Site Sponsors

Thread: The Palermo Shooting

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Palermo Shooting

Wen Wenders's new film, "The Palermo Shooting" is about a professional photographer.

It may not be another "Blow-Up" but should be well worth seeing as all Wenders films are.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Oxide Blu

Re: The Palermo Shooting

Looks like an interesting movie. I just checked the imdb info on it, looks like it just being released in the US on Jan 20, '09.

I've seen a couple other movies about photographer that were pretty good but I can't remember the titles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Blow-Up is the finest film about a photographer made to date. See if you can find a CD of it. If you've seen it you would remember it.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Blow-Up is the finest film about a photographer made to date. See if you can find a CD of it. If you've seen it you would remember it.
    I guess I saw it 40 years ago - and I still remember how splendid were Vanessa Redgrave and Sarah Miles and David Hemmings.

I don't think I remember any other film as well

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked "Under Fire" with Nick Nolte, Joanna Cassidy & Gene Hackman. Fictional but well done. "War Photographer", the documentary about James Nachtwey is an incredible movie.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I guess I saw it 40 years ago - and I still remember how splendid were Vanessa Redgrave and Sarah Miles and David Hemmings.

I don't think I remember any other film as well
    It will stick in the memory. Nor can I think of any film which address so well the ambiguity of the photographic process. Everyone speaks of photographs as looking "so real." When they are anything but. I sometimes think photography is the most abstract of the arts because it is built on the illusion of the "real."

Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sometimes think photography is the most abstract of the arts because it is built on the illusion of the "real."
    I'm going to quote that in the future if you don't mind John..
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I'm going to quote that in the future if you don't mind John..
    Gladly, just don't forget attribution.

Mike Johnston

Oxide Blu

I sometimes think photography is the most abstract of the arts because it is built on the illusion of the "real."

It was probably not intentional but you are paraphrasing what Ansel Adams said in explaining why he printed daytime landscapes with black skies; reality is not as appealing at the illusion of reality.

Something else Adams said: "Not everybody trusts paintings but people believe photographs."

Obviously said before the advent of digital photography allowed the image of a scantly clad babe standing on the moon with angel wings.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    It was probably not intentional but you are paraphrasing what Ansel Adams said in explaining why he printed daytime landscapes with black skies; reality is not as appealing at the illusion of reality.

Something else Adams said: "Not everybody trusts paintings but people believe photographs."

Obviously said before the advent of digital photography allowed the image of a scantly clad babe standing on the moon with angel wings.
    I think you can be pretty sure that John was 'intentional' - if nothing else!

John, as you say (although I'm not sure about 'abstract'). It seems to me that photography aims for 'convincing' (and we all know how little that has to do with reality )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photography is "abstract" in that each step of the process be it film or digital is an abstraction from one modality to another. To start with we don't capture an "instant" of time but period of duration of light. The quanta of that light in the case of film triggers chemical processes in a three dimensional film. In the case of digital those quanta are filling "holes" in photo receptors. We then take the film and remove some of the chemicals and leave some. As we move to printing we continue this process of quanta reaction and chemical addition and removal. This is a true abstraction, the reduction of information from a starting observation.

Digital is even more so with it's destruction-reconstruction of color in the Bayer process, the transformation of quanta events in the ones and zeros and mathmatical transforms which when converted to light or dyes fool the eye with an illusion of something real.

In a photograph we have a total abstract image in which the signifier replaces the signified.

Mike Johnston

Oxide Blu

Photography is "abstract" in that each step of the process be it film or digital is an abstraction from one modality to another. To start with we don't capture an "instant" of time but period of duration of light. The quanta of that light in the case of film triggers chemical processes in a three dimensional film. In the case of digital those quanta are filling "holes" in photo receptors. We then take the film and remove some of the chemicals and leave some. As we move to printing we continue this process of quanta reaction and chemical addition and removal. This is a true abstraction, the reduction of information from a starting observation.
    Any chance you could reword that using common words of one, maybe two syllables at the most?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    Any chance you could reword that using common words of one, maybe two syllables at the most?!?
    It would suffer if I did. May I suggest the following to start:

Photography Theory (Art Seminar)by James Elkins (Editor)

Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography by Roland Barthes

After these some Eco on Semotics, Pierce on Signs and Derida on Deconstruction and you'll be of to good start.

Photochemistry, electro-optics and signal processing would be a bonus.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 24th January 2009 at 12:45.

Mike Johnston

Oxide Blu

It would suffer if did.