Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations you American People

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Congratulations you American People

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    The way I see it the color of the man shouldn't make a difference either way...
    That's exactly the point. We are celebrating the fact that the color of the man didn't make a difference, ie, didn't prevent him from getting elected. We are celebrating the fact that our country has caught up to the ideal which you have just endorsed.

If someone asked you two years ago whether you believed that our country was ready to elect the best presidential candidate, regardless of color, could you have honestly replied in the affirmative? I certainly didn't think our country had come that far in dealing with ethnic/cultural diversity. In fact, I still don't believe that a black person would have had a chance without a number of catastrophes: Bush/Cheney, Katrina, two wars, and near collapse of the financial system.

I believe our country has a long way to go in dealing with racial prejudice, especially in some of the states where Obama lost by a wide margin; but this election speaks for how far we have come in this respect, and that is worth celebrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Gary can you name any president since FDR who hasn't violate the Constitution? I can't.
    You may well be right....I'm not a historian and wouldn't claim to know one way or the other, but they all take that oath of office and I think the American people have a right to expect them to uphold it. When key provisions of the Constitution are violated as openly and repeatedly as during the Bush-Cheney administration....well, you know my views.

If we are going to start trying war criminals, it's going to be a long docket. I assume you'll add in the North Vietnamese, most of sub-shara africa and all the usual suspects?
    You're absolutely right, there is a long, long list of people who have violated human rights, the Geneva conventions and UN conventions against torture etc. If they had all been held to account, prosecuted, convicted and punished.....perhaps, just perhaps, rational people (whom I would think Bush, Cheney and Rumseld are) might think long and hard before committing these crimes.

I'm pretty sure that Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the others who developed these policies and authorized the use of torture never expected to be held to account for their crimes....and they ARE crimes. Unfortunately, some Americans seem to have a hard time with the idea that our own leaders should be held to the same standards as other leaders around the world...such as with violations by the North Vietnamese, Chinese, etc you mentioned.

As far as I'm concerned, whether it was Bush, Clinton, JFK, Ho Chi Minh or whomever doesn't matter.....none of them are above the law, especially with something as serious and fundamental as these sorts of crimes. If you don't agree, then I would say "the rule of law" really means nothing to you.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I am VERY serious....but I can see that you don't take these violations of human rights and the Geneva conventions very seriously at all. Well, I guess you would have no objection to Americans who were SUSPECTED of being subversives, terrorists, agents of the CIA etc of being tortured by foreign governments either then.

It's a slippery slope....one that I never thought our government would so openly walk down....and why so many people in the US military, Justice department etc were opposed to the Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld doctrines on torture.

The reality is that Bush and Cheney will likely never be held to account. But Rumsfeld and others who participated in creating the policies that led to this are at much greater risk of arrest and prosecution. I'm quite sure they will be very careful about where they travel outside of the USA in the future.

Gary
    You'd sing a different tune if you spent a little time with some of the so called human beings residing in Quantanamo. Who do you think you're dealing with here? Whatever faults you think this Bush administration had they kept this country safe for 8 years in a post 9/11 world, do you think that all is well with these terrorists and they regret their actions? Do you realize what high they were on with the success of 9/11 and how many other attempts were foiled by the people you criticize.

I tell you one thing, if Jimmy Carter can still hold his stupid head up and walk around without being shot then the Bush administration has nothing to worry about, there's the real traitor for you. You should learn some history and the truth before accusing people, don't believe everything you read in the papers against the Bush administration, we'll see what Mr. Obama is made of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Well I have to agree with Tim in his Exhuberance
    AND
    Gary with regard to Human Rights Violations & Geneva Convention Rules
    Perhaps George & Dick should have a Taste of Guantanamo before it gets closed down....
    Helen I love ya but I spent too much time in a country where if you don't agree with the government you go to jail and sometimes don't ever come back. We don't want to start to go down that road.

