The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Obama s People..NYT Magazine

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
After having read about the commissioning of Obama s People by Nadav Kander , I expected more. Its the cover and major subject of todays New York Times magazine( a great place to find excellent relevant photographs) . You maybe able to find the images at the NYT website as well.

What am I missing. Technically they seem all wrong ...which is OK ..but where is the offset. They all seem sloppy and poorly dressed..hardly what I would want for a portrait. Is this supposed to reveal the real personalities?

You may find the a funny (maybe its in the eye of the beholder) take at http://www.aphotoeditor.com/.

Would be interested in differing perspectives.

Roger Dunham

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There is a lot of truth in those thought bubbles LOL
As for the "behind the scenes" stuff, I think the photographer's narrative is absolute BS.
This is a light setup that is just screams high school "prom".
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Some work better than others. I am very close to liking them but there's something uncomfortable about them. I think it's the drop shadow. It looks like bad photoshop work even though it might actually be a part of the lighting. I can understand the publication wanting to be neutral and not going for glamour shots, but these end up feeling odd in a way that goes too far in the opposite direction.

stephengilbert

I liked them for the most part: a rogues gallery of the people who will disappoint us for the next four or eight years. Too bad we won't get to see mug shots of the prior gang.

In fact, some of the photos reminded of an exhibit of turn of the (last) century mug shots from a New Orleans jail. I'm sure they weren't very well lit, but they were certainly interesting.

I'm afraid that some people are so into the technique of photography that they begin to lose some of their enjoyment of photographs.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Beyond the lighting ..it looked like he went out of his way to (1)make the subjects look uncomfortable and (2)to create unflattering light . This is totally out of character for Obama ...who always seems to look professional .

I guess I am also reacting to making the new leadership team look ...well less than capable. But thats a different post.

atanabe

Maybe it was the attitude that "I can fix it Photoshop"? :) I agree that the lighting seems to be very flat and the poses were not the best.

I don't see any connection with the subjects, they stare off in the distance, stand awkwardly with an expression "are you done yet?" In a way it looks like they thought they were getting their security badge photo.

Avedon did a lot better with a white tent and an 8x10 view camera on location capturing the everyday people.