The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

This is why your pictures suck

JimCollum

I don't know why.. this made me smile.

This is Why Your Pictures Suck - The Phoblographer

One of the most important things you can do is find someone who really is brutally honest with you about your work.

(if all you're ever getting are comments like "Nice", " Beautiful", "Great capture", without any "Why would you do that?" or "Hasn't that been done to death?" or just plain "That's really really bad".. then you haven't found that honest friend yet)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well,
I have a pretty good idea why my pictures suck. It is because they do.
Most of the time though the buyer, when there is one, disagrees.
-bob

Shashin

I love how he asks for donations at the bottom.

Lets face it, most do photography for fun. Its a pastime. It is like military reenactments--No, I have never been to war, but I play a soldier on the weekend. It is a bit disingenuous for the photoblogger to try to make a living by feeding the addiction and then blasting his clientele.

JimCollum

i found the link right after a barrage of requests from quite a few photographers to go vote for their images in contests.. oh.. and you can do it from both your laptop and your smart phone, since they track the ip addresses of votes.

One of the area's best photographers (based on votes from various entertainment newspapers in the area), has a massive email campaign every year to 'go vote for me as the best' They then sign their work & resume as a Master Photographer (capitals important)

Those requests, in conjunction with the dismissal of the Sun Times photography staff, hit a nerve.. and that link sort of summed some things up.

JimCollum

it's all fun and games... until you show up in Kabul, rifle in hand, wanting to play :)

I love how he asks for donations at the bottom.

Lets face it, most do photography for fun. Its a pastime. It is like military reenactments--No, I have never been to war, but I play a soldier on the weekend. It is a bit disingenuous for the photoblogger to try to make a living by feeding the addiction and then blasting his clientele.

Shashin

i found the link right after a barrage of requests from quite a few photographers to go vote for their images in contests.. oh.. and you can do it from both your laptop and your smart phone, since they track the ip addresses of votes.

One of the area's best photographers (based on votes from various entertainment newspapers in the area), has a massive email campaign every year to 'go vote for me as the best' They then sign their work & resume as a Master Photographer (capitals important)

Those requests, in conjunction with the dismissal of the Sun Times photography staff, hit a nerve.. and that link sort of summed some things up.
It is not easy to hone your craft. It is always the case that those outside a field don't understand the complexities and skills involved for the folks working in a field.

The Sun Times firings are just a symptom of what has been happening in the news and publishing industry for a long time. It is also a reflection of what society wants and values. The Sun Times did not fire those folks because they were rolling in money--and the publishers are entirely to blame. Unfortunately, it is the creative workers that get shafted. But likewise, I think there as some good opportunities today for these people to take more control over their work.

Ben Rubinstein

My wife has a great way of telling me when stuff doesn't work in a non patronising way. She's always right pretty much. My best critic.

Mike M

My experience is that there are two primary factors that all bad photographers have in common...

1) They didn't dedicate their life to photography.
No man can "serve two masters" because he will inevitably love the one and despise the other. The arts do not suffer mistresses well. A photographer's "first love" must be his photography. People that try to balance their art with a day job risk the wrath of a jealous lover. The result is always the creation of work that sucks.

2) Their work is based on convention instead of self-expression.
There are a lot of photographers that fulfill the requirement of #1 and yet still consistently create bad work. They may be financially successful commercial photographers, photo-bloggers, workshop teachers or photojournalists etc. However, they've still never gotten beyond mediocre. In the arts, "good is the enemy of great" so being mediocre is just another way of saying "you suck." The reason that they are mediocre is because their work is based on convention instead of self-expression.

Convention is the opposite of originality because it can always be categorized according to a pre-existing formula. Landscape, portrait, fashion, sports etc are the conventions of photography. From the very beginning, any photographer that pursues these categories is embarking on a path that has already been taken before. He is creating work that is easily recognized and pre-judged according to the patterns that define genres. This approach may speak well to the "tribe" and even lead to financial success, but it does not speak well to the individual. Only an individual can recognize and relate well with other individuals. Art is an individual and she demands that her lover be an individual too. She will only reward those photographers that have the courage to suffer the risks of failure and alienation by peers that is required for the creation of the individual path to self-expression.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Mike, That post is in a different level altogether. Lots to think about.

Thanks!:)

JimCollum

That post deserves it's own thread.. an excellent, meaningful response... and as said.. gives a lot to think about (as opposed to the kvetching that I posted ).

That deserves to be read by a lot more than would just browse this thread.

Mike, That post is in a different level altogether. Lots to think about.

Thanks!:)