The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Congratulations you American People

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

At the very very worst your new president is charismatic and interesting.

The world needs charismatic and interesting (at least, I think so).

D

ddk

Charisma and smooth talk won him the presidency now let's hope that there's some substance there too, I'd hold off on the congratulations for a while until we see what kind of a man we've elected.

back alley

as a yank living in canada i am pleased with this new president so far.

and yes, congrats to all living in the u.s.a.

joe

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It truly was a honor as a American to see some of those barrier walls being torn down today and hopefully a new history and recovery will begin to this nation. I wish him the best and this country the best as we go forward but most of all I do hope to see the world become a better place before i go to sleep for my children and there children.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
In spite of the challenges ahead, I am optimistic for the first time in many years. The pride and confidence so obvious on the faces of the millions in the crowd is a very, very, welcome change. I myself am proud and wish the new President the very best.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
As an citizen of the United States, I see no need for these imperial shows.

Just swear them in and get on with business. History will provide any congratulations if they are needed.

simonclivehughes

After eight years of the last gentleman and his cronies, I think the American people deserved being able to celebrate and to hear a leader who can not only speak eloquently but gave a hell of a speech. Had I the opportunity, I would have been there too. There's hope on the horizon.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
History will provide any congratulations if they are needed.
Indeed it will. Nothing wrong with hope either, but I want to see actual results before I get too excited. And if I do see real results -- not just media spin and talking heads saying so -- then you may see me at the front of that congratulations reception line :)

R

Ranger 9

as a yank living in canada i am pleased with this new president so far.
Frankly, I expected more. I mean, geez, as of right now he's been President for almost 11 hours, and he still hasn't fixed the economy, brought peace to the Middle East, or sent me an economic stimulus check. What, does he think we've got all day to wait around for him to solve all our problems?!?

bensonga

It truly was a honor as a American to see some of those barrier walls being torn down today and hopefully a new history and recovery will begin to this nation. I wish him the best and this country the best as we go forward but most of all I do hope to see the world become a better place before i go to sleep for my children and there children.
On the positive side, I can't do much better than echo your thoughts Guy. I too hope for the best and feel like we've turned a corner in so many ways.

On a personal note, I'll just add....I'm not sorry to see eight years of Bush-Cheney misrule come to an end. The damage they have done to America and the world is deep.

Today and forever, they will see the soles of my shoes. Good riddance, I say, good riddance to them all.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Guy Mancuso

Geez i have to drive 2 solid days with 2 Republicans in the car to Moab. I need one of two things ear plugs for one or two muzzles. Wait there is a third option a bottle of Hendriks and let you two drive.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify, I'm more politically agnostic -- bred from years of experience watching the political process and a resultant skepticism of politicians in general. What I want to see from ANY politician regardless of party affiliation are results. And when I finally do see some real progress, I'll happily get in line and bang a drum for the person that actually delivered. (And I don't expect to buying a drum anytime soon...)

What I don't understand is all the fanfare about how great one is BEFORE they've actually done anything...

Cheers,

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Geez i have to drive 2 solid days with 2 Republicans in the car to Moab. I need one of two things ear plugs for one or two muzzles. Wait there is a third option a bottle of Hendriks and let you two drive.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
:D

I just hope he is friendly to the small businessman/women which most of us are.....

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Agreed Mike. We certainly need a shot in the arm. Have one very long term client that is on such budget restrictions if I get a couple jobs this year from them i would be really lucky. Well today is his first workday and let's see what comes forth in the coming months and years. I think we all have our seat belts on.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
What I don't understand is all the fanfare about how great one is BEFORE they've actually done anything...

Cheers,
Clearly the promise of change and the reality of actually making it are two separate things. Skepticism is healthy and appropriate.

However, I think there is a tremendous need for people to recognize when something good happens. And to get some practice at sharing that celebration.

We've all become experts at identifying the calamities and egregious faults our species is so proficient at displaying. It seems entirely appropriate and altogether necessary that we learn to celebrate when we finally do something right. History will judge President Obama's term at the helm, but today, right now, we can at least take heart in the fact that a black man has been elected to the highest office in the land.

Millions of people of color in this country and around the world have a new perspective on what is possible. Tremendous human potential has just been unlocked.

I think that's worthy of some celebration. Outright joy in fact. Aren't we poorer for never allowing ourselves to be inspired? Are we so caught up in identifying the negative that we aren't able to celebrate something positive? There's little enough good news on the planet and it seems downright wasteful to dismiss something of this magnitude in the name of skepticism.

Amin

Guy, I feel exactly the same way and couldn't put it any better.

Amin

I remember one day as I was driving while listening to NPR. There was a segment where George Bush gave pre-written comments rather awkwardly. Shortly afterwards, they broadcast Prime Minister’s Questions (House of Commons) with Tony Blair on NPR. The contrast between articulate Tony Blair off the cuff and George Bush from a script was striking.

Jono's comment, as I understood it, simply points out some good qualities of our new president. It doesn't mean he will be a good president, and I don't think any of us are claiming that he is great! However, having a president who is well spoken, charismatic, and interesting is better than having one that lacks those qualities and really has nothing to do with how great Obama may or may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.