Site Sponsors

Thread: A Fine Resolve ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A Fine Resolve ...

In the past couple of years, I've let my printing get haphazard ... only printing once in a while in bunches, having to clean heads and test nozzles, having to relearn my print workflow, etc. It's much better to print every week, even if it's just to make a couple of prints. Better for me, better for the machinery—keeps everything working smoothly and up to date.

So, starting this week, I will make two prints every week. They don't have to be huge, they don't have to be of photos made during the week, but they have to be the best quality I can muster. There's something magical about a good print, to me anyway. I like holding prints and looking into them. The feel of the paper, the way the light flows into and illuminates the image... It just does more for me than any amount of looking at a photo on a display does.

I figure at the very least I'll have 50-100 prints to use as gifts next holiday season this way. :-)

Anyone else want to do this? We could start a thread and show our "Prints of the Week" ...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A Fine Resolve ...

Sounds like a good idea. My 3880 is suffering from my infrequent printing. Yesterday, it dropped black ink poops on an A2 print that I was going to give to a client

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I made my first print today from a new camera. It *does* look much better than seeing it on a screen.

Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A number of years ago, I checked out an exhibit of Edward Weston's prints; mostly 8x10 or 5x7 contact prints. Ever since then, I've had this idea of making high-quality 4x6 prints. (Now where's my 9-color Epson Picturemate?)

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Setting the bar at Edward Weston's B&W prints is certainly the way to go, although it's a very very high bar!! I just happened to see an original of his 1927 Shell prints this weekend and it was exquisite! I was about $250k short to buy it though!!

Prints definitely look better than online renderings IMHO. That said, some subjects look better on screen than printed and vice versa. What can appear mundane on screen can look spectacular in a large print.

I try to print only at 11x17 or above these days.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm making my standard prints on 13x19 half-sheet paper (9.5x12.5 inches essentially). Larger than that gets cumbersome to store or ship, smaller isn't quite large enough to satisfy me. I like that it's not a standard size too, makes them a little special. Actual image area varies depending upon the print.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey,

I had the same storage problem myself and in the end settled upon picking up a print/drawing storage cabinet. Problem solved so long as I keep it under 24x36in! Before this I was using large portfolio folders/boxes.

Keep a look out for office furniture sales (eg Craigslist), or private sales. I was going to order one from an art supply store but decided that I didn't want to pay $1500 and picked it up used instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, speaking of printing big, just produced this at 40x40in on Hanhnemulle Canvas for a friend.

Last edited by GrahamWelland; 6th January 2015 at 21:41.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn, that was a confusing picture. In desperation, I held my laptop sideways and then I could see the car interior.

--Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Godfrey,

I had the same storage problem myself and in the end settled upon picking up a print/drawing storage cabinet. Problem solved so long as I keep it under 24x36in! Before this I was using large portfolio folders/boxes.

Keep a look out for office furniture sales (eg Craigslist), or private sales. I was going to order one from an art supply store but decided that I didn't want to pay $1500 and picked it up used instead.
    While a nice thought, it can't work for me. There is simply no space in my home for another piece of furniture like that, and I'm not about to move to larger quarters.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I want to try small prints because even 2 prints/week is 104 prints/year! I thought I'd like to Blu-Tak mine directly to the wall and have a constantly-changing exhibit, trying out new images and removing ones which don't seem to be aging well.

How are folks illuminating their display space? My apartment is a cave.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

timely; as a matter of fact, just printed a couple of things last week after a considerable lapse.

printed this baby using piezograpy K7 inks; took some monkeying to get a print as nice as the web version
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Damn, that was a confusing picture.
    At first I thought it was a yacht or aircraft interior with curved walls

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My first thought was "submarine?".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, I hate my iPhone sometimes. This time I uploaded a replacement jpg with rotated content vs a tag that iDevices seem to recognize only.

Anyhoo, the point was that the 40x40in image is the biggest that I can transport these days

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    At first I thought it was a yacht or aircraft interior with curved walls
    Range Rover Land Yacht, aka the new camera bag

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Graham. It must have taken hours to empty that Range Rover camera bag so you could deliver that canvas....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyhoo, the point was that the 40x40in image is the biggest that I can transport these days
    ---
    Range Rover Land Yacht, aka the new camera bag
    Hmm. I'd be hard put to even think about transporting something like that. I'd have to hire something to do it. Something about having a 2-seat sports coupe ... :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Wow, Graham. It must have taken hours to empty that Range Rover camera bag so you could deliver that canvas....
    Luckily it's still new and a road trip virgin so it was already empty. Now if it had been last week's rental SUV in the desert SW we'd be talking serious reorganization - think two photographers with too much stuff but thankfully limited by airline travel!

On a general note, just print as big as your car can carry - there's your limit.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily it's still new and a road trip virgin so it was already empty. Now if it had been last week's rental SUV in the desert SW we'd be talking serious reorganization - think two photographers with too much stuff but thankfully limited by airline travel!

On a general note, just print as big as your car can carry - there's your limit.
    I think I'll do better printing as large as I can carry on my bicycle. That way I'm sure it will fit in the car!

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just had 2 panoramic images printed @ 16" deep X 6' wide. Now there is a an experience that the monitor just can not provide.

Our new home has an incredible amount of wall space and 17" X 22" prints from my 3880 look tiny ... so I have to go elsewhere for the big stuff.

Now I am going to get the panos mounted and realized from this thread I'd have no way to safely transport them back to my home.

Have to make friends with someone that owns a truck

- Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So I have actually started the "two prints per week" project. It always amazes me how much stuff you have to think through when you want to actually produce something... :-)

All this talk of size and gigunda prints. Sizing for this project's prints is a concern as the prints have to be easily storable and transportable. With around 100 prints per year as the project's output, large scale prints are simply out of the question: I have no place to store them, never mind that I have no place to hang them.

All prints will be made to 13x19" half sheet, or 13x9.5", to begin. I think that will get trimmed down just a little bit because I found a good supply of storage boxes in 9x12 as well as clear bags in 9x12 size. I've ordered one box and 100 clear bags; when they arrive, I'll know the precise final dimensions and can then trim existing prints as well as my printing template for them.

That's a nice size for hand-held viewing, works nicely on the wall for a modest sized room, and is close to what I can produce in a book publication.

I've created a flickr album to track the prints I've made. I've got the first week's print images in there now... https://flic.kr/s/aHsk6Wcm4J

onwards!
    G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Woo hoo! 9x12 storage box and 9x12 sleeves have arrived. Now I will evaluate just exactly how to set my template and the cuts needed to make the weekly prints. Numbers 3 and 4 are picked, but I'll wait until I play with the sizing of the paper and the template to print as I'll want to print 1 and 2 over again, most likely.

Fun fun fun. :-)

G