Site Sponsors

Thread: Sebastiao Salgado; Genesis in NYC

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sebastiao Salgado; Genesis in NYC

up until jan 11 at the International Center for Photography, 43rd and 6th ave

saw this today; an impressive mega-show, all large b/w prints, well over a hundred images i am sure.

a few comments:

he is a master at chiaroscuro, texture, line and composition; some truly amazing landscapes playing with abstraction and scale.

the printing is digital on Ilford.

for those of us used to the crisp detail, fineness of focus and exceptional resolution of medium format digital, you may be disappointed technically. grain is emphasized, many highly detailed images are not quite in sharp focus, contrast is maybe over emphasized, near/far compositions beg for a better depth of field usage, blah, blah, blah.

an exceptional image maker and an inspiring show

also opening (simultaneously) at Yancey Richardson in Chesea, NYC, 12/11-1-24, opening on 12/11
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sebastiao Salgado; Genesis in NYC

I saw it in London and thought it was excellent. When you remember the conditions many of the images were shot under and the chance events endemic to nature photography, its all the more remarkable. Personally, I thought the digital printing was superb, with only a couple of over-manipulated examples in the whole 200 shot (or so) show. His printing team have done a great job of merging the digital and film captured images, in the main.

I'm a particular fan of his abstract and semi-abstract nature images and there are some crackers in this exhibition...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images