The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

International shipping warning.

stephengilbert

This isn't something that happens often, but when it does, it's really a pain.

When you ship goods (like that camera or lens) with a value of more than $2500 from the U.S. to any country other than Canada, you must file a report of the transaction with the Census Bureau, which then issues a transaction number which mist be on the package. If you fail to do so, as I recently did, you risk the package being stopped and returned to you. When you ship by Post, this can take a week.

When I get the package back, in the next few days, I'm planning to use FedEx to resend it. My lessons from this: don't do these transactions at all, but if you do, don't use the Post Office. (FedEx has a downloadable form you can fax to them, and for a small fee they will obtain the proper clearance. To get the clearance yourself would require that you establish an account with the Census Bureau, which requires that you first take a test!)

f8orbust

Same deal in Canada:

An export declaration (B13A) must be completed and submitted, prior to export, for commercial goods that are valued at CAD $2,000 or more destined to any country other than the U.S., Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Was caught out by this once when I lived there. Ended up having to refund the shipping cost to the buyer once he started crying like a baby on seeing the UPS 'exception' emails arrive.

Jim

stephengilbert

I'm lucky: the buyer has been very understanding and more patient than I. I just got an email that the package has been returned to my local PO, so at least they didn't lose it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This isn't something that happens often, but when it does, it's really a pain.

When you ship goods (like that camera or lens) with a value of more than $2500 from the U.S. to any country other than Canada, you must file a report of the transaction with the Census Bureau, which then issues a transaction number which mist be on the package. If you fail to do so, as I recently did, you risk the package being stopped and returned to you. When you ship by Post, this can take a week.

When I get the package back, in the next few days, I'm planning to use FedEx to resend it. My lessons from this: don't do these transactions at all, but if you do, don't use the Post Office. (FedEx has a downloadable form you can fax to them, and for a small fee they will obtain the proper clearance. To get the clearance yourself would require that you establish an account with the Census Bureau, which requires that you first take a test!)
Ever feel that this Republic has regulated you a bit too tightly?

stephengilbert

A thought that passed my mind as well. It's like a Bill O'Reilly story.

The government decides they need information on international trade, presumably so they can foster it. So they create a system that's so onerous and inefficient that it likely obstructs trade.

When I called the Census help line to see if I understood what was required to establish an account, and said I wasn't about to take a test in order to send a camera to Hong Kong, the guy told me it wasn't so bad, that it would only take a half hour to complete the test.

I hope Jack doesn't see this thread.

jlm

Workshop Member
damn, you mean i have to pass a test to send that fat wad of $1,000 bills to switzerland?

stephengilbert

I'm so proud of myself: I shipped my package.

If you're inclined to do the same (ship something worth more than $2500 to another country), here's how:

1. Open a FedEx account, so they can charge the fee for generating the ITN number required for shipping.

2. Download the Fedex Express form to request the ITN number (click the FedEx Export AgentFile – FedEx Express link to download the form: FedEx EEI Filing Options). It can be saved on your computer.

3. When you get to the item description, go to the HTS search engine to find out what they call whatever it is that you're shipping, as well as its code number. https://uscensus.prod.3ceonline.com/

4. Fax the form to FedEx, and (for a $10 fee) they'll email you an ITN number. Enter it on your waybill, and your package should be good to go.

Last edited: