The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pics of motorcycles....

bensonga

Anything goes in the Sunset Bar, right? :)

Ok, then let's see some of your favorite motorcycle photos. These might be pics of your bike or anything motorcycle related. I know there are alot of motorcyclists on this forum (who would have guessed?). :thumbs:

I'll get it started with this photo of our W650s....one for me, one for my wife Kathleen. A modern day version of a 1968 Triumph Bonneville....but with bevel driven overhead cams and no oil leaks! These bikes were only sold in the United States for two or three years (mine is a silver/blue 2000 model with Euro bars, Kathleen's is a green/cream 2001 model with the standard high bars sold in the USA). These bikes are alot of fun to ride on a hot summer day....I just wish we had more of those hot summer days here in Alaska.

In the depth of a dark Alaskan winter, this is one of the photos I look at to remind me that all is not lost, summer will eventually return.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited:

bensonga

His first long ride.....summer of 2000. Honda CM450A (Automatic). Anchorage to Valdez and back. My friend's 16 year old son. He was wearing his dad's old BMW leather jacket. We had camped overnight at the Blueberry Lake State Park, high above Valdez and Prince William Sound. What a great trip it was.....

Olympus Stylus P&S film, scanned. Photo taken by his 12 year old sister riding on the back of my BMW R1100RT.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I sincerely wish I had some pics of my motorcycles. But photography came after the bike phase. Between the ages of 16 and 18 I had 3 motorcycles before I ever owned a car. A Honda 250 Scrambler (first bike), then a Triumph 500, and finally a Triumph 650 Bonneville. I still get nostalgic and would love to have one again. But after laying the Bonny over for the third time and walking away, I sort of vowed to not push my luck.

Doesn't keep me from admiring yours though!

Seascape

I always had this image of Ducati's being so stylish. This one (photo taken in Italy recently) was in such bad shape, I just had to take a shot of it.

bensonga

I always had this image of Ducati's being so stylish. This one (photo taken in Italy recently) was in such bad shape, I just had to take a shot of it.
Ha! I can't believe that Ducati hadn't already re-purchased and destroyed this bike. A Ducati cruiser....who would have guessed it! Definitely not consistent with their marketing today. Thanks for the photo.

Here's a photo of my one and only Ducati. A 1998 900 Supersport FE. I never should have sold this one.

Gary

bensonga

Two twins...separated at birth....or something like that.

While I've owned a few BMW motorcycles over the years and I've ridden (and enjoyed) quite a few Harley Davidsons, I've never actually owned a HD.

Someday, I may have to rectify that deficiency.

Sort of like owning a Hasselblad, but finding a certain appeal in a Leica rangefinder too.

On the other hand, I'll admit that I've yet to find a motorcycle I didn't enjoy riding.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

In this case, both are twins, but that's where the similarity ends.

kweide

A hell of a scooter. My Gilera Runner FXR180 DD SP
Some tuning done.
180 ccm 2 stroke engine. About 25 HP, full automatic transmission an about 155km/h fast. 100 KG weight... have reaaaaaallllly fun.

PeterA

DID someone say "Ducati"? -:) This is my "Bella" - one of 150 0of the last 'real' racing Ducatis - SPS 'Pista' - Fogarty Replica..

Old Style blad205TCC/tiny 16 megapixel square chip ( would love a 22 megapixel bigger square) on CFV11/Zeiss110/F2 - the king

Last edited:

bensonga

No doubt about it...those Italians know how to build sexy two wheeled vehicles! :)

I've never owned a high performance scooter....but your's looks great Kweide....and I'll bet it gets terrific fuel mileage too.

Now THAT'S a Ducati!!! Great photos Peter.....I can just imagine how good it sounds with those pipes.

Speaking of Italian motorcycles.....anyone here ever owned a Guzzi? The Griso is definitely not your father's Guzzi....but it does have a certain appeal. I love the engine configuration in any case.

How about a MV Agusta? One of the most incredible sounding motorcycles I've ever ridden. I'm very lucky to have friends with a taste for fine motorbikes (here's my friend John on his 750cc F4). :thumbs:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska....still a few months before I can get the bikes back on the road.

bensonga

Another bike I've been fortunate enough to ride a few times. This 1999 'Busa is capable of some serious speed. Owned by my friend Will, seen here.