Attachment 11072
    Last edited by mwalker; 21st January 2009 at 15:28.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    ....so called human beings......
    You may not be able to comprehend the implications of this....but believe it or not, the prisoners being held at Guantanamo really ARE human beings, even those who may have committed unspeakable crimes against other human beings. It's clearly a concept that is lost upon you.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Helen I love ya
    Me Luvs you too ....
    & we share a Day
    Soon to be B-Day Boy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh God not another
    Mike

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    That's exactly the point. We are celebrating the fact that the color of the man didn't make a difference, ie, didn't prevent him from getting elected. We are celebrating the fact that our country has caught up to the ideal which you have just endorsed.

If someone asked you two years ago whether you believed that our country was ready to elect the best presidential candidate, regardless of color, could you have honestly replied in the affirmative?
    Honestly yes, even a few years back I would have thought that Colin Powel had a good chance. I'm more surprised at how little credit we're giving the American people rather than having a person of color in office.

[QUOTE=Amin;70720]I certainly didn't think our country had come that far in dealing with ethnic/cultural diversity. In fact, I still don't believe that a black person would have had a chance without a number of catastrophes: Bush/Cheney, Katrina, two wars, and near collapse of the financial system.

I believe our country has a long way to go in dealing with racial prejudice, especially in some of the states where Obama lost by a wide margin; but this election speaks for how far we have come in this respect, and that is worth celebrating.
    Why do you see it as only racial when people disagree with your point of view and Obama's policies, including myself. There are many things in his past that still worry me, but I had a harder time stomaching Mr. Maverick. Don't forget that George Bush won twice over other white guys, there are many of us who liked and still like him but voted against the party simply because the candidate wasn't right, the outcome could have been different if Obama was running against a better person.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the 100 day review maybe a good thing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ahem...now you see why in polite company one never discusses politics or religion.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

These things never go anywhere. One of the best things about this forum, is the lack of trolling/flaming and heated arguments...this is the slippery slope.

That being said, when Gitmo closes should we send them all to Alaska? Heh heh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

</thread>

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    These things never go anywhere. One of the best things about this forum, is the lack of trolling/flaming and heated arguments...this is the slippery slope.

Thats why I don't go over to the LUF much anymore..always insults and egos

insults and egos...good name for a band!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As long as we all keep a sense of humor and don't make it or take it personally, I'm not one who thinks politics should be off limits in a section of the forum for Other Discussions/Sunset Bar. Now if someone started this thread in the Medium Format Digital section.....heck no!

Only if Sarah can make room in her place for them. Of course, being forced to listen to Sarah spouting off 24/7 might be considered defacto proof of torture under the UN conventions.

Actually, our governor refuses to live in the Governor's mansion in Juneau (the state capital) so I suppose they might as well send the Gitmo detainees there. No sense having the mansion sit empty....and living in Juneau during the winter (rain/grey/no sun) is definitely no picnic!

Sarah prefers to charge the Alaska tax payers per diem expenses for living in her own house out there in Wasilla. She's got balls (pardon the expression), that's for sure!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree to just stopping this, lots of people have lots of strong opinions but this has nothing to do with photography and is only serving to put a sour note in the friendliest photography forum on the internet. I know OPF just killed their equivelent of our Sunset Bar due to politics driving a serious wedge in their community, can we go back to talking about alcohol please?

Just came back from shooting a wedding (it's 2am, I have a flight at 8 and really should go for a shower!) of people from a very different section of my own religion with a very different outlook on life, different languages and very different politics. But it was extremely pleasant, really nice people to work with, a couple whose happy smiles lit up their faces, good fun in fact and I drove away from an exhausting wedding, in pain, but with a smile on my face.

Lets interact on non controversial subjects, be happy, appreciate each others time and help donated to the forum and leave the politics for the pub and those who have the patience for arguing about things which leave a bad taste in the mouth. Personally I'd prefer not to get wound up myself so don't volunteer to be annoyed...

Sorry if this looks bad, my screen here is awful and uncalibrated and I'm very tired. Todays bride has 15 siblings (not unusual for chassidic families) and the youngest is down syndrome. But look at that smile of a happy though severely disabled baby as she looked round from playing with her older sister. Whenever I feel down I'm going to remember this picture, a happy smile to put me back into perspective....

