Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Desert Island Cameras

  1. #1
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Desert Island Cameras

    So, when push comes to shove, if you only had one camera (system) what would it be?

    I find it quite disturbing that whenever I choose to shoot with my favorite camera system that the first ones that come to mind are my XPan II and Fuji G617. Now I love shooting them but hate processing and scanning the film files. However, when it comes to pure enjoyment of shooting, these two are at the top of my list.

    I am fortunate to have a collection of superb camera systems and when it comes to digital I do find that I reach for the Alpa & IQ160, although it's a little disturbing that I also enjoy using the P25+ almost as much as the IQ160. That's primarily due to the ability to shoot long exposures so I'm hoping that my soon to arrive IQ260 will address the balance. The Alpa ... yes it has a definite mojo but I confess that I like my XPan II a little more!

    I also shoot a myriad of smaller systems including the D600, Fuji X100s, X-Pro1, X-E1. These all seem to fall in to the same bucket of being very very competent but ultimately not exciting. The Fuji systems at least have some mojo -- the X-Pro1 and X100s in particular are the first ones that I reach for when I want to shoot practical digital for travel or home use. Technically the D600 blows them all away but ... no mojo. I had a D800 before and it had even less.

    So, what's your story? Despite all the technical glory of the current systems do you find yourself attracted to the qualities of other less 'capable' gear but that's more pleasurable to use?

    Or, maybe it's just me ...

    (Btw, I just realized that I spot a trend - all the cameras I most enjoy, other than the Alpa, are all from Fuji!)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Easy, Mamiya 7. (paired with a flextight x1) Those things have to go together because if you are bothering with film you really want to see what you get and if you want to print big its a must have. If you only printed to 11x14 an epson would do, and they're dead simple.

    Rangefinders in general would go to the top of my list of desert island cameras, they have the ability to let you take pictures you don't know you don't know how to take. SLR's give you the sexy viewfinder and like digital or mirrorless they tend to hew you to make pictures you know are "good". So to my mind you never really find out what "your" pictures might be.

    If I was feeling impressionistic then M6 and 28,35,50. or 28,50,90.

    But definitely film based. I'd like my memories to be on film.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Based on past experience, if I could only have one camera, it would be:

    Mamiya 6
    Horseman SW612
    Pentax 645D
    RX-1
    Widelux F8

    I think I could live with that one...
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Personally, automation has never been a deciding factor in my choice of camera. The most important factors for me has been format, camera type, and whether it has a normal lens. And when I mean format, I mean aspect ratio. That has been one disappointment in digital, you can get any format you like as long as it is 3:2 for 4:3. However, I really like the flexibility of stitching in digital--any camera can be two in one (single frame or pano).

  5. #5
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Ah yes, the Mamiya 6/7 ... that's another one with mojo. I've had three Mamiya 7's over the years and sold them at various times. A very satisfying camera to use and great lenses too, even if the hyper-focal settings were a tad optimistic (I'd always pick 1-2 stops down for hyperfocals with the Mamiya).

    My Leica MP very nearly made the mark too. In the end though the 3 lens XPan II has won out for me and I just don't feel the love these days, but I certainly do understand those that do.

    Another for me was the Nikon D3s. The closest thing to the uber Nikon that I've ever owned. Any place, any time, any light, any lens. It just can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Based on past experience, if I could only have one camera, it would be:

    Mamiya 6
    Horseman SW612
    Pentax 645D
    RX-1
    Widelux F8

    I think I could live with that one...
    Oh yes, the Mamyhorsetaxonylux ... we know it well
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    No mirrorless, no compact but D700 + F6, at least if I'm going to look at the practical sides. Change to an unpractical choice and it would be the GX680, digital plus film. If I could choose among cameras that I don't own, a Hy6 with digital and 6x6 film backs.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    I thought really hard about it. Tough to give up so many different cameras. My choice is the Leica M3.

    Not based on performance, but on the fact that a large part of my enjoyment of photography is the lovely mechanical equipment and optics. M3.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Hard to keep film cool on a desert island, just sayin
    -bob

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Any one of the cameras I own today would do fine. There are too many to enumerate. I'm not specially attached to any, I like 'em all.

    G

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Hard to keep film cool on a desert island, just sayin
    -bob
    A desert is defined by rainfall, not temperature. For example, the Gobi desert, which is very cold. the two largest deserts in the world are the Antarctic Desert and the Arctic Desert. Hard to keep batteries charged in the cold or film from becoming brittle. The bottom line would it would suck to be stranded in a desert.

