The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sobering up – Second Hand Gadget Geek

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There are so many great cameras being launched more or less every month these days, that even staying on the latest, greatest within the system of choice is a challenge. The old model still has a newish smell when the successor is announced. Most of us obviously don't buy every new model that are announced since there's simply no need. But it's tempting sometimes. The big neon sign with "Worthwhile Upgrade" keeps flashing over each shiny, new photographic gadget, and with money to spend, it's easy to say "Why not?".

My plan this autumn has been to buy an E-M1, indeed a great camera. 9 months ago, it was the GH3, which I postponed for no other reason than the fact that I didn't really need another camera. Now, I've postponed the Olympus and bought the Panasonic. The hardly used GH3 cost me 40% less than it would have in January, and there's still 18 months left of the warranty.

Most of my other cameras are bought second hand as well, and I consider turning it into a principle. I'm tempted by the A7r, since it's smaller, lighter and in many ways more versatile than the Nikon bodies that it would replace. But it will be smaller, lighter and more versatile in 1 year and 2 years too. And maybe I find then that I didn't need it anyway. On the rare occasion when I need 36MP or more, I can always stitch. Or use medium format film. Or large format even.

Apart from saving money and apart from the fact that many of us hardly ever own a camera long enough to wear it out nowadays, there is also an environmental side to this. Electronic junk is a massive problem and many cameras contain materials that are in limited supply. Actually all materials are in limited supply, although some more than others on this tiny earth.

Me buying fewer new cameras won't save the world of course, but it's a good principle: Re-use rather than consume. And I like old cameras. I hardly ever sell one, but sometimes give one away if there's someone crossing my path who has the needs but not the means.

Now, with all the monies I'll save on this principle, what lenses should I spend them on? :ROTFL:
The new Nikkor 58mm seems tempting :chug:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bodies are disposable. Lenses can last a lifetime but the core problem is one lens is never enough and many not good enough to last a lifetime. Lol

V

Vivek

Jorgen, folks like you(with the stated intentions on new bodies that is)are an integral part of this upgrade a year business! If someone upgrades and sells his/her old equipment, there has to be a market for it. So, 2nd hand buyers are absolutely essential.

The current cycle sort of goes like this:

Rumor sites whip up the frenzy (reviews and review sites have become irrelevant!) -> Preorder buttons are up. -> things are bought -> new rumors start.........

Photography? Huh?, what is that?!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, folks like you(with the stated intentions on new bodies that is)are an integral part of this upgrade a year business! If someone upgrades and sells his/her old equipment, there has to be a market for it. So, 2nd hand buyers are absolutely essential.

The current cycle sort of goes like this:

Rumor sites whip up the frenzy (reviews and review sites have become irrelevant!) -> Preorder buttons are up. -> things are bought -> new rumors start.........

Photography? Huh?, what is that?!
Still, many cameras are never sold second hand, but end up unused in some drawer or box. Nothing new there. It's still possible to buy virtually unused cameras from the seventies and eighties, but there are so many more cameras and other gadgets sold now, plus the fact that standards for batteries, memory cards etc. will change, making these cameras obsolete within a decade or two. The need for second hand buyers is thus much larger.

I don't think the industry care much about the second hand market, particularly not the likes of Sony and Panasonic. Where yesterday's product end up seems to be their smallest worry, as long as they can keep the steam up and sell us new, sensational junk each new season.

Tim

Still, many cameras are never sold second hand, but end up unused in some drawer or box.
That is true. Some people even buy spares of a certain model. I have one friend who has a couple of spare Canon G9 in case he could no longer get one. I have a few keepers but I also have some I've just not bothered to sell.

There is some sense to stay off the bleeding edge, staying one notch back buying last years must have camera at a bargain price. If you were doing this you'd be looking at maybe a EM-5, NEX6 or 7 perhaps, X100 or similar.