The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SD card deleted by mistake :cry:

Rawfa

Guys,

By accident the pictures in one of my many SD cards got deleted. It was not paid gig or anything, but the photos came out really well and I'd like to recover them. I've tried Undelete 360 and Recuva with no luck. Does anyone know any good free file recovery software?

k-hawinkler

Guys,

By accident the pictures in one of my many SD cards got deleted. It was not paid gig or anything, but the photos came out really well and I'd like to recover them. I've tried Undelete 360 and Recuva with no luck. Does anyone know any good free file recovery software?
Some manufacturers have recovery software for their cards.
I would start there. Also lock the card so that it can't be written.
Good luck.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Try and find a dedicated recovery software from your card manufacturer as K-H said -- it is the best option.

Rawfa

Thanks, Jack. It's a SanDisk and even though I've managed to get my hands on the RescuePro software it asks me for a previously backed up image...which I don't have :(

drofnad

> Try Recuva.

Note the OP's "I've tried Undelete 360 and Recuva with no luck."

... the RescuePro software asks me for a previously backed up image...which I don't have :(
Is it possible that you could get this via another card?
--that what's needed, essentially, is something saved
by the particular camera? (I've no clue, just wondering.)

-d.

Tim

I've done a number of hard drive and SD card recoveries in my days. While I am no expert by any means, there is one program that has worked on hard drives and flash memory where the half dozen others I tried failed miserably. Note: I am in NO way associated with the author or owner of this software, its just that I've used it successfully a few times and bought licenses. One particular laptop hard drive was trodden on and nothing else even came close, but this managed to get quite some of their data back.

I'd highly recommend that you lock the SD card before plugging it in to your PC, so it can only be READ and not modified by this or any other software, that way something else might work if the other fails.

This is it - About DMDE (DM Disk Editor and Data Recovery Software)

Anyway.. download and have a look and get the "GUI for Windows" demo (which is free) - it will recover a single file in demo mode to prove it works, then if it does you can purchase a license to get all the files. Its a bit convoluted to buy as it registers to your system, but worth it at $20 IMO.