It only took a few rides on this bike for me to realize that I should never, ever buy one.....not if I wanted to keep my driver's license.

Lately, I've been migrating to motorcycles in the 650cc range with less than 60 hp. Still enough power to have fun, not as much temptation to have TOO MUCH fun! :eek:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited:

PeterA

I have owned a Guzzi and a 'bussa - these were before 'bella' - I know exactly what you mean about the 'Bussa..scary fast ...

the Guzzi Sport 1000 ( yellow btw) was a beautiful bike - the clutch was too hard on the wrists for an everyday ride..

good idea about lower horsepower - OR you could always just ride Harleys - same thing no? LOL:ROTFL::ROTFL:

bensonga

good idea about lower horsepower - OR you could always just ride Harleys - same thing no? LOL:ROTFL::ROTFL:
Yes, very true...although I try not to make this point too often with my Harley/cruiser riding friends! :rolleyes:

Maybe someday I'll buy a Harley, just to get it out of my system....been there, done that, so to speak.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the Suzuki V-Strom 650 I bought last year (the ugly duckling). A good bike for Alaskan roads (mostly crap, more or less). I plan to ride it to Dawson City, Yukon this summer for the annual Dust to Dawson ride (sold my 99 F650). We've done this ride a few times now...it is my wife's favorite motorcycle trip.

Problem is....when we hit the dirt/gravel/mud on the "Top of the World Highway" I typically slow down....and Kathleen speeds up! :wtf:

Whether on dirt or pavement, she is a very good rider.....not always good for my fragile male ego. :eek: :ROTFL:

Gary

bensonga

Certainly nice to see that all you guys are serious about ATGATT.
Cheers,
Absolutely! I've been lucky not to put the riding gear to the test yet, but there have been a few close calls at unexpected moments. My wife and I take the MSF Experienced Rider course every other year...it's a good refresher and way to keep saftey and defensive riding at the forefront of our minds.

I've gotten real attached to my bright orange helmet too! :thumbup:

Gary

simonclivehughes

Agree, one of the best keys to riding safely is being seen. I always wear my bright green safety vest over top of my jacket. When I bought my (black... limited color choice) Shoei FF helmet, the first thing I did was to add some strips of white 3M reflective tape to it. I also added some white and red 3M tape to places on my bike. That stuff shows up incredibly bright in low light.

I'm constantly amazed at what I see some riders wearing, especially the weekend Harley crowd. You just know that major pavement rash is the very least they'll eventually end up with.

Ride safe,

bensonga

Does anyone here follow the Moto-ST racing series? Nice to see a bike like this Ducati Paul Smart edition being competitive. I've also got a special interest in the Kawsaki Pair-O-Nines team racing the 650R....my wife own's two of these bikes (one here in Alaska and the second in Washington)...outfitted with Givi side cases, they make a great mid-size sport touring bike.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga

Here's the street going Ninja 650R, setup for sport touring. And my humble ZR-7S. Have to say, I think my wife looks pretty good in that riding gear. :)

This was on our ride thru Oregon and Washington in July 2008. Great trip...love those roads! I think this photo was taken at a pullout on the road around Crater Lake.

As you can see....she's got some very well worn Sidi Sympatec riding boots on. This girl puts alot of miles on her bikes each year and in all kinds of weather...quite frankly, more than I do. Only 5 feet 4 inches and she has ridden every bike in our garage, including the BMW 1100RT and my Honda VFR800.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga

Anyone else here with a spouse or girl friend who rides?

This was her first ride on the 1100RT a few years ago. As I recall, she passed me going 80-90 mph on the long sweeping curves leading to the top of Turnagain Pass.

Since then, the Alaska State Troopers have gotten very aggressive about enforcing the 55 mph speed limit. It's taken alot of the fun out of riding a motorcycle up here....on the paved roads anyways.

Gary

bensonga

A few photos from the 2005 Redbull MotoGP in Laguna Seca. My friend (Will, with the Hayabusa) was there with his Canon 1Ds. Most of these shots were taken with his 300mm f2.8 L. I was supposed to be there too, but couldn't get away from work that year. Still haven't made it. :(

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited: