available to me. :D

Let's start bu putting this quote in context, presuming Picasso actually said it:

Picasso as very much about seeking approval of his paintings, and very very much about marketing his product. In his last years he was doing everything he could to exploit his celebrity.

Keep in mind someone that is posturing to expand his audience, then re-visit that quote:

I don't see anything wrong with that, why shouldn't he exploit his success and incredible talent? Do you think that art is only created in poverty and humility, or in a vacuum? I for one am grateful to all the talented artists who shared their vision and enriched my life for exploitation, greed, ego or whatever selfish reasons they had, there is so much brilliance created just because there was an audience. Do you think that Beethoven, Chopin or Mozart were posturing when they wrote their masterpieces? Where would Miles be today without an audience? Where would Jazz be without his posturing?

I'm with Jono & Pablo here.

Oops!
Been there done that! Ooops....

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
\

Oops!
Actually, Picasso left several homes full of work which he never showed or sold.

David Douglas Duncan tells of once when he was staying with Picasso one of the rooms was full of canvas covered with dust. DDD started taking them into the hall and cleaning the dust off. Picasso came by and said, "No, no David, leave them in there the dust is good for them."

fotografz

Oops!
You speak as if what you say is fact, rather than opinion.

Exploit what? He was already the most famous artist in the world. He was also extraordinarily wealthy. In his later years he tended to close himself off from celebrity as being a waste of what time he had left ... and he didn't seek the approval of anyone, people hounded him for his approval. The guy was already immortal while still alive ... LOL!

Artists like Picasso are "celebrated" but are hardly "celebrities" in the modern sense of the word. He helped revolutionize how thinking people see. Architecture, Design, all forms of visual thinking were forever changed by the time/space work of a few visual philosophers like Picasso.

Read David Hockney's take on Picasso ... it's enlightening.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with keeping your work private and doing it for the sake of self awareness or whatever reason you may have.

In fact, it's too bad that more people don't do that ;)

jonoslack

Oops!
Hmmm - surely the beauty of pithy quotes is that one doesn't know the context. It's rather like wanting to have a joke carefully explained by the teller.

I'm not sure that one would want to take either very seriously - but they're certainly memorable.

As for the rest? No need to cover the ground again I think.