The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Peter Lik 6.5 million $ Antelope canyon picture

Pearson

When I was there I skipped that shot, because I believed giving it up to get more space away from the other photographers would be worth more.
It is an amazing location, before I had been, every picture I saw of it was stunning to me.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think that shooting the cliche shots is perfectly ok, although as a pro you probably have to add it to your portfolio for the masses. However, once that's out of your system, the real artistic value is shooting something unique that might just be somewhere in your backyard and not at all shot by the masses. Get the main shot out of your system and then get creative on a personal level elsewhere.

I love the images of the likes of Christopher Burkett and Charlie Cramer because they show the beauty of locations that are NOT the spectacular light/weather at well known locations. They are absolutely beautiful and could have been shot in your own local woodland or even backyard. That's where the art and value is - not the spectacular cliched locations.

However, if I were running workshops, I'd be taking my clients to the prime locations at the best times so that they can get their portfolio images, even if not at all unique. That's what would pay that bill and is expected. However, as an artist I'd go back on my own trip and look for something 'mine' and unique. I might fail, I might end up shooting a fern in the car park, but I'd want my own images.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well said Graham and even though we do that on our workshops we certainly scout other locations that great images can be made from. As a instructor myself giving your participants as many good locations to shoot from Is first why they are there in the first place. We all want to go home with something special be it one it a hundred that is the end goal. Honestly Tunnel View in Yosinte is not even where Ansel shot his famous half whatever view. It's up in a hill behind the parking lot but the trees have grown. See my point is you can take folks to the iconic spots but let them get there own .

I'm sure I'll be getting hate mail but photography is about creating art and having fun. Don't copy others do your own thing it actually maybe far better and usually is.

Dale Allyn

However, as an artist I'd go back on my own trip and look for something 'mine' and unique. I might fail, I might end up shooting a fern in the car park, but I'd want my own images.
That's how I approach places like Yosemite (the valley and high country). It's one of my favorite places on Earth (I was a climber there for years), whether in photo-mode or just taking it in. I have some of the "cliche' " images, and some which are not at all like others I've seen captured there. The latter examples are my favorites by far, some of which I've never shared, but simply printed for my own pleasure. Such places offer inspiration (to me) and beautiful scenes abound without even including the classic monolithic cliffs which, to many, define the valley.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Many years ago, while still living in Norway, yacht racing was my favourite pastime. At one particular race, we were in the middle of the field and one of the crew suggested that we sail on the opposite side of the course. I was against it, saying that nobody else had gone that way. He then answered: "That's why we should go there. Either we win, or we'll be so far behind that nobody will notice if we return home."

We did as he said, were later overtaken by a plastic mug, and returned home for an early dinner without anybody noticing. I still sail on the opposite side, particularly when taking photos. There have been many early dinners, but now and then, I get images that others don't :)

Last edited:

GregMO

I think that shooting the cliche shots is perfectly ok, although as a pro you probably have to add it to your portfolio for the masses.
I completely agree. Earlier this year, I licensed 29 images for a book (including cover) on Washington, DC. As well as licensing images for gallery wraps sold thru Walmart, Kmart, Sears, Amazon, ex. If you don't have the images taken, you're out of luck on some relatively easy income streams.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I completely agree. Earlier this year, I licensed 29 images for a book (including cover) on Washington, DC. As well as licensing images for gallery wraps sold thru Walmart, Kmart, Sears, Amazon, ex. If you don't have the images taken, you're out of luck on some relatively easy income streams.
Oh, but absolutely. When I look at my stock portfolio, it's the "boring" photos that have been taken by zillions of other photographers too that sell in volume. "Interesting" photos that get "Likes" on forums like this don't sell much.

Mike M

Thanks for that link. I can definitely understand why that would make some photographers mad. I used to hate it in school when other photographers would steal my locations after I had scouted them.

We have to understand that there is a difference between landscape photography and "landscape photography." If a person can use GPS to find an exact location of a point-of-view that has already been discovered by a previous photographer, then he's just a tourist visiting a location and taking a souvenir photo for solemnization. It's no different than taking a picture of the Eiffel tower when visiting Paris or the pyramids when visiting Egypt.

A lot of what passes for landscape photography today is nothing but photo tourism. Real landscape photography never stops being a mode of discovery.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Well. I have no objection to Peter Lik (or anyone else) making lots of money, good luck to him.
I have a real problem with Beautiful Places for photography, because often there is nothing to add. But unlike Brad, I haven't given up, but I go to ordinary places and hope for extraordinary moments.

jonoslack

it really is all about the moment, eh?
That's what I think. Modern cameras with IBIS and decent high ISO are so great, because it means you can travel light when looking for that moment. Tripods are real moment killers for me!