I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

great picture
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks, we'll keep it open and running as long as it stays friendly and respectful -- the minute it starts to go sideways, we will shut it down. So far, I think we're doing fine, let's just keep it that way

Oh, and FWIW, I think the respectful tenor of this thread speaks volumes about the class of our membership -- my compliments!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I agree to just stopping this, lots of people have lots of strong opinions but this has nothing to do with photography and is only serving to put a sour note in the friendliest photography forum on the internet. I know OPF just killed their equivelent of our Sunset Bar due to politics driving a serious wedge in their community, can we go back to talking about alcohol please?
    You know, I'm certainly happy to stop this discussion, but it's unfortunate if we can't have them in this section of the forum, without people getting bad feelings which are carried over into other, photography related sections of the forum. I have many, many conservative friends and co-workers (after all, I live in Alaska and work for a big OIL company) and we disagree on many political topics, but we manage to discuss these issues and still be friends and work together. In fact, living here in Alaska (a RED state if there ever was one), I'd guess that ~75% of my friends would agree with the more conservative views expressed here.

But then.....I grew up in a family that talked and sometimes argued politics all the time, then I got a degree in Philosophy where all we EVER did was argue points back and forth....I guess it just comes naturally to me.

I may vigorously disagree with another person's views....but if you ever hear me question their patriotism....just slap me upside the head, it means I've just OD'd on Fox News and Sean Hannity (just kidding, of course!).

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    great picture
    Agreed! Gotta love that face and smile!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Folks, we'll keep it open and running as long as it stays friendly and respectful -- the minute it starts to go sideways, we will shut it down. So far, I think we're doing fine, let's just keep it that way
    I think my ability to respond appropriately to points raised in this thread has come to an end, so I'll take my leave before I let myself go sideways .

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I won't go sideways but can I go orthogonal?

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Sideways, how about some Pinot?

Back to Gitmo, the problem with closing it...where do you put those friendly terrorists? I certainly don't want them in Alaska, or Texas, or anywhere in the US for that matter. Let's not bring them into our court system either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I won't go sideways but can I go orthogonal?
    John, you can go any way you want, as long as it stays respectful
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking of Sideways, how about some Pinot?

Back to Gitmo, the problem with closing it...where do you put those friendly terrorists? I certainly don't want them in Alaska, or Texas, or anywhere in the US for that matter. Let's not bring them into our court system either.
    If you send them to Texas I think Los Rinches can deal with them.

But it looks like they are going to the land of cows, chocolate and an assault rifle in every home.

"Switzerland is ready to consider taking in detainees from the U.S. prison for terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba "

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think my ability to respond appropriately to points raised in this thread has come to an end, so I'll take my leave before I let myself go sideways .
    Amin that is great and if anyone feels the same than that is also great. Last thing anyone wants is hurt feelings around here and if you feel uncomfortable with a conversation than that is a great choice if one wants to make one. Myself i hate politics and religion stuff. Jack and i never talk about it mostly and i ignore my e-mail group when they get into it. Nothing wrong with making those kinds of decisions , no one really wins in most of these but it is fun to see different sides of the coin. As Jack said this speaks volumes of our members that want a peaceful conversation on topics that are really tough to talk about sometimes. Seriously if I was a admin. on a political forum or religious one. I think i would pull my hair out in about 3 minutes or worse. LOL

What I see is we all have many opinions on this subject but I do see the common thread as well. At the end of the day no matter what stance you may have we all have our fingers crossed this will work out. That i am sure all of us can agree on. I admit enjoying seeing some history being made and maybe or at least hopefully some more walls being torn down. I am 52 and grew up in New Jersey and i DO remember the riots and the conflicts of the American people and looking back on it, not a pretty sight. So if this helps at all than I think a good thing on that note . As a president and leader of this country , love him or hate him the bottom line is we all want it to work out no matter what our views. This reminds me in photo terms of the M8 on the love and hate that camera brings on and some of the issues that hit it. Reality is not much difference in views per say just different wording but still strong views on it. With that I will also leave the conversation only because it is not my thing, but please continue as you see fit as the members here expect to be treated.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

nei1

There is a strong flow of opinion here that the same group of right wing terrorists that despached king and kennedy will also see off obama before the year is out.Lets hope the good will of the world is enough to keep him safe and that he and his goverment are strong enough to make the necessary changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Jack and Guy for all you do to make this forum a place we want to be....mostly for camera/photography stuff, but now and then, for the big stuff too. Ok, ok...photography is big stuff also. :-)

