The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Insurance company Recommendations

pophoto

Hi All,

Setting up a new portrait studio and need some help.
Any recommendations for liability insurance, which companies you use and usually a good figure to have insurance up to, eg. $2mil?

Any other useful things to know are also welcome

Thanks
Po

Leigh

I've been with State Farm for about 50 years, and have been quite pleased with them.

Their claim service is very efficient, with no hassles or bull sh. They just pay the claim.

- Leigh

pophoto

I've been with State Farm for about 50 years, and have been quite pleased with them.

Their claim service is very efficient, with no hassles or bull sh. They just pay the claim.

- Leigh
Thank you Leigh. The thought had crossed my mind to go with SF, it's good to hear confirmation of this.

Leigh

I probably have a closer association with SF than most folks here. Their headquarters is in my home town.

I went to school with and was a friend of the daughter of the president of the company, and I know several folks who worked for SF.

- Leigh

fotografz

Proceed with caution.

If you are shooting for money, form a LLC and be sure the insurance you get is business insurance, not a personal rider on a homeowner's policy.

The minute you make any money, personal insurance doesn't cover it. I learned that one the hard way.

I have a Studio Pak Portrait studio policy through Fireman's Fund.

All gear and studio equipment under $6,000 has a $500 deductible, anything over $6,000 (everything with a red dot on it) is scheduled items and has no deductible …. what ever price I list it as, is what I get.

Covers assistants and places I may be shooting (some locations require this insurance before you can shoot there).

If you are a member of PPA, check their offerings.

- Marc

pophoto

Hi Marc,

Thanks for info, yes I just set up my LLC, yes I will be getting a business insurance for sure. I will be running my business from the basement of my home though!

Can anyone join the fireman's fund?

Thanks
Po

fotografz

Hi Marc,

Thanks for info, yes I just set up my LLC, yes I will be getting a business insurance for sure. I will be running my business from the basement of my home though!

Can anyone join the fireman's fund?

Thanks
Po
Anyone with the money :ROTFL:

My insurance agent found them for me. Just ask an agent. It is called "Store Pac" Portrait Studio.

Doesn't matter if it is in a basement, a boomed strobe falls on someone's head and you better have insurance. :shocked:

- Marc