The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leicaflex SL Foo

Godfrey

Both cameras have arrived.
Four of the five lenses have arrived.

Just handling this gear, I am delighted. Solid, heavy but beautifully balanced, simple and ergonomic controls, quiet and smooth for an SLR of the period ... nothing to get in the way of seeing the subject and releasing the shutter at the right time.

The R lenses are an investment in the future. They're what I'll use for the tele end when I acquire a new M at some point, when it is more available and the money tree is blooming. They are beautiful lenses, built like few others.

The Leicaflex SL body reminds me so much of the Olympus E-1, or is it the other way around? At any rate, they're two of the best SLR bodies I've ever had the pleasure to use. They feel right: solid and business-like, not just big and heavy. Just ordered a mount adapter for the lenses to I can use them on the E-1 too.

I am going to enjoy these cameras and lenses a lot. For a long time. :)

G

vickko

To match your 'flex fever, I have three bodies coming. And still learning lots from my "teaching cadaver". The "B" setting mostly doesn't work, unless I trick it, but most other functions work. And I got the shutter dial now, so that I don't have to use a pair of pliers to change the shutter speed.
...Vick

Godfrey

The whole kit is here now, here's a family portrait of the Leicaflex SL kit I've acquired:

Left to Right:
Leicaflex SL black chrome fitted with Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8
Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8
Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
Summicron-R 90mm f/2
Leicaflex SL chrome fitted with Summicron-R 50mm f/2

Of course, I have all the original Leica caps, hoods, and series filter holders for the lenses. The family portrait just became too cluttered with all that stuff. :)

G

Gbealnz

Congrats Godfrey, nice looking kit.
I too have the black SL, and a chrome one, (although I am selling the chrome).
Lenses though are stunning huh? I've ended up with wider rather then tele like you, 21/35/50/100, plus the Vario zoom (which is for sale with the SL currently).
Nice solid feel though, I agree, nice family shot. Very under-rated cameras and lenses.
Gary

Godfrey

Thanks!

I went for normal to tele because I have all the wide to normal options I need for the M already. The interest in this kit for me is partly to enjoy shooting some film with the 'flexes but more importantly to have these lenses for use with an M240 body as well. I'm also getting an adapter so I can use them with my Olympus E-1, where they become very long lenses. :)

G