In my 55 years, I've met alot of folks I disagree with and even a few I agree with. Surprisingly enough, I've become close friends with people on both ends of the political and religious spectrums. Go figure. So I have alot of experience arguing with friends about a wide variety of topics and still being friends. It does help to do this over a glass of Pinot (there's that Sideways angle again!).

One thing I try to remember, always, is that for me, the Internet is no excuse for rudeness or saying anything I wouldn't say to a friend or perfect stranger, face to face. That's why personally, I don't like or buy into the anonymity of the Web....my name is Gary Benson and I live in Eagle River, Alaska. If you want to have a conversation or discussion on the phone, I'll happily send you an e-mail with my phone number. I'll even pick up the tab for the long distance phone charges. Although I don't get down to the "Lower 48 states" nearly as often as I'd like, if I'm in your neighborhood (or you're in mine) someday....I'd be just as happy to discuss these issues with you face to face over a coffee, glass of wine or beer (your choice, I'll do either)....after which, I would hope we can go out and do some real photography, admire each others equipment or view each others work.

I'm not about to minimize the seriousness of these issues or our disagreements about them. These issues are consequential for us, as American citizens, but even more so for those who have been caught up in this "war on terror", rightly or wrongly.

These issues will not go away, even after this thread has faded away into Internet oblivion. Speaking for myself, I only hope that those who have made the decisions to take America in the direction it has gone for the past eight years will someday be judged for their actions, if not here on earth....well, then someplace else. If they have done nothing wrong, they have nothing to fear. Personally, I would not want to be in their shoes.

In the meantime....I'm really, really happy that Barack Obama is the new president of this United States of America. And like all of you, I'm hoping for the best possible outcomes over the next four years, both here at home and across this increasingly small and interconnected world.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska.....yes, there really is such a place.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeScecina View Post
    ahem...now you see why in polite company one never discusses politics or religion.
    Yes . . . I'm sorry, it's my fault, I should never have started it!

One thing I can say, is that Obama's election has been thoroughly welcomed by every European I've spoken to, and I guess that enthusiasm was what made me start the post. Still

you guys - please stop arguing - you will NEVER agree with each other!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new white house photographer, Peter Souza:

http://www.petesouza.com/gallery.htm...Barack%20Obama

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RE: Peter Souza / Enjoyed his EYE & loved his work....great series of photos
    thanx Vivek for posting

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

you guys - please stop arguing - you will NEVER agree with each other!
    The beauty of it is that we don't have to!

It would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things, thought the same way and behaved the same, differences are good, otherwise we'd all be SHEEP.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget there were 58M people who didn't vote for Obama.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    RE: Peter Souza / Enjoyed his EYE & loved his work....great series of photos
    thanx Vivek for posting
    My pleasure, Helen. The only good thing that CNN did after all the talking heads sounded disappointed in finding no catch phrases in the inaugural address is to conclude that this whole election was best captured by still photographs. Many outstanding photographs came out of that and they all will go down in history- not only American history but World history.

Here is what Rick Waldroup captured with his P&S camera (that shot was was bought by McGraw&Hill to be used in a school history textbook, as Rick says down in this long thread): http://nikongear.com/smf/index.php?topic=8660.0
    (The camera was either a DP1 or GRD).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert, my friend, the images you attached (no disrespect to your feelings at all) are infringing on the copyrights of the photographer and the magazine/agency that own them (same goes for the cartoons as well).

The west can not preach some country like China (for example) on trademarks/copyright infringement when things like this go on. Besides that it is utter disregard for the artist and their work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed it will. Nothing wrong with hope either, but I want to see actual results before I get too excited. And if I do see real results -- not just media spin and talking heads saying so -- then you may see me at the front of that congratulations reception line
    Jack

I understand your points and don't disagree.

