The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When is a picture / post NSFW or just an environmental picture?

Michiel Schierbeek

I thougt about it: Hand her over to me and I'll marry her and then she can put me on the new seat of Minister of Photography.
(I should be photographing instead of being featherbrained here) :deadhorse:

Leigh

I thougt about it: Hand her over to me and I'll marry her and then she can put me on the new seat of Minister of Photography.
(I should be photographing instead of being featherbrained here) :deadhorse:
WOW!

I've heard of artists being desperate, even to the point of cutting off an ear, but...

volunteering to marry Angela is a new high point (low point)...
... or maybe the 'tographer is high.

- Leigh

Barry Haines

Hoping that you will see this Ben...A message (and invitation from me) hoping that you will return.
I have only just seen this thread, as I was wondering where you had disappeared too.
Whatever differences that you have, I really do hope you can just put aside and come back my friend (If you find what others have written upsetting to you, then just scroll on by and don't get involved (turn the other cheek and don't fuel the fire so to speak) would be my advice...I realize that can be a hard thing to do and the temptation is to answer back because your opinion is equally valid - But you know in your heart that your photographic hobby will always be second place to your religious beliefs, customs and political views.
You have been a long time member with lots of time invested in GetDPI helping others and it would be a real shame to let that all evaporate over something as silly as all this...As said before I hope you come back my friend...Kind regards and best wishes Barry

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Per Barry, me too. Ben, there are many of us here who appreciate your work and contributions to this site.

Please come back and hopefully understand that the words of a few don't reflect the feelings of the majority here. Your presence here has been appreciated by many more than just Barry, Guy and I who are being open about it.

M

mjr

I can appreciate the sentiment of you guys but I can't help feeling that leaving was more than a little childish, it's so much better to address issues than just throw your toys out of the pram and flounce off, the only thing worse than that is returning, at least you should have the courage to stick with your decision? What do I know, it's just a photography forum, letting it get to you enough to leave is unfathomable to me.

Have a nice Sunday!

Mat

Barry Haines

I can appreciate the sentiment of you guys but I can't help feeling that leaving was more than a little childish, it's so much better to address issues than just throw your toys out of the pram and flounce off, the only thing worse than that is returning, at least you should have the courage to stick with your decision? What do I know, it's just a photography forum, letting it get to you enough to leave is unfathomable to me.

Have a nice Sunday!

Mat
Mat...I hear what you are saying and I don't want to be drawn into a debate about your opinion as I respect it to much.
Personally my belief is that it takes guts to return, I was just trying to make the path a little easier rather than harder.
BTW...Nobody on this site that is more childish than me ;)

fotografz

I think you folks are missing the point. Ben's leaving has nothing to do with the NSFW debate.

When I read the thinly veiled "political" post that triggered his departure, I was shocked that it wasn't immediately censored.

Ben is a sensitive and talented photographer and artist. He has spent endless days helping students realize their creative potential. His personal and professional work has been an inspiration to many likewise talented GetDpi photographers. He toils daily helping preserve priceless ancient documents filled with wisdom and wonder for future generations.

IMO, Ben nor anyone else here need suffer insensitive fools that disguise their political views in such an inappropriate manner slyly aimed at an individual. To that person, I say … we aren't that stupid to not know exactly your intent.

It is INDEED just a photography forum, and it should be kept that way.

But hey, that's just me.

- Marc

M

mjr

Marc, I don't feel there's a point being missed, the post you are referring to was indeed out of order in my opinion but Ben had already stated he was off, I think at the same time as the post was being written because he then responded to that post as if to confirm he was off. Whatever, it has never been the way to deal with things in my opinion, solves nothing. I am probably also bias to the fact that the most brilliant and respected people I know are people who just do things, not announce that they are doing things for effect, they just get on with it. Anyway, it's fine that we think differently, whether Ben returns or not will not be down to what I say and rightly so.

Mat

alajuela

And all because Ben just requested if a posted picture could be moved to another
section...

wow. great going folks.
I think you folks are missing the point. Ben's leaving has nothing to do with the NSFW debate.

When I read the thinly veiled "political" post that triggered his departure, I was shocked that it wasn't immediately censored.

Ben is a sensitive and talented photographer and artist. He has spent endless days helping students realize their creative potential. His personal and professional work has been an inspiration to many likewise talented GetDpi photographers. He toils daily helping preserve priceless ancient documents filled with wisdom and wonder for future generations.

IMO, Ben nor anyone else here need suffer insensitive fools that disguise their political views in such an inappropriate manner slyly aimed at an individual. To that person, I say … we aren't that stupid to not know exactly your intent.

It is INDEED just a photography forum, and it should be kept that way.

But hey, that's just me.

- Marc

+1

Well Marc - you put the proverbial "Bell on the Cat". We have certainly had our differences and lets say in good fun. but respect for you I always had, and now I have more.

BUT as you so aptly put --- comments that's were ugly had nothing to do with Ben expressing his feeling about what he thinks should or should not be posted. The condescending and presumptuousness which were political / religious and out of thin air - that's what should have been censored.

As eloquence is something I aspire to, but rarely attain being a nuts and bolts guy. Lets put put flashing lights on the proverbial cat. This is not the cat that the previous 15 or so posts were speaking about.

To put a fine point on it - would those posts have gone up if Ben's name was John Smith and a Minister and his address was Westminster Abbey, if the answer is no - then as other people so easily soothed their conciseness I also take refuge - I rest my case.

Phil

fotografz

Mat, Ben IS brilliant and he IS highly respected whether he meets your criteria for "getting on with it" or not. Your innuendo insults the friendship of those who know him, even if only from Get Dpi.

He has many, many friends here who have benefited from his selfless sharing and talented expressions. That he had the courage to speak out against intolerance, even if twice, just confirms what many already feel about about his character.

The only thing needed for tyranny to succeed, is for good men to do nothing.

Marc

(So, now the tempest has grow to hurricane strength. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if the Mods shut this thread and deleted the whole thing if only to wipe the stain of intolerance from Get Dpi).

M

mjr

Marc, i am not under any illusion that my criteria is going to match yours, just stating in my own way that people returning to something after they have made a big deal out of leaving is disappointing. It's not innuendo in any way, just a fact to me. He hasn't faced intolerance he has let it beat him by walking away from foolish insults.

Anyway, deleting this thread is as likely to deal with intolerance as leaving, issues need to be faced, or not, whatever.

Mat