The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

9 years and still...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The interview with Tomohisa Ikeno about the thoughts behind the F6 is still as valid as they were in 2004, when the camera was launched. It's interesting reading, since it answers many of the questions around film vs. digital, film cameras in general and the F6 in particular that are discussed every day on photography and camera forums around the world.

Since I have the F6, and use it almost daily, I can confirm that all he says still holds water. That's impressive in a market where digital camera models are becoming "obsolete" within a couple of years. I have tried every single Nikon pro model since the F6, and I can safely say that none better the ergonomics of their film brother.

Food for thought in a world that is spinning increasingly fast.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Behind the scenes - Nikon F6

fultonpics

the customers i serve want images from the event i am covering as soon as it happens. my D4 along with my apple mac allow me to get those images on the wire as fast as my competitors can. when the event is over, 30-40 images have been sent, fully captioned, i pack up and go home to a beer. no waiting for film, the ability to 'shoot' through problems such as lighting, poor focusing, etc are solved with the volume of the shoot. I re-format / use the same card on the next job. no out of pocket.

in the future, my job will be replaced with direct still feeds taken off the high resolution video cameras that provide the event's video needs. my D6, or whatever is the latest nikon digital camera at that point, will end up in the closet next to the F6. i'll find something else to do. until then, i'll enjoy the bad coffee in the press room and seeing my pics run on the web and even a newspaper.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would also have problems using the F6 for work, although I do sometimes... as the third or fourth camera. I'm not sure if I agree that all photos can be replaced by video captures. Although it will be technically possible, videographers tend to look for different things than photographers. The capture a timeline while photographers capture a moment. Many moments can't be found along what makes the most interesting timelines. Pan shots at long shutter speeds are good examples.

PeterA

B&W was the last 'frontier' for me - I still shoot film because I love my XPan - but my Leica monochrome has put the M3/MP and even my blad to the cupboard for good I am afraid..:eek:

Please someone a digital XPan with a monochrome and colour version...please!