However I think Barack has already accomplished something very important. He has restored some sorely needed optimism from the American people. In order to fix the economy this confidence is crucial. Otherwise the people will stay in the bunkers they built for themselves during the Bush Cheney years. We need people to get back to an optimistic view of life; buy (American) goods and services; continue to improve their productivity; and move forward and upward.

I am personally very optimistic about the future albeit knowing that it is going to take time. This morning he has signed three executive orders which forces the closure of Guantanimo within a year for example. He said he was going to make this a priority and within two days in office he has done the deal.

He needs the help of congress to get an economic stimulus bill passed. His team has already drafted the bill and now it is in the House of Representatives for amendment and passage. Then on to the Senate. While there will undoubtedly be changes from his original draft those changes are going to be shown to the American public for scrutiny and transparency. This is another thing he promised during the run up to the elections.

So enough for now from me. I am not a democrat and I don't any longer feel i am a Republican either. I voted for President Obama and based on the past two days, seeing how quickly he is moving to fulfill his promises, I am very optimistic about him and our Nation.

Thanks for listening YMMV

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    However I think Barack has already accomplished something very important. He has restored some sorely needed optimism from the American people.
    Hi Woody
    Not just the American people - I promise you.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey,
    What do you think about those Bruins!
    Number 2 in the League standings just behind the Sharks.
    Now I have some cause for optimism!
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know Bob, I honestly wished I liked hockey. Way back when, I used to go to see the Hartford Whalers play. Hockey is wicked good in person, I just can't get the same joy from watching it on TV. Nevertheless, I support all New England teams and therefore will root for the Bruins. Go Bruins!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Hey,
    -bob
    I have two words to say to you:

Andy Murray

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    He is playing very well and looks pretty dominant IMO!
    Very good!
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a Bruin fan (and UCLA grad), I'm less optimistic: they lost to Arizona State at home.... What, hockey? Are they still playing hockey?

(Just kidding, of course. My mom was born in Canada.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay it's been 61 years for the Arizona Cardinals to get to the big game. Super Bowl Sunday the Cards are playing, NOW that is history. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The last guy sent a stimulus check. Didn't really work out.
    I thought it did! Well, at least I got some cash out of the deal.

What I don't understand is all the fanfare about how great one is BEFORE they've actually done anything...
    That is based upon the flawed premise that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Obviously said persons have never been in a
    Mexican Standoff. Myself? I'm fairly ambivalent on the whole thing. To oft, Power breeds corruption, and human nature wins out. And at this point, only time will tell if that's the case this time.
    Hope for the best, expect the worst.
    Last edited by ChrisDauer; 22nd January 2009 at 09:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey,
    -bob
    Celtic's doing great to, so we going for #18

BlasR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlasR View Post
    Celtic's doing great to, so we going for #18

BlasR
    Now if we can pump up the sox and the patriots get healthy for next season
    it might be a chance for a slam.
    Where is my turf accountant when I need him?
    -bob

p.s.
    Am I right in thinking that you are from the home town of Rocky Marciano?

Oxide Blu

Just to clarify, I'm more politically agnostic -- bred from years of experience watching the political process and a resultant skepticism of politicians in general. What I want to see from ANY politician regardless of party affiliation are results. And when I finally do see some real progress, I'll happily get in line and bang a drum for the person that actually delivered. (And I don't expect to buying a drum anytime soon...)

I am 100% in agreement with this. Over the years I have watches as both parties deteriorated into a single, politically correct entity that pretends to still be two distinct parties, as if no one noticed.

Our political system is designed to be a two-party system that only works when the two parties oppose each other. "Bipartisan" is an evil word in Washington politics. When the two parties oppose each other, the people are safe, anything can be fixed. But when the parties align, the people lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey,
    -bob
    Now if we can pump up the sox and the patriots get healthy for next season
    it might be a chance for a slam.
    Where is my turf accountant when I need him?
    -bob

p.s.
    Am I right in thinking that you are from the home town of Rocky Marciano?

1 miles away

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re hockey, two words: Sharks and Lemieux.

Jack