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Hard to keep film cool on a desert island, just sayin
    -bob
    I think that "desert island" is a colloquialism meaning "deserted island" ... Which makes the weather one might experience there somewhat variable. :-)

    G

  12. #12
    Member GregMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    So, when push comes to shove, if you only had one camera (system) what would it be?

    I find it quite disturbing that whenever I choose to shoot with my favorite camera system that the first ones that come to mind are my XPan II and Fuji G617. Now I love shooting them but hate processing and scanning the film files. However, when it comes to pure enjoyment of shooting, these two are at the top of my list.

    I am fortunate to have a collection of superb camera systems and when it comes to digital I do find that I reach for the Alpa & IQ160, although it's a little disturbing that I also enjoy using the P25+ almost as much as the IQ160. That's primarily due to the ability to shoot long exposures so I'm hoping that my soon to arrive IQ260 will address the balance. The Alpa ... yes it has a definite mojo but I confess that I like my XPan II a little more!

    I also shoot a myriad of smaller systems including the D600, Fuji X100s, X-Pro1, X-E1. These all seem to fall in to the same bucket of being very very competent but ultimately not exciting. The Fuji systems at least have some mojo -- the X-Pro1 and X100s in particular are the first ones that I reach for when I want to shoot practical digital for travel or home use. Technically the D600 blows them all away but ... no mojo. I had a D800 before and it had even less.

    So, what's your story? Despite all the technical glory of the current systems do you find yourself attracted to the qualities of other less 'capable' gear but that's more pleasurable to use?

    Or, maybe it's just me ...

    (Btw, I just realized that I spot a trend - all the cameras I most enjoy, other than the Alpa, are all from Fuji!)

    I would also go with my 617. It gets more use than any other single camera that I own.
    It's a nice blend of film surface area, light weight & can handle some amount of wind without images becoming effected. Not to mention with 120, there are plenty of film options to choose.

  13. #13
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Hard to keep film cool on a desert island, just sayin
    -bob
    In that case, let's go to a dessert island

  14. #14
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Not sure what photo opportunities there are on deserted islands... but it depends on the island I suppose. Still, I think I'd rather have a fire starter steel, a machete, a speargun, a net, and freediving gear than a camera. Assuming it's not some barren rock in Alaska. Oh, and some iodine and cipro tablets wouldn't hurt.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Not sure what photo opportunities there are on deserted islands... but it depends on the island I suppose. Still, I think I'd rather have a fire starter steel, a machete, a speargun, a net, and freediving gear than a camera. Assuming it's not some barren rock in Alaska. Oh, and some iodine and cipro tablets wouldn't hurt.
    So you would let your earthly desires win over Art

  16. #16
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Not sure what photo opportunities there are on deserted islands... but it depends on the island I suppose. Still, I think I'd rather have a fire starter steel, a machete, a speargun, a net, and freediving gear than a camera. Assuming it's not some barren rock in Alaska. Oh, and some iodine and cipro tablets wouldn't hurt.
    Welll of course but then there's the fine art side ...

    Btw see Desert Island Discs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    You're in paradise and can pick just one camera

    Oh, and I'd start with the operatic works of Mozart startng with Don Giovanni, the Magic Flute and The Marriage of Figuro. Starálfur by Sigur Ros, Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols, Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre and just about anything mixed by Armin Van Buren. Oh, and a few other eclectic musical items. A Psychiatrist can probably have a field day based on that!
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 29th July 2013 at 23:29.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    You're in paradise and can pick just one camera
    For many here, that would not be paradise, that would be hell.

    (The masochist says beat me, beat me. The sadist says no.)

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    Interesting topic....

    The way II look at things (which is normally a couple degrees off bubble anyway) is that my back is the camera which attaches to different bodies or "things". If I want to do landscape the first choice is of course (for me) the WRS if I need to run and gun then the body is a DF. The constant is the little black box attached to the rear where the real work is. So my way around the question that I'd have my IQ back. The second part of the equation is the WRS however the hardest part is which lens.



    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  19. #19
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    iPhone so I can take pictures to send that I need food,booze and women.

    Have to get your priorities straight here and if I can get that than don't send a rescue team. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    How about a pinhole camera, then I don't need to take care of the lens from all that sand.
    Then if my camera get damaged the Professor can make another one from coconuts and give it to Gilligan to bring to me.


  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Desert Island Cameras

    A great opportunity to give up photography and experience the island itself.
    There won't be electricity so the gear will be useless any way.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •