The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Paypal surcharge

emr

The norm here and on other forums seems to be that when a sold item is paid using Paypal, the seller demands some 3% added to the sum.

However, as far as I understand (not being a native English speaker), the Paypal user agreement explicitly denies the right to such a practice.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
What do you guys as forum members, moderators and administrators think of this part of the Paypal EULA and how it is breached on a regular basis?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I never ever charge anyone Paypal fees. Reason is its MY CHOICE to sell that way so its up to me to absorb those costs. Exactly the same if asked for credit cards like a restaurant . Same with my square account I use for clients to pay me. It's my responsibility since I'm requesting payment in that form. Secondly I won't buy from anyone charging a Paypal fee either. Now that's me and the way I feel personally.

Okay as a admin. Here we are not going to get involved to that level of buying and selling. It's too much task oriented for our mods. bottom line buyers and sellers are own there own GetDPI just provides a forum for such activities.

stephengilbert

What Guy said, especially where Paypal is the only payment accepted. I think of these prices as misleading. Just multiply by 1.03, and ask for that.

Don Libby

A lot of it comes down to "buyer beware". Like Guy, I never charge a premium for either PP or credit card sales as that's simply a method of doing business. Depending on the item I'll sometimes offer free or discounted shipping.

Thanks for including the PP statement as I was not aware of that condition.

In the end you as a buyer have the choice of accepting the sellers terms, making a counter offer, or simply walking away from the deal. We all have choices.

I also agree with Guys point of view - the fastest way of us loosing the buy/sell is to overburden it.

Don

Shashin

Personally, I think of that as the cost of doing business. Considering that if I listed my stuff in the local newspaper, I think the internet is a much better solution.

I am hesitant to work with a seller that imposes lots of condition, especially when it is only a few percent. If there is a problem, is this an indication of the hassle it might be to fix it?