The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here in the US it is Thanksgiving Day, a day set aside to give thanks. Mostly it is a time to enjoy relaxing with family, watching American football, drinking a little and eating a lot. Turkey is the traditional main course and here in sunny California it is common to Bar-B-Que them. So with iPhone in hand, I give you

The Start, 10:15:

(The wood is Mesquite, commonly used for adding a mild smoke flavor.)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Pecan here in the south but I do love the mild flavor Mesquite adds....

Almost looks like you have a variant of the smokenator.....

Should be a wonderful addition to the table....nothing like smoked bird and a
dry white or mild red!

It is nice to have a day to reflect on all we have to be thankful for...and the GETDPI community is on my list.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob! That's just the larger 25" "Ranch" Webber. I line the sides with bricks to level out the heat, and use baskets to keep the heat indirect. I like Pecan a lot, but it's tough to find it out here. Mesquite is readily available and lighter flavor than Oak or Hickory.

Here it is at the 1-1/2 hr mark, nice smoke crust on it:

docmoore

Looks Fabulous!

Thursday is a perfect day for Thanksgiving as it allows for a long relaxing weekend...at least it does when one of my partners is on call.:ROTFL:

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here we are at the halftime flip. I do this to protect the breast from getting too dark and it allows the cavity juices to self baste the breast from the inside. It also allows the dark meat to cook more thoroughly and even out the browning.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And after it's all done. Fall off the bone tender, breast meat remained juicy, total hit delicious.

Wishing everybody a happy beginning of the holiday season and great holiday experiences!

Shashin

Here are our turkeys. As you can see by their position under our bird feeders, they are stuffed.

docmoore

And after it's all done. Fall off the bone tender, breast meat remained juicy, total hit delicious.

Wishing everybody a happy beginning of the holiday season and great holiday experiences!

Hope you had a nice single malt to follow this up....

Looks wonderful...I am sure it was a hit.

Bob

fotografz

Happy Day After Thanksgiving belly ache to all ... :)

The house is all a twitter with the Holiday hubbubbry. Out comes all the Christmas decorations ... boxes and boxes of them strewn all over the place.

Snow on the ground. Sleepy eyed family ambling down from guest rooms to the smell of breakfast. Fussing with tangled lights for the tree. Turkey sandwiches on artisan breads. "Love Actually" on the TV as the ornaments collected over decades of travel are carefully hung. A deer comes to the window to see what is going on. Little doggies snuggled in on Grandma's lap dreaming of the huge chicken on the kitchen counter.

Sigh ... much to be thankful for.

Happy Holidays to all the great friends and acquaintances here on Get Dpi that celebrate at this time of year ... peace and good fortune to those who do not.

- Marc