The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 arrived ...

Godfrey

This isn't really a Sony topic, or an Olympus topic, or a Hasselblad topic, etc. Didn't know where else to put it so here we are in the Sunset Bar.

The Arca-Swiss P0 and RRS B2-LR-II clamp arrived yesterday. I assembled them onto my Manfrotto legs and tried it out with the A7 and Elmarit-R 180/2.8 lens (1.3 kg lens, with its own, fixed tripod mount) flopped over on its side for portrait orientation. Solid as a rock!

The locking flipper for the pan movement doesn't need to turn more than 30 degrees or so from tightly locked to moving freely and smoothly, so it has the full 360° of movement without any interference.
Here are two quickie shots of the head with the pan locked and unlocked ...

pan locked

pan unlocked

I then fitted the Olympus E-M1 with ZD 50-200 + EC14, spun it out to 280mm telephoto, and did some test shots at 1 to 3 seconds. Easy to position, easy to lock, absolutely rock steady.

To position the camera, I put my right hand on the camera and my left on the head. Twist the locking ring to the right to unlock the ball and the camera now moves smoothly, with both hands controlling the movement. It never tries to flop over on its side due to the elliptical ball! Get the framing positioned correctly and twist the locking ring to the left: locked down solid with no movement at all. And that's with a 3 lb plus camera/lens assembly on it.

The P0 operates very smoothly and the elliptical ball is genius. I'm going to like this very much.

Now ... to find time to take it out for a shooting session! :-\

G

alajuela

This isn't really a Sony topic, or an Olympus topic, or a Hasselblad topic, etc. Didn't know where else to put it so here we are in the Sunset Bar.

The Arca-Swiss P0 and RRS B2-LR-II clamp arrived yesterday. I assembled them onto my Manfrotto legs and tried it out with the A7 and Elmarit-R 180/2.8 lens (1.3 kg lens, with its own, fixed tripod mount) flopped over on its side for portrait orientation. Solid as a rock!

The locking flipper for the pan movement doesn't need to turn more than 30 degrees or so from tightly locked to moving freely and smoothly, so it has the full 360° of movement without any interference.
Here are two quickie shots of the head with the pan locked and unlocked ...

pan locked

pan unlocked

I then fitted the Olympus E-M1 with ZD 50-200 + EC14, spun it out to 280mm telephoto, and did some test shots at 1 to 3 seconds. Easy to position, easy to lock, absolutely rock steady.

To position the camera, I put my right hand on the camera and my left on the head. Twist the locking ring to the right to unlock the ball and the camera now moves smoothly, with both hands controlling the movement. It never tries to flop over on its side due to the elliptical ball! Get the framing positioned correctly and twist the locking ring to the left: locked down solid with no movement at all. And that's with a 3 lb plus camera/lens assembly on it.

The P0 operates very smoothly and the elliptical ball is genius. I'm going to like this very much.

Now ... to find time to take it out for a shooting session! :-\

G
Hi Godfrey

I got one after reading Will's post -- I am so happy with - easy to use, light and just works GREAT - I am sure you will love it

;)

Phil

Godfrey

Just did a quick shoot with the P0. Simple conclusion: the best tripod head I've used yet for my needs. It's fast, precise, very very stable, and easy to work with. It's also small and light.

Very pleased with it.

gazwas

Thank you for the review. I've been considering this or the P1.
The P1 is truly a beautiful head and the rotating ring locking and variable damping mechanise a work of art but when used on anything other than a large format camera only 37 degrees of tilt is very limiting.

Such a shame the P1d never made it into production.