The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Road to Moab

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I was using the Canon 5D II, and the M8.

Most of my shots were with the Canon, using Zeiss lenses (35-70 zoom and 35 PC) as well as the Canon 90 TSE.

The two shallow DOF images I've posted (the crystal log from the Petrified forest, and the entrance to Park Avenue canyon above) were both shot with the 28 cron on the M8.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steve and Mike, awesome shots added to the thread!

Mike, I especially want to thank you for the shots with all the folks in them -- that really does a good job if conveying what a great time we all had shooting together!

Re Spider Rock -- just so folks know the truth, it was frigging cold that morning, and the light was dead flat -- so the rest of us basically wimped out to go get breakfast. Mike said he was going to stick it out and hope for some light. So we get a double whammy -- first, as we were getting out of our cars to grab breakfast, the sky opened up and poured some light on the canyon. Second, the restaurant was closed for a staff meeting of all things -- seriously, I could not make this up. And if you've ever been to Chinle, you know that the selection of eating establishments is severely limited. Our plan B for food ended up being a stop and the minimart for Hostess doughnuts, coffee and jerky on the way out of town :rolleyes:

Don Libby

While the landscape images are superb it’s still great to see the faces behind the images. This is just a wonderful thread, thanks so much for sharing.

don

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Mike H. - Last year you posted some very nice images from Moab but I have to say that the images you posted this year are really stupendous. As you have already mentioned, I notice a big difference in composition, they all seem very carefully considered with many wonderful elements throughout. What really stands out is in the color and processing you have developed an approach that seems to match your aesthetic sensibility for the images. Perhaps the Zeiss lenses on the 5D may have helped considerably with this as well as the Leica glass on the M8. You have posted a very nice body of work from this trip (as did all of the participants) and it has been a pleasure watching this thread unfold and seeing new developments in your work.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Steve and Mike, awesome shots added to the thread!

Mike, I especially want to thank you for the shots with all the folks in them -- that really does a good job if conveying what a great time we all had shooting together!

Re Spider Rock -- just so folks know the truth, it was frigging cold that morning, and the light was dead flat -- so the rest of us basically wimped out to go get breakfast. Mike said he was going to stick it out and hope for some light. So we get a double whammy -- first, as we were getting out of our cars to grab breakfast, the sky opened up and poured some light on the canyon. Second, the restaurant was closed for a staff meeting of all things -- seriously, I could not make this up. And if you've ever been to Chinle, you know that the selection of eating establishments is severely limited. Our plan B for food ended up being a stop and the minimart for Hostess doughnuts, coffee and jerky on the way out of town :rolleyes:
Well in all fairness we had to get to Moab in time for our evening shoot also and setup for the workshop to actually start. LOL

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike H. - Last year you posted some very nice images from Moab but I have to say that the images you posted this year are really stupendous. As you have already mentioned, I notice a big difference in composition, they all seem very carefully considered with many wonderful elements throughout. What really stands out is in the color and processing you have developed an approach that seems to match your aesthetic sensibility for the images. Perhaps the Zeiss lenses on the 5D may have helped considerably with this as well as the Leica glass on the M8. You have posted a very nice body of work from this trip (as did all of the participants) and it has been a pleasure watching this thread unfold and seeing new developments in your work.
Coming from you, this is a great compliment. I learned a lot about composition from you last year - watching how you "saw" each area that we shot.

Hope to see you get out on another workshop this year!

Mike

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Great shots Joseph. Nice use of the trees. I especially like the 2nd one - it looks like a scene from Mars :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The view from The View (The View Hotel in Monument Valley)
Mike, You just keep putting up one more stunning than the last. I LOVE this one. The man-made edifice gives scale to the scene and the colors are just superb. I am sooo impressed with all the photos from everybody from the workshop.

Ron, Wonderful compositions and use of light. #2 really shines!

Don Libby

Mike

The image of the View just sells staying at the hotel. Really great image!

As an aside Sandy & I were scheduled to be in MV in March and had made our normal reservations at Gouldings not realizing the hotel had been completed until this thread started, needless to say we've cancelled and rebooked.

This thread has some stunning images please keep it going.

don

btw - Jack/Guy - can I make advanced reservations for the next Moab/Monument Valley Workshop? Please.......

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
btw - Jack/Guy - can I make advanced reservations for the next Moab/Monument Valley Workshop? Please.......

LOLOL! The next 'Moab' workshop is probably going to be a Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Page/Slot Canyon workshop and not include Moab!

;),

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Thank you Woody. I normally shoot like this with the Hasselblad 28 but when I went to the H2D 39 me and my dealer were told I could not use it. During the trip I was called by Hasselblad and told I could. Oh well.