The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Film "Feel Good" Rant

alajuela

Tough to check a histogram without chimping.
If film cameras had that ability I would have surely used it, but since it is lacking I use a spotmeter or a partially educated guess.
Please remember folks that we expect folks to be courteous.
Violators will be banned at our whim for a cooling-off period or permanently.
-bob
You know I don't know where to begin, so I won't (a good idea sometimes).

I want to make two points, I sincerely enjoy the back and forth of the the members here. Reading getDPI has become part of my daily routine. Everybody comes here I guess for different reasons, I generally like the people and the of course some attitudes I relate to more than others.

To stay within the confirms of this thread - I find the work of Ben - truly inspirational, I really like the expressions and sensation when looking at the shots, truly fine art. Marc - I don't think realizes how much I appreciate his framing and suggestions that he captures (plus I grew up close to where he lives) . Will, - great shots and cuts to the heart of the matter when things go astray, As they say in China, Directly and frankly ;-) - With Jorgen - Is great to hear the trial and tribulations - good natured battering. Godfrey and Dave - always interested in what you have to say. Bob great to have an adult on board - who is fine fine photographer. So we have two facets, the on-line personalities and their work, I am thankful for all.

Second, - I got a P45+ back from CI converted to full spectrum by Phase. So as to be polite and not offend the sensors I will use the " * " . My god I wish I could g***d*** chimp. Since the camera focus off the mirror box, and not the sensor, - the wave length screws up the AF. Also if only like were so simple, as to just use the red dot on the lens -- hahah. So I am concentering on two lenses with the DF+ - 45 and 150 and will make reference points and also see if any changes when using different cut off filters will affect the focus ie. 680nm vs 850mn etc. My god I wish I could g**d*** chimp

I gotta say everytime I see or hear the word chimp - I think Chimp(anzee) - :ROTFL:

Off I am

Phil

Mike M

A Hack (noun) is someone that does know what they are doing
work they hope will cater to the tastes of the masses and provide greater financial reward
The last quote is a pretty good description of work that art directors create for corporate advertising.

The funny thing about the word "hack" is that it isn't very popular with hacks themselves. For this reason, they often need to have it explained to them by others or by consulting dictionary entries etc. Hacks rarely question the fact that popular taste is the source of their financial success. Usually they attribute popularity to the false belief that they possess some kind of amazing artistic talent as individuals. If they have a talent for anything then it's an aptitude for meeting the demands of popular taste. Dwight MacDonald wrote that hacks have a genuine "built-in vulgar touch" that allows them to connect to their mainstream audiences. My experience is that it's pretty rare for a photographer to admit to being a hack because it usually takes some kind of actual artistic ability just to be able to identify one. Also, photographers that intentionally create hack work usually find it more prudent to keep cynically silent in order to avoid insulting the audience that is the source of their profit. In other words, it's very unlikely for a photographer either to know or admit to being a hack.

fotografz

The last quote is a pretty good description of work that art directors create for corporate advertising.

The funny thing about the word "hack" is that it isn't very popular with hacks themselves. For this reason, they often need to have it explained to them by others or by consulting dictionary entries etc. Hacks rarely question the fact that popular taste is the source of their financial success. Usually they attribute popularity to the false belief that they possess some kind of amazing artistic talent as individuals. If they have a talent for anything then it's an aptitude for meeting the demands of popular taste. Dwight MacDonald wrote that hacks have a genuine "built-in vulgar touch" that allows them to connect to their mainstream audiences. My experience is that it's pretty rare for a photographer to admit to being a hack because it usually takes some kind of actual artistic ability just to be able to identify one. Also, photographers that intentionally create hack work usually find it more prudent to keep cynically silent in order to avoid insulting the audience that is the source of their profit. In other words, it's very unlikely for a photographer either to know or admit to being a hack.
:ROTFL:

I'm an Art Director, so let's diss Art Directors to win some competitive point ... how very flat-footed of you :toocool:

However, in a thinly veiled insulting sense, part of what you write is pretty much true.

Like how those Vogue Art Directors whipped Penn and Avedon into shape to sell magazines for a giant publishing corporation. Or how the visual/verbal/creative ethos of the Apple corporation has helped make it the most valuable Brand on the planet.

Of course, the part you conveniently overlook is that there is a difference between selling imagery directly to the public, and creating imagery that influences them. It also leaves out the part where there are sophisticated arbitrators of taste at the receiving end of imagery, commercial or not, that often lead the less involved general public tastes.

What I find interesting about contentious discussions like this is that it is rarely black & white, and there is almost always some kernel of truth lurking there from all participating parties that can be thought provoking and useful. To bad that it has to be wrapped in personal insults which are usually the sign of a weakly presented argument in need of bolstering emotional bluster.

For example, with the advent of popular web based photographic sites, it could be said that a sub-section of Hackneyed work has risen to new heights: pandering to other members of the "photo tribe". I never really thought about it in that way until this discussion.

BTW, good to see that you now are using the term "Hack" correctly. Definitions exist because language is pretty precise, and twisted misuses for the sake of some argument are pretty obvious. ;)

Got to prep for a shoot this morning ... for some money to pay my bills ... like everyone else, unless they were born with a silver spoon on their mouth.

Damned society ... wish they'd subsidize all artists, so we didn't have to hack out a living to feed and house our families :)

- Marc

fotografz

What's Film Bob?

Just kidding.

About a month ago we jettisoned our freezer in the garage and I have at least $1,000 worth of MF film just sitting there now.

What a waste. I didn't even know who to give it to. A lot of it is probably still good since I froze it immediately after buying it ...
but I couldn't guarantee it.

Anyone wants it, just pay for the shipping ...

- Marc

alajuela

Tough to check a histogram without chimping.
If film cameras had that ability I would have surely used it, but since it is lacking I use a spotmeter or a partially educated guess.
Please remember folks that we expect folks to be courteous.
Violators will be banned at our whim for a cooling-off period or permanently.
-bob
What's Film Bob?

Just kidding.

About a month ago we jettisoned our freezer in the garage and I have at least $1,000 worth of MF film just sitting there now.

What a waste. I didn't even know who to give it to. A lot of it is probably still good since I froze it immediately after buying it ...
but I couldn't guarantee it.

Anyone wants it, just pay for the shipping ...

- Marc
Hi Marc

I'll be back in Miami in November, I would like to get some. I'll pay shipping :clap:

GregMO

:ROTFL:

Got to prep for a shoot this morning ... for some money to pay my bills ... like everyone else, unless they were born with a silver spoon on their mouth.

Damned society ... wish they'd subsidize all artists, so we didn't have to hack out a living to feed and house our families :)

- Marc

Exactly. That's why I find the term "hack" to be so amusing. In order to survive & "pay the bills," we have to reach some degree of commercial success.

To each their own, if someone is able to do that shooting weddings or portraits and someone else is able to do it shooting sports and another is shooting scenic/ landscapes then what difference does it make. I think the key issue is, is the photographer truly shooting the type of work they want to be doing? If the answer is yes..good for them. If not, how can they get to that point for themselves.
The reason we all do this is to try and be success/ happy and not work some "job" we can't stand like most people out there.

